Mountain Bike Shoe Maintenance?

MudLark

Hi guys,

I have a pair of carbon sole Lake mountain bike shoes. I have had them I think for about two years now. While they have been cleaned quite regularly of mud, et cetera, washed and dried out, I have not done anything about leather care. I see that Lake Shoes sell a leather care kit for something like R550. But I was wondering whether it's justified. Good old Kiwi polish seems to have done quite well for many other shoes I have had over the years but I am uncertain.

Anyone got any useful thoughts on the subject?

Cheers and TIA,

Mudlark

Lake shoes are made from Kangaroo Leather. Normal Kiwi polish doesn't really do the trick because the hide is very tough and not very porous.

I've had kangaroo leather shoes in the past, Carnac specifically and the Kangaroo leather care kits definitely made a difference.

I've not purchased the Lake Shoes Leather care kit yet but I can testify to the fact that kiwi shoe polish does nothing to care for the leather.

Many thanks indeed guys. Diesel, thanks for the pointer to the type of leather. Much as I don't want to, may be worth buying the correct thing then.

Many thanks indeed guys. Diesel, thanks for the pointer to the type of leather. Much as I don't want to, may be worth buying the correct thing then.

Yes I agree. The standard leather care products don't penetrate the external coating. The Lake kit consists of:

Kit includes:

• Pecard Leather Lotion for basic maintenance for Action Leather, Kangaroo & Full-grain Leather. (not usable on Suede Leather)

• Pecard Shoe Oil for conditioning & weather-proofing Kangaroo & Full-grain Leather. (not usable on Action Leather or Suede Leather)

• Pecard Leather Dressing for protecting, restoring & weather-proofing Kangaroo & Full-grain Leather. (not usable on Action Leather or Suede Leather)

• Applicator cloth

• Cleaning brush

The leaher dressing and, shoe oil and Lotion is likely available from a Barksole shoe repair outlet. You can benchmark the price of the Lake kit there.Last time I checked in on the pricing was for the Carnac shoes and the shoe store in Wynberg Cape Town has the necessary but it was around R50 saving. In today's money it might be R100 saving o maybe more. I don't have a feel for it. I'm sure the Lake package will be more premium priced but is it worth the hassle of running around looking?

Lake shoes are made from Kangaroo Leather. Normal Kiwi polish doesn't really do the trick because the hide is very tough and not very porous.

I've had kangaroo leather shoes in the past, Carnac specifically and the Kangaroo leather care kits definitely made a difference.

I've not purchased the Lake Shoes Leather care kit yet but I can testify to the fact that kiwi shoe polish does nothing to care for the leather.

Rule no. 1: Learn something new every day. Thanks, Monday sorted! :thumbup:

Kangaroo vs Kiwi, is it Friday yet?