Trails for the Lighty

sierrrd

Awe, 

It's a bit unclear to me these days which trails in the greater Cape Town area are open. I'd like to take my 5 year old son away for the day to either trails on farms around Somerwet West and/or Stellenbosch. He can push a hill or two and on the Green Belts and in Deep South we manage about 15K in a day or 30K a week. 

Does anyone have any ideas? Open pump tracks, open farms with easy trails? Dirtopia? 

Highly appreciated. 

I was guessing so, but I couldn't figure out if they really are. Thanks for the heads up. Their network is quite big. Where would you start? 

Is Southey also open, as I think it's a public park? 

I was guessing so, but I couldn't figure out if they really are. Thanks for the heads up. Their network is quite big. Where would you start?

Is Southey also open, as I think it's a public park?

Yes Southeys is open. And you won't need day permits like at the wannabees trails. I'm not sure whether you can get wannabees day permits as well right now? Maybe ping them in email or fb and confirm if you choose to go that way.

Another popular option is the G-spot and Eden in Stellies. Open, Free and loved by many. Maybe pop some love for the Stellenbosch Trail fund via snapscan if you ride there.

Jonkershoek also has a family friendly green trail close to the gate that doesn't get the love it deserves.

Thanks a lot PhilipV. 

I can confirm that Wannabees Day Permits are on sale at Somerbosch. So I'll take him there first, then go to Southeys, and round it off with a little surf on Strand Beach. 

I will keep G-Spot, Eden and J-Hoek in mind for another trip.  :thumbup:

On a related note: If anyone is looking for trails for the little ones in the Deep South: 

The following three have received some maintenance from local kids during Lockdown Level 4 and see kids on a daily basis these days: 

- Chapman's Peak Drive, Noordhoek side, by the booth
- Fish Hoek / Sun Valley, Kommetjie Road, perfect for the lightest ones

- Black Hill MTB, on Glencairn Expressway across from Stonehaven

Maybe abit further than you want to travel, but Hazendal wine farm has a kiddies pump track and a short 5km loop on thier grounds,..

They are basically across the road from kuilsriver golf club, on bottlery Road.. The winery is closed but the mtb side is open

Maybe abit further than you want to travel, but Hazendal wine farm has a kiddies pump track and a short 5km loop on thier grounds,..

They are basically across the road from kuilsriver golf club, on bottlery Road.. The winery is closed but the mtb side is open

Open for day visitors ?

Open for day visitors ?

Only the mtb side, the winery is closed for tastings and lunches...

I was last there beginning of the year and it was R25 PP if I remember correctly..

Last I heard they were open under level 3...

Edited by Darrynbp

Thanks a lot PhilipV.

I can confirm that Wannabees Day Permits are on sale at Somerbosch. So I'll take him there first, then go to Southeys, and round it off with a little surf on Strand Beach.

I will keep G-Spot, Eden and J-Hoek in mind for another trip. :thumbup:

On a related note: If anyone is looking for trails for the little ones in the Deep South:

The following three have received some maintenance from local kids during Lockdown Level 4 and see kids on a daily basis these days:

- Chapman's Peak Drive, Noordhoek side, by the booth

- Fish Hoek / Sun Valley, Kommetjie Road, perfect for the lightest ones

- Black Hill MTB, on Glencairn Expressway across from Stonehaven

I have most likely bumped into you at the second 2 of those with my 5yr old Danny wannabe. Thanks for the chappies hint

Steve

Drive out to bloemendal he will have the time of his life

NO day permits on the Tygerberg trails.

YES, Bloemendal certainly is THEE best spot for the cycling family  :thumbup:   :clap:

Drive out to bloemendal he will have the time of his life

Any non-member found on the trail will incur the wrath of Patrick Roberts, who is keen to hand out some Liverpudlian kisses to anyone contravening the law of the land. The rule about non-members not being allowed back just yet is from the landowners and not the club. So for now, until such time as this changes, please don't ride if you are not a member. Klipheuwel trail was lost a couple years ago due to one rogue rider having a snotty moment with a landowner, and some of the landowners are already moerig at the moment, especially on the farms on Bloemendal side along the Traverse.

Had a fantastic day out yesterday. Wannebees from Somerbosch is easy vibes, some climbs are a bit long for short legs, but with some support do-able. Did 11K there and then clocked another hour at Southeys. First time there. Somerset is lucky to have a public bike park which is bigger then The Bike Park in Uitsig. Saw lots of local kids becoming the new goats of tomorrow. 

Had a good takeaway from Fish 4 Africa in Strand and a rad surf afterwards. 

Bloemendal is a winner of course, we go there sometimes when we are with family on the West Coast. He'll enjoy that more though when he is ready for a 20er. 

Awe, 

It's a bit unclear to me these days which trails in the greater Cape Town area are open. I'd like to take my 5 year old son away for the day to either trails on farms around Somerwet West and/or Stellenbosch. He can push a hill or two and on the Green Belts and in Deep South we manage about 15K in a day or 30K a week. 

Does anyone have any ideas? Open pump tracks, open farms with easy trails? Dirtopia? 

Highly appreciated. 

Paradyskloof / Eden. Riding is free and there are lots of "play" area

. Somerset is lucky to have a public bike park which is bigger then The Bike Park in Uitsig. Saw lots of local kids becoming the new goats of tomorrow.

Lot of lobbying at the council by the wannabees followed by lot of sweat by school kids and a couple of dads followed by continual maintenance.

Hopefully we'll get some good maintenance done during/after winter, but with things being weird it might pass over the rainy season.

I might do some therapeutic spade swinging as well.