Removing Stuck MTB Pedal

Zama7

Hey Guys

Bought new look pedals on a lockdown special but now I am sitting with a problem. I was able to remove the right pedal easily but the left pedals is stuck. I have tried Q20, boiling water and a few other tips I found online but it is almost impossible to loosen the left pedal. Are there any other tips you guys can recommend ?  

Thanks 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Left pedal loosens clockwise? Also, more leverage and a way to keep the cranks in place helps. I put the pedal on the other crank arm facing inwards, so that it braced against the frame (with some cushioning).

Edited by usxorf

Left pedal loosens clockwise? Also, more leverage and a way to keep the cranks in place helps.

^^^This ^^^

Left pedal has a reverse thread

This technique always works for me and it may or it may not work for you:

Turn the crank so that the crank arm is pointing almost vertically downwards and the pedal is almost at the lowest point in the stroke. Fit the Allen key into the back of the pedal so that the long arm of the Allen key is horizontal to the ground and pointing forward towards the front of the bike. Put your foot on the long arm of the Allen key (while wearing decent shoes) and step onto it, forcing the long arm of the Allen key downwards.

How long have the pedals been in there? If any long amount of time and they are probably rusted in there. Then you got no chance. Perhaps drilling them out then in the middle of the thread.

Had the same problem. Tried everything. Nothing worked. Left them in, only cos I wanted to put them back on my A bike, so haven't tried the drilling bit yet. They're still good. Later might have to replace cranks.

Edited by mrcg

take A bottle of Q20 or if you can buy brand name penetrating fluid 

and leave the pedal submerged in A cup of that stuff for 3 days , should help if the pedal is not corroded in there 

If force doesn't work you're not using enough ????

Make sure you have a good quality Allen key and as stated by someone else I think. Have crank down allen key in (pointing to rear wheel) hold the other side crank and trap it los.

Make double sure you are turning the right way!

Use a spanner rather than an allen key. Use copper pipe for leverage. Alternatively shock also loosens almost anything. In other words use a hammer.

Use a spanner rather than an allen key. Use copper pipe for leverage. Alternatively shock also loosens almost anything. In other words use a hammer.

Thanks guys, used ample Q20 & bike grease kleener, extended the allen key and having the crank down allen key facing the rear wheel helped

Edited by Zama7

fewer and fewer pedals come out with the flats for A proper 15mm pedal wrench 

and when its really stuck you can also put some decent year son even A nice allen key