Removing Stuck MTB Pedal

Zama7

If the pedal wrench is not an option....the appropriate hex bit for your socket wrench will do a similarly good job (you need the leverage). Not to mention the socket bits are usually way better quality than the average Joe’s rusty mild steel allen key collection haha

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

would love to see how you remove my Candy's with that

I’d be willing to give it a proper go if you let me?

Do these pedals still have to work after removal?

Does removal include the threaded part?

How sensitive are you about the use of blunt and/or sheer force around your bike?

How do you feel about the phrases “lightly used” and “Normal scuff marks”

????

Edited by morneS555

Worst case scenario...take the bike to your lbs. What I couldn't get loose over a long period the technician did in a minute. I like to believe I did all the prep work for the easy removal.

Yes, I felt like a tool taking my bike in to get a pedal removed.

I now use anti seize grease. Makes life easier.

If you only have an Allen key hex on the pedal shaft then maybe try taking the crank off and holding the Allen key in a vice and using the crank arm itself as leverage to get the pedal off.

Obviously making sure you are turning in the correct direction.

The crank arm should be longer than your Allen key and you can get a better hold on it.

Once you do get the pedal off, make sure to apply some copper slip or anti seize paste to threads.

Makes life a whole lot easier going forward.

I’d be willing to give it a proper go if you let me?

Do these pedals still have to work after removal?

Does removal include the threaded part?

How sensitive are you about the use of blunt and/or sheer force around your bike?

How do you feel about the phrases “lightly used” and “Normal scuff marks”

????

???????????? ????????

Try remove the crank arme and place it in a vice with aluminum jaw then correct spanner with a pipe for leverage

If nothing else works, buy a bottle of Spanjaard Penetrating & Releasing Fluid and let it penetrate over a few days (lie the bike on the side and put the oil on the back of the threads at regular intervals). My experience has been that the Spanjaard stuff will penetrate and release what nothing else will. 

https://www.spanjaard.biz/product/penetrating-releasing-fluid/

Edited by MudLark

Hey Guys

Bought new look pedals on a lockdown special but now I am sitting with a problem. I was able to remove the right pedal easily but the left pedals is stuck. I have tried Q20, boiling water and a few other tips I found online but it is almost impossible to loosen the left pedal. Are there any other tips you guys can recommend ?  

Thanks 

So, have you decided on what new crankset you will treat yourself to?

When installing Pedals, remember, you don't need to tighten then in JMSP in.

Just lightly tight with the allen wrench or pedal spanner.

This....................is the important part when installing new pedals..........................