Can Sram SX 1x12 be changed to Shimano SLX 1x12?

iancarswell

Hi all

All the latest bikes are coming out with SRAM SX or NX which is fine for the time being, but regarding durability if it breaks should i want to upgrade it to Shimano XT or SLX 1x12 would I have to spend money on a new hub or would it fit on the current hub? The reason I am not considering GX is because I know it requires a XD driver which can work out rather costly.

Thank you

Yes you would need a new hub the micro spline hub is different to the one normal what everyone calls shimano freebody.

Changing freebody can be expensive and that's if the hub is compatible not worth doing if you have to buy a completely new hub and have the wheels rebuilt.

But thou the freebody might be expensive it will still be worth it in the long run as Sram cassettes are more expensive than Shimano.

I would either look for a bike with Shimano slx or XT running already or GX but wouldn't go any lower in their range.

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

You'll only need the shimano microspline freebody if you want the FULL shimano experience including the new 12 spd Shimano cassette.

if you go the sunrace cassette route you can go straight from SX to SLX or XT, GX, XTR or visa versa by just changing only the derailleur and shifters. The sunrace, SX, NX cassettes all use the 'normal' older shimano freebody spline configuration.

edit...you can even keep the 11-50T Sram SX cassette on the wheel and just get the SLX derailleur and shifter. Should work perfectly fine. 

Edited by morneS555

edit...you can even keep the 11-50T Sram SX cassette on the wheel and just get the SLX derailleur and shifter. Should work perfectly fine. 

This. 

All you need is a shifter and a derailleur. You can use your existing cassette and get a replacement from SUNRACE when the SX / NX wears out. 

Since the SRAM and Shimano 12 speed derailleurs seem to be cross compatible you can actually upgrade one part at a time. 

History is proving the SX and NX rear derailleurs to be pretty s*** in terms of quality of construction.

You can upgrade the derailleur and keep the rest the same and replace as they wear out.

Bear in mind that the Shimano 12 speed stuff hasn't been on the market nearly as long as SRAM's so all the issues aren't yet identified.

• 2 months later...

Thank you all for the feedback this most certainly helps

Hi iancarswell

I came across your post and am curious to know if you went forward with the Sram SX to Shimano upgrade? If you did, what did you have to replace? 

I am in a similar situation with the bike that I purchased, having a 12 speed Sram SX groupset. I would like to replace the rear derailleur before it breaks but not sure if I can replace the SX derailleur to the Shimano SLX derailleur only, at this stage (and maybe the shifter) or is there other parts I would need to replace as well.

Appreciate any input.

Hi iancarswell

I came across your post and am curious to know if you went forward with the Sram SX to Shimano upgrade? If you did, what did you have to replace? 

I am in a similar situation with the bike that I purchased, having a 12 speed Sram SX groupset. I would like to replace the rear derailleur before it breaks but not sure if I can replace the SX derailleur to the Shimano SLX derailleur only, at this stage (and maybe the shifter) or is there other parts I would need to replace as well.

Appreciate any input.

You can replace just the RD if you want, you will only need to change hub/freebody if you want the cassette with 10t - 50/51/52 

Hi

I unfortunately did not go that route however according to my understanding you can just swap the shifter and the RD and it should be smooth sailing. The SX cassette is the same as the sunrace cassette which can be used with both shimano and SRAM. It is only if you wanted a smaller cog (10 tooth) that you would have to upgrade the whole free body.

I'm riding with an SLX at the moment and I'm loving it.

Hope this helps

Hi iancarswell

Appreciate any input.

Hi

I unfortunately did not go that route however according to my understanding you can just swap the shifter and the RD and it should be smooth sailing. The SX cassette is the same as the sunrace cassette which can be used with both shimano and SRAM. It is only if you wanted a smaller cog (10 tooth) that you would have to upgrade the whole free body.

I'm riding with an SLX at the moment and I'm loving it.

Hope this helps

Okay. Thanks for the feedback. I also heard that it is just a swop but there are so many opinions on this that it's confusing. Was hoping to get some feedback from someone that might have actually done it.

Okay. Thanks for the feedback. I also heard that it is just a swop but there are so many opinions on this that it's confusing. Was hoping to get some feedback from someone that might have actually done it.

See above, Diesel in Dust & myself....  

See above, Diesel in Dust & myself....  

Yes, thank you. I saw and appreciate those posts. Can I use the the SX shifter if I swop out the derailluer or is it better to replace that with an SLX shifter at the same time?

Apologies for all the questions. I am still new to biking and all the different options and technologies just gets confusing.