3D Printing question

The Ouzo

First off I've never even seen a 3D printer in real life, but I do have a vague idea of how they work.

Lets say I have a plastic part the I want to re-design, what would be my options here?

I'm assuming the easiest would be a 3D scan of the part, re-design in favourite CAD type programme and then have it printed.

First off I've never even seen a 3D printer in real life, but I do have a vague idea of how they work.

Lets say I have a plastic part the I want to re-design, what would be my options here?

I'm assuming the easiest would be a 3D scan of the part, re-design in favourite CAD type programme and then have it printed.

https://www.onshape.com/

Very nice Free online design software.

Buy yourself a vernier caliperhttps://www.takealot.com/total-tools-150mm-vernier/PLID69205702?gclid=Cj0KCQjwoaz3BRDnARIsAF1RfLc0WjIhaXfpmqO2dlQGMlZfi-TyzWSkSdJ7J7TxvLt7uAbsvDnqzOEaAnPgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Measure each feature and do the CAD work yourself. Scanned items are inherently problematic to work with, rather design it from scratch.

https://www.onshape.com/

Very nice Free online design software.

Buy yourself a vernier caliperhttps://www.takealot.com/total-tools-150mm-vernier/PLID69205702?gclid=Cj0KCQjwoaz3BRDnARIsAF1RfLc0WjIhaXfpmqO2dlQGMlZfi-TyzWSkSdJ7J7TxvLt7uAbsvDnqzOEaAnPgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Measure each feature and do the CAD work yourself. Scanned items are inherently problematic to work with, rather design it from scratch.

one of the options in my head was measuring up and doing the design myself, I'll have to dig deep into the memory banks and remember some of the tech drawing I last did in 1993, but its probably something I'll enjoy.

one of the options in my head was measuring up and doing the design myself, I'll have to dig deep into the memory banks and remember some of the tech drawing I last did in 1993, but its probably something I'll enjoy.

HAHA, this is waaay easier.

Thing is to find someone that can print for you quickly and cheaply. Print as soon as possible as you will invariably need to go through design iterations.

"Fail fast" is a motto that resonated with me.

Build something as quickly as possible, so that you can learn and make improvements.

"1st time right" is a pipe dream 

HAHA, this is waaay easier.

Thing is to find someone that can print for you quickly and cheaply. Print as soon as possible as you will invariably need to go through design iterations.

"Fail fast" is a motto that resonated with me.

Build something as quickly as possible, so that you can learn and make improvements.

"1st time right" is a pipe dream 

I think I'm going to tackle it this way, just for ****s and giggles. I seem to recall the local Builders will do a 3D print if you bring them the design, since they're closer than walking distance from home it makes it convenient.

I recently designed my own item using Autodesk. Free download for 30 days and thereafter free for domestic use / non commercial gain. I have only ever designed basics things on Turbocad so was very hesitant. I soon got the hang of it. Saved the drawing to a .STL file. Emailed the .STL file to a chap with a 3D printer and voila. 4 samples later I was happy with the end result.

I use autodesk Fusion 360, free for hobbist use. It's quite effective but more complicated designs will take time to figure out the program and effectively work with it. 

3d prints will never be right first time, especially if you need to make holes right size etc.