Wix for web site building?

Henley 1

On behalf of a friend who has (like me) limited computer skills. Which application is most advisable for a simple web site that needs no animations and special stuff? I used Wix some time back and it worked well - and is free too. The old MS Frontpage was still the best but not available any more? any advice?

Wordpress....only hassle might be the initial setup but the host should be able to help here.

But if they can use Word they will get the hang of WP, its quite intuitive. 

Or if they have a few Rand then I'm sure someone could knock up a few pages for under R1000.
Seen a lot of specials on FB lately.

WordPress is best. You can purchase off the shelf templates with drag and drop content sections. It also allows you to install a wide variety of useful plugins, and should you ever wish to add more features, you have a platform that can manage it.

• 2 months later...

WordPress is best. You can purchase off the shelf templates with drag and drop content sections. It also allows you to install a wide variety of useful plugins, and should you ever wish to add more features, you have a platform that can manage it.

Just need to make sure to keep everything updated in future, Wordpress is notorious for having vulnerable plugins if not kept updated.

Speaking from experience, I tried to save a buck and do it myself. Honestly not worth it. Get a couple of quotes and pay for a professional site that works on a PC, Tablet and Phone.  

Wordpress you can update some simple stuff afterwards like blogs etc but doing the whole layout yourself is very time consuming. 

Edited by Let's Ride

Wordpress used to have quite a few responsive templates, making the DIY option easy and convenient to get up and running.

Now they have a limited number that are fugly.

Both club and race websites are DIY websites using Wordpress. I prefer they keep it simple with basic information one one page.

• 2 months later...

I use both WordPress and Wix for my websites, both are good and easy in use. Also you need to find cheap ssl certificate to protect your users data. Plus Google ranks websites with SSL higher in search results and this certificate shows that your website is safe.

Edited by greys

• 4 weeks later...

Wordpress is actually not that hard to setup. My hosting places have nice GUIs to create the databases, too.

• 1 year later...