10 speed wide ratio cassette

milansosic88

Hi guys

Thinking of getting a 10 speed sunrace 11-42t cassette. Anyone running a wide ratio cassette ? How do you find it ?

cant afford to upgrade to 11 speed yet.

regards 

Milan

Hi guys

Thinking of getting a 10 speed sunrace 11-42t cassette. Anyone running a wide ratio cassette ? How do you find it ?

cant afford to upgrade to 11 speed yet.

regards 

Milan

When I started out I used it for the first year.

It really helps to have the granny gear while you (re)building the leg muscles ....

The gaps are noticable, but it is a small price to pay for the extra range.  Before long you will find that the 42 is not used anymore, swop back the cassettes for the closer ratios.

Depending on the budget ... the next step may be an 11 speed setup, with decent trigger and derailure.  This is simply so much more robust than the entry and mid range 12 speed systems !!  

I'm running a Shimano HG500 cassette, they can be had for R500-600.

11-42T, 10spd with a 32T chain ring.

Can't fault the setup.

Will do an 11spd 11-46T setup eventually, but very happy with what I'm running now, especially for the money.

As Chris said, you may notice the gap in the gearings, feeling like you want something inbetween 2 of the sprockets but you will forget about it after a while as you get used to it.

I have a 10 speed 11-50 cassette. I find the jumps too big. Planning on removing it and replacing it with a 11-42. This cassette of mine would probably be better suited on a heavy trail bike to get it to the top of the trail and bomb back down. For the way i ride i need the jumps to be smaller.

Had the 11-42 10 speed sunrace on my scott spark 730. 34 oval at the front and worked like a dream until it was nicked.
I have the eagle 50 on my new bike now and the only difference I felt was the jumps between gears are smaller. I was stronger for it though, you're forced to take that tougher gear if the next one is too light.

I used to ride 11-46 10spd. Works great. Went 12 speed and it fills the gaps much better between the ratios.

But it is definitely hepful having those low range gears. Whereabouts do you stay? Then i can borrow you my 10speed casette to see how it feels

I used to ride 11-46 10spd. Works great. Went 12 speed and it fills the gaps much better between the ratios.

But it is definitely hepful having those low range gears. Whereabouts do you stay? Then i can borrow you my 10speed casette to see how it feels

Thanks for the offer, but i got too excited and went and got one already...lol

the comments were enough to convince me.

will start saving up for a 11 speed and upgrade slowly.

Once again thank you all for the feedback.

With my first mountain bike (2×10) I upgraded from a standard cassette (can't remember what) to a Praxis wide range cassette (11 – 40) and it made quite a big difference for me as a beginner, especially on very steep climbs. I found the intervals very workable. I find that my 1 x 12 doesn't have much more of a range but obviously not having to fiddle around with the front chain rings while on the move does help.

Have used both the Sunrace and Shimano cassettes. No problems either way.

Running an 11-42 with a 34 front oval.

Im running the sunrace 10spd 11-46 cassette with a 34 Rapide chainring. cassette goes as follows: 11/13/15/18/21/24/28/34/40/46. with this setup i get up most hills, if i HAD to change id get the 11/51 12spd sunrace cassette, it has much closer ratios at the top (...33/39/45/51) and doesnt require a microspline or XD driver. the cassette is R1600 odd at Bike Addict.

the 10spd cassette i refer to is available at Evobikes for R795 https://www.evobikes.co.za/components/cassettes/cassette-sunrace-ms2-10spd-11-46t.html

Oh one last thing, I needed a hanger extender, got one from Rapide for R219 or something. https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-derailleur-hanger-extender/

she runs fine, no issues, except my legs hurt when I dont ride often enough...

My build:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/183321-3x10-to-1x10-merida-big-nine-ht-conversion-on-a-budget/

Edited by gemmerbal

Im running the sunrace 10spd 11-46 cassette with a 34 Rapide chainring. cassette goes as follows: 11/13/15/18/21/24/28/34/40/46. with this setup i get up most hills, if i HAD to change id get the 11/51 12spd sunrace cassette, it has much closer ratios at the top (...33/39/45/51) and doesnt require a microspline or XD driver. the cassette is R1600 odd at Bike Addict.

the 10spd cassette i refer to is available at Evobikes for R795 https://www.evobikes.co.za/components/cassettes/cassette-sunrace-ms2-10spd-11-46t.html

Oh one last thing, I needed a hanger extender, got one from Rapide for R219 or something. https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-derailleur-hanger-extender/

she runs fine, no issues, except my legs hurt when I dont ride often enough...

My build:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/183321-3x10-to-1x10-merida-big-nine-ht-conversion-on-a-budget/

+1 on the hanger extender....

Thanks for the offer, but i got too excited and went and got one already...lol

the comments were enough to convince me.

will start saving up for a 11 speed and upgrade slowly.

Once again thank you all for the feedback.

12speed is much more affordable nowadays...perhaps go that route once your new casette is worn out :)

+1 on the hanger extender....

+2 

The 10 speed derailleurs weren't designed for the massive cassettes, so the shifting becomes sluggish. I ran a 1x10 setup for a while with an 11-42 and it worked perfectly, especially with the extender fitted.