Tokai Trails

Andrew Buckley

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently it's open. Keen to know about whether expired cards will have a window of extension

I rode to Tokai today, expecting it to be open, given that Table Mountain National Park is open, but it is closed.  Got there about mid-day.

Andrew

It appears that you are allowed to ride in tokai but the only access is to ride in from silvermine. Bottom gates locked

And then how do you get out?

Someone on twitface post screen shot of details pleash

Apparently it's open. Keen to know about whether expired cards will have a window of extension

Officially Tokai is still closed.

Activity cards will be extended and the sales office in Tokai is open again.

This is a copy and paste from the manager responsible for activity card sales in the park - 

'The wild card office is open again if people need to renew their permits

We are also extending permits by three months if the card was valid or expired during lockdown.

If card expired before lockdown regrettably no extension

Extensions need to be processed onto the card which requires the person to come and have the card updated

No cost and no photo required for the extension'

And then how do you get out?

Someone on twitface post screen shot of details pleash

You ride out the top?

I'm not on twitter, so can neither confirm nor deny anything! hahahaha

That latest statement says it remains closed for riding and other activities!? ????‍♂️

Through the grapevine it seems likely that Tokai will open officially for riding (hopefully) soon. Until then rather give it a skip even if you can get in through a dodgy back door. There are several good reasons for this. 1) It will just tick off Sanparks and make Tokai MTBs job more difficult. 2) If you have a crash up there at the moment, you are not going to get rescued with a broken leg because there won't be help. 3) some of the trails will need repair work after 3 months and some very heavy winter rainfall.

Through the grapevine it seems likely that Tokai will open officially for riding (hopefully) soon. Until then rather give it a skip even if you can get in through a dodgy back door. There are several good reasons for this. 1) It will just tick off Sanparks and make Tokai MTBs job more difficult. 2) If you have a crash up there at the moment, you are not going to get rescued with a broken leg because there won't be help. 3) some of the trails will need repair work after 3 months and some very heavy winter rainfall.

Safety is also an issue in that the Rangers and TokaiMTB bakkie are not patrolling so perps have free reign of the area

Just check Strava searched vasbyt today there was 7-8 riders that rode. All of them looked to have gone back up via Silvermine gate to exit.

...these are just Strava users of course