Tokai Trails

Andrew Buckley

Through the grapevine it seems likely that Tokai will open officially for riding (hopefully) soon. Until then rather give it a skip even if you can get in through a dodgy back door. There are several good reasons for this. 1) It will just tick off Sanparks and make Tokai MTBs job more difficult. 2) If you have a crash up there at the moment, you are not going to get rescued with a broken leg because there won't be help. 3) some of the trails will need repair work after 3 months and some very heavy winter rainfall.

All of this.

For me. The thing that Tokai has going for it is the convenience factor. If you have a time limit you just ride until you can and when you are done you point your bike down the hill and 5 minutes later you are at your car. Having to access and leave from the top removes a lot of it's appeal.

Plus with all the other legal riding once again available why bother? Locally all of the greenbelts and all of the other Sanparks stuff including all the stuff on TM is available. There's also that new trail from Camps Bay to sample.

Further afield all of the amazing quality stuff in stellies is available. All of the tygerberg stuff is available for members. Helderberg is open for day visitors.

Jonkers is so good right now that I don't need to spend thousands on a plane ticket to France to get my Bikepark fix. That new climb trail is a wonder and the trails are running so well.

We are so spolit for choice.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Officially Tokai is still closed.

Activity cards will be extended and the sales office in Tokai is open again.

This is a copy and paste from the manager responsible for activity card sales in the park - 

'The wild card office is open again if people need to renew their permits

We are also extending permits by three months if the card was valid or expired during lockdown.

If card expired before lockdown regrettably no extension

Extensions need to be processed onto the card which requires the person to come and have the card updated

No cost and no photo required for the extension'

An update on this - 

The sales office has now been closed with immediate effect for 14 days.

No reason has been provided but I think we can all take a pretty good guess as to why.

All of this.

For me. The thing that Tokai has going for it is the convenience factor. If you have a time limit you just ride until you can and when you are done you point your bike down the hill and 5 minutes later you are at your car. Having to access and leave from the top removes a lot of it's appeal.

Plus with all the other legal riding once again available why bother? Locally all of the greenbelts and all of the other Sanparks stuff including all the stuff on TM is available. There's also that new trail from Camps Bay to sample.

Further afield all of the amazing quality stuff in stellies is available. All of the tygerberg stuff is available for members. Helderberg is open for day visitors.

Jonkers is so good right now that I don't need to spend thousands on a plane ticket to France to get my Bikepark fix. That new climb trail is a wonder and the trails are running so well.

We are so spolit for choice.

The risk factor of getting injured anywhere within the vast network of trails in Tokai does make it unappealing. Don't ride alone.

But its not the park access itself that is closed, its actually just the Access gates that have pay points. There are rangers in there apparently as people have reported on other groups that on occasion they've just been asked to show their Activity Cards. 

Its a royal confusing mess. Getting injured in  tokai on your own could result in a very cold lonely night with only a troop of baboons for company

Getting injured in  tokai on your own could result in a very cold lonely night with only a troop of baboons for company

Don't you have loved ones that would notice your absence?

hahahahahaha My loved ones would suggest I would be spending the night with my family.......

I am keen on hitting Tokai but I'm also not keen on getting in trouble. I might tentatively take a slow ride up Ben's Bomb from home and scope it out tomorrow.

This 3 day break in the weather is a good excuse to get outside before going storm chasing on foot on Friday/Saturday...... If the wind behaves Crayfish Factory might be on too...... Dungeons will definitely be on

Don't you have loved ones that would notice your absence?

ROTFLMAO.....

It depends....If they're watching a chick flick I could probably set myself alight and they wouldn't notice!

But if the fire needs to be lit, wifi is down, etc etc etc even the loo is too far away

Edited by DieselnDust

ROTFLMAO.....

It depends....If they're watching a chick flick I could probably set myself and they wouldn't notice!

But if the fire needs to be lit, wifi is down, etc etc etc even the loo is too far away

Sounds like my house :D  ;)

A quick update here.

As above you can access and leave via Ou Wa Pad but please for now avoid The Donkey Trail and The Switchbacks.

Donkey needs some repair work to make it safe after the recent rains and The Switchbacks exit is blocked by a couple of large trees that have fallen and are dangerous to try and bypass.

You may enter Tokai to ride but it has to be through a non gated entrance and exit the same way. The only non gated entry is at the bottom entrance (So Southern) of Die Ou Wapad. If you are fit the ride is a singe if not well good luck but be aware of the risks. I have never had issues with safety on Ou Wapad.

Just be aware that the service/gravel road from Silvermine tar road to level 5 has a lot of fallen rock from the mountain on it.

Edited by porqui

Well done to all involved getting us here, for the many meetings and behind the scenes work just to let us go pedal around in the dirt. Big high five. 

• 1 month later...

Quick update - 

The Tokaimtb emergency contact number has had to change as during lockdown Vodacom reclaimed the number due to it not being 'in use' for a period of three months. Apparently putting airtime into the number doesn't class as in use. 

The new number to call if you find an inventive way to end your ride or spot anything odd or out of place is 072 768 5997

Sorry for the inconvenience, this one was on me. And a Vodacom system that cannot possibly understand why a phone may be a bit quiet during a national lockdown. But mostly me...

The changes will be published on social media but please send the new number on to anybody you know with a propensity for crashing or that rides Tokai a lot.

.................but please send the new number on to anybody you know with a propensity for crashing or that rides Tokai a lot.

Got it Mark, thanks, I know you are talking to me :blush:  ;)

Quick update - 

The Tokaimtb emergency contact number has had to change as during lockdown Vodacom reclaimed the number due to it not being 'in use' for a period of three months. Apparently putting airtime into the number doesn't class as in use. 

The new number to call if you find an inventive way to end your ride or spot anything odd or out of place is 072 768 5997

Sorry for the inconvenience, this one was on me. And a Vodacom system that cannot possibly understand why a phone may be a bit quiet during a national lockdown. But mostly me...

The changes will be published on social media but please send the new number on to anybody you know with a propensity for crashing or that rides Tokai a lot.

I see Headshot hasn't responded yet...