Tokai Trails

Andrew Buckley

Yeah that mud pool after Rinkals caught me out yesterday...

I got my front wheel jammed and went OTB. Luckily just costed me a swim and blow to the ego. That is a serious hazard tho and i recon someone will not be so lucky soon and will get hurt.

I had noted to the oke in Tokai bakkie (not Deon) on my way out yesterday.

I think I saw you ride up, was quite funny.

I would have done the same thing if my mate hadn't already been there and told me it was better to walk past.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of good news from tomorrow, Saturday 17th October, the gate will be manned again.

This means you can now buy a day permit over weekends and also park in the picnic area again.

Thanks Mark - was there today while Milly was cleaning around the entrance.

All the sticks / logs looked like snakes today - what a nervous ride :w00t:

Thanks Mark - was there today while Milly was cleaning around the entrance.

All the sticks / logs looked like snakes today - what a nervous ride :w00t:

They are around.

I nearly rode over a big puff adder on Sunday, neither he or I were amused.

A bit of good news from tomorrow, Saturday 17th October, the gate will be manned again.

This means you can now buy a day permit over weekends and also park in the picnic area again.

Awesome, do you know if we can park inside silvermine again as well?

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning, we recently moved to to Tokai, I love MTB but my wife is more of a jogger/hiker. I am looking to get the activity pass but on the SANParks website it says that the activity pass does not cover running/hiking? Also we would like to train swinning in the silvermine dam but there is also no mention of swimming in the activity pass? 

Could someone please help a newbie out? It also seems like the wild card only grants you access to the parks and then you are also not allowed to do any activities so that also seems to be a no go for us?

I don't think you need an Activity Card for running in Tokai - you certainly don't need one for the rest of TM. (unless you're taking a dog along)

You need a Level 3 Activity Card for cycling.

Not sure about access to the dam/

You don't need an activity permit for hiking or running anywhere in TMNP, or trad climbing for that matter. Everything else you need one....even dog walking...yes I'm looking at you dog walkers who give us k@k but don't yourselves have a permit (or a leash for that matter mostly).

Edited by Thermophage

You don't need an activity permit for hiking or running anywhere in TMNP, or trad climbing for that matter. Everything else you need one....even dog walking...yes I'm looking at you dog walkers who give us k@k but don't yourselves have a permit (or a leash for that matter mostly).

2 things they dont do while breaking the law!

100% - self righteous knobs

If you stick to Tokai, you won't have to deal with dogs or (usually) any hikers or runners on the tracks. Just a few baboons, who are a pleasure compared to dog walkers.

Always pass them BABOONS nervously, but they so chilled. Its the youngster that dart about all over the place. I am scared of riding over one and then...........

edited for MTBEER! sorry for my lack if description

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Always pass them nervously, but they so chilled. Its the youngster that dart about all over the place. I am scared of riding over one and then...........

you talking about baboons or dog walkers?

Awesome, do you know if we can park inside silvermine again as well?

Sorry I forgot to get back about this.

I am told that Silvermine parking is open now.

Good morning, we recently moved to to Tokai, I love MTB but my wife is more of a jogger/hiker. I am looking to get the activity pass but on the SANParks website it says that the activity pass does not cover running/hiking? Also we would like to train swinning in the silvermine dam but there is also no mention of swimming in the activity pass? 

Could someone please help a newbie out? It also seems like the wild card only grants you access to the parks and then you are also not allowed to do any activities so that also seems to be a no go for us?

You don't need the activity card for running or hiking.

I'm not sure of the rules regarding swimming in the dam but lots of people do swim in there and as far as I know nobody has been in trouble for it. Again you wouldn't need an activity card.