Best fast rolling 2.3 tires

T_Boss

So I just recently got a new Stumpjumper ST and it comes fitted with really great tires for shredding tech trails, but they are totally overkill for 90% of riding (especially in dry winters)

Factory fitted is comes with Elimiator Grid Trails out front and Purgatory Grids out back, both in 2.3.

The rear tire is actually not too bad, and I might keep it as is, but I want to get a second front wheel at least, So I can save the Eliminator for when the conditions demand it, and run a more XC orientated, faster rolling tire up front for most of my riding.

So what would you guys suggest in 2.25to2.35 width to run out front on a trail bike, that will be doing a lot of XC/Marathon type riding as well?

I would normally just go straight for crossmark 2's but apparently they have been discontinued. What's the feeling on ikons?

I'm not looking for a super light tire, I still want decent puncture resistance, and they must have decent sidewalls. Just something that doesn't suck as much power as the eliminstors do

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the dealership just wants to sell me a set of ground controls, but my previous experience with ground controls on my XC bike was punctures for days. Have they improved the compound?

Obviously the dealership just wants to sell me a set of ground controls, but my previous experience with ground controls on my XC bike was punctures for days. Have they improved the compound?

From the options you've mentioned.

The newer Ground Control is my favoured front tyre for XC/ light trail bikes. Look to the GRID model for durability. The Maxxis Ardent (and the Race model) is another good choice for an in-between front tyre.

Ikons are also decent. Rolls well on the rear wheel. Less grip than the above two on the front. Don't go Crossmark - they've had their day.

Pirelli Scorpion H 2.4.

Can't really see how trail tyres are going to roll faster than a proper XC tyre

Black diamond eliminator

Or EXO+ Minion SS

Or Super gravity Rock Razor

Would there be that much difference between the GRID Trail eliminators and the blck diamond ones

So I just recently got a new Stumpjumper ST and

it comes fitted with really great tires for shredding tech trails, but they are totally overkill for 90% of riding (especially in dry winters)

Factory fitted is comes with Elimiator Grid Trails out front and Purgatory Grids out back, both in 2.3.

The rear tire is actually not too bad, and I might keep it as is, but I want to get a second front wheel at least, So I can save the Eliminator for when the conditions demand it, and run a more XC orientated, faster rolling tire up front for most of my riding.

So what would you guys suggest in 2.25to2.35 width to run out front on a trail bike, that will be doing a lot of XC/Marathon type riding as well?

I would normally just go straight for crossmark 2's but apparently they have been discontinued. What's the feeling on ikons?

I'm not looking for a super light tire, I still want decent puncture resistance, and they must have decent sidewalls. Just something that doesn't suck as much power as the eliminstors do

Specialized Ground Control is definitely one of the best tyres has a lot of grip and its a fast rolling tyre

Edited by Lomar Botha

Schwalbe Nobby nic rear and Addict on front. Both Tle and Evo tyres.

Thanks but no thanks. The only time I have ever had schwalbes was when they came as oem on a new bike. They normally only last a few weeks before they are totally destroyed, or I am gatvol of plugging holes

So I just recently got a new Stumpjumper ST and it comes fitted with really great tires for shredding tech trails, but they are totally overkill for 90% of riding (especially in dry winters)

i think you should go for a fast track 2.3 rear and ground control infront

best combo in the world

Would there be that much difference between the GRID Trail eliminators and the blck diamond ones

Not in rolling resistance.

Specialized have 5 sidewall casings

- Control (punctures if you think about rocks)

- Grid (strong, and light - great for most people). I use this for the front wheel.

- Grid Trail (a little heavier, a little stronger - I haven't tried it yet)

- Black Diamond (even heavier, much stronger). If you grip the sidewall between two fingers you will feel it's much sturdier than a Grid. I use this on the back wheel where I need a bit more protection from rock strikes.

- DH - As the name suggests.

All of them will grip about the same as they all use Gripton compound.

I love the Eliminator, but it sits in the same category as a Minion DHF. Not an XC tyre.

My choice in XC tyres on a trail bike is Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 on the back, Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the front.

I have long ridden with a Fast Trak rear and Ground Control front, always grid casing. I switched the Fast Trak to an Ikon 3C about 6 months ago and I am totally sold. The grip really surprised me. I ride in the magaliesberg on un-maintained hiking trails, lots of loose over hard and lots of sharp quartz and I am really surprised by the level of grip the Ikon 3C gives.

I have, over the years, ridden with a Crossmark, Crossmark II, Barzo, Ground Control and Fast Trak on the rear and honestly I believe the Ikon to be the best I have tried.

Have a look at the onza range, very capable tires...

I ride Onza svelt on the rear onza canis on I the front, for long rides on hardpack ground/farm roads/jeep track I go with the svelts front and rear

Edited by Darrynbp

Not in rolling resistance.

Specialized have 5 sidewall casings

- Control (punctures if you think about rocks)

- Grid (strong, and light - great for most people). I use this for the front wheel.

- Grid Trail (a little heavier, a little stronger - I haven't tried it yet)

- Black Diamond (even heavier, much stronger). If you grip the sidewall between two fingers you will feel it's much sturdier than a Grid. I use this on the back wheel where I need a bit more protection from rock strikes.

- DH - As the name suggests.

All of them will grip about the same as they all use Gripton compound.

I love the Eliminator, but it sits in the same category as a Minion DHF. Not an XC tyre.

My choice in XC tyres on a trail bike is Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 on the back, Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the front.

Thanks, I expected as much, which is why the recommendation surprised me.

I agree it's an amazing tire, which is why I want to keep it and get another front wheel made up, to run an XC tire on.