Best fast rolling 2.3 tires

T_Boss

Onza canis. They are tough and give great mileage. Nice and grippy and rolling resistance is good. I had basically every brand on my bike and they we're the only ones that did not have sidewall cuts. Only reason I did not buy then again was price.

But now that I have fitted ikon again I can see that they are worth it.

I am also very happy with my Onza Canis tyres. For the kind of riding I do (mostly XC with a bit of tech) they are definitely worth their price to me. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the Vittoria Barzo 2.35 Cape Cobra compound. I run that at the front and Mezcal at the back

Also running the Barzo 2,35 upfront and while it gives a lot of grip, it rolls well. First time I am on Vittoria tyres and having run them for the past 9 months, I have been very impressed - great puncture resistance, roll well, fairly decent weight and great wear.

I came from RoRo / RaRa combo and although the Vittoria are a tad heavier, they seem to be all round better tyres.

I've used Ardent in front and Ikons at the back, great combo for XC. Now using Schwalbe Nobby Nic in front and Racing Ralph in the back, also great combo, need to use the snakeskin version though for some protection.

I was looking to move the other way - I wanted something for my XC bike that was a bit more useful on the trails. I was running Ardent Race (2.3) up front and Aspen (2.25) at the back. I've now put the Ardent Race on the back with an Ardent (2.4) up front. This works well for me - rolls nicely, with more grip to enjoy the trails a bit more. I reckon this combo would work perfectly on a trail bike that's looking to roll faster.

i also have a stumpy and Run Ardent race front and back and they perform really well.

Next time though i might try rekon front & rekon race rear  

I'm going to be a wally here and say anyone recommending Vittoria or Schwalbe needs to try some other tires to see that some DO actually last longer than 10 rides before they fall apart....... :ph34r:

IMHO it's a gander between an IKON or the Ardent Race. Super fast if we are looking at rolling resistance being a main factor.

Ran a set of each on the XCO/AR donkey for ages and they are fantastic.

Things do get tricky when you start throwing in 'bite' and the ability to get loose, but rolling resistance/weight/reliability AND price all point me to one of those options

I have the Icon on the rear and the Ardent race in the front, my bike rolls like a dream and I reckon I have enough grip.

I don't want to start an argument. But I really am not interested in schwalbes. Once bitten twice shy. I have tried their heavier duty casings with very little success. I wouldn't even fit schwalbes to a commuter bike.

You are being contradictory here - your initial post was 'The only time I have ever had schwalbes was when they came as oem on a new bike'

Now you say you have tried heavier casings with little success. So which one is it - have you fitted their 'after market' tyres and given them a chance, or have you only had the OEM specced versions?

Had an Ardent Race on the back which was pretty good but still my fast rolling, great gripper in most things is a Spez' Slaughter in grid. Only time it got weird was in moon dust H/berg and then it was a drift fest and a hell of a lot of fun but everything else it has been amazing. Look, I wouldn't ride it in mud but have ridden them year round in most things. It's also way better than the E13 SS, Rock Razor or the Minion SS. If you were thinking of either of those then I'd go some where else and get one of the other suggestions.

If it's more trail you're looking for then a Ground control / Slaughter might be nice or Butcher / Ground control (?).

Ikon 2.35 fast, much better grip than the 2.2 Ikon as everything is a little bigger, good side knobs for cornering and it has BIG volume. Myne measured 62mm on vernier. And it's Maxxis so you can ride anything without stressing about the side walls. Weight not to bad either at around 750g.

They would have never been my first choice but as I had a free new set and needed tyres I slapped them on and have only been impressed.

You are being contradictory here - your initial post was 'The only time I have ever had schwalbes was when they came as oem on a new bike'

Now you say you have tried heavier casings with little success. So which one is it - have you fitted their 'after market' tyres and given them a chance, or have you only had the OEM specced versions?

Okay, my bad. My experience with the aftermarket schwalbes is second hand. Friends had them on their bikes, but I saw with my own eyes how the got shredded on relatively mild rocks, and I spent enough time next to the trail helping them fix flats

Okay, my bad. My experience with the aftermarket schwalbes is second hand. Friends had them on their bikes, but I saw with my own eyes how the got shredded on relatively mild rocks, and I spent enough time next to the trail helping them fix flats

I have heard many negative stories about the OEM specced Schwalbes - I assume the manufacturers fit them to keep prices down, and tyres are very much a personal preference, so regardless of what the bike comes with, many people will change tyres as soon as possible.

I ran Schwalbe Racing Ralphs with snake skin for several years - I never had issued and spent a lot of time cycling in the Magalies, which extremely rocky and tough on your tyres. I stopped running these as their cost got out of line with their competition unfortunately. Looking at comments in this thread, many people did like the Schwalbes, but pricing became an issue.

I since moved onto these in 2.35s: https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/equipment/cycling-components/bike-tires/mountain-bike-tires/bontrager-xr2-team-issue-tlr-mtb-tire/p/11866/?colorCode=black

Ah...the great tyre debate.  Usually 20 responses will give at least 15 different answers...

I run Maxxis Ardent front and Crossmark rear and have been for ages on my XC bike.  Since getting a trail bike that came with more aggressive tyres, I've really started to notice how crappy the grip of a Crossmark is (once you have perspective). Crossmarks are bullet proof, don't get me wrong, but they are definitely not grippy.  So I would probably go for an Ardent race for my rear tyre when the time comes to replace it.  

Made the jump from Ikon 2.2's to 2.35 on the front and rear about three weeks ago. I wish that I had done it ages ago. My riding is more marathon than anything else, so an Ardent race in the front is still a consideration if you are looking for a bit more grip and arent counting grams.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up keeping the purgatory grid on the rear, and fitted a slaughter Grid on the front, also in 2.3..... first big ride with it tomorrow, will report back on the results