Trail bike for my wife and I

DJP

Hi all,

Our MTBs were stolen two weeks ago and we are looking to replace and upgrade a bit.

We need some advice on trail bikes as this isn't something we often buy and the mtb models seem to change quite a bit each year. We also would prefer new bikes rather than second hand (based on previous experience with second hand bikes).

We mostly ride the trails in the Grabouw/Elgin area about 3 times a week. We don't do races and want bikes that we can have fun on the trails with, won't kill us on the hills and provide some confidence on more technical decent. 

We don't want to spend much more than R35 00 000 per bike (preferably around R25 000 - R30 000) complete, i.e. tubeless conversions and clipless etc.  

For my wife we are currently looking at a Scott Contessa spark 710 (2017), it's a carbon 27.5 which she feels will give a bit more confidence on the bendy single track sections (she had a 29er Merida). The older model also suits our budget.

I'm looking at getting a Specialized Stump Jumper Alloy ST (2020) or Giant Stance 2 (2020). My previous ride was a FS Merida XT 96. 

Other bikes on our short list are:

Merida One-Twenty 400 (2020)

Scott Spark 960 (2020)

Trek Fuel ex 5 (2020)

And then more toward wish list than shortlist are the Norco Fluid FS1, Giant Trance 2, GT Sensor elite or Carbon Stump jumper... but on these the price is getting a bit on the steep side for us. 

Help :-)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the bikes you have listed aren't Trial specific bikes, look at proper Trial bikes, look at the Scott Genius or something with more than 120mm travel, if you are just looking for a nice Dual suspension bike, the Merida is good value for money and you will find them on special at the moment, check out Bike-addict's website for more options.

I recently got the stumpy, same one you looking at. It's an amazing bike. It can handle XC/marathon duty as well at a push, but it's a beast on the trails. Wants to be ridden hard and fast.... But I'm not sure you going to find stock.... I was told the large i bought last week was the last one in the country. There is still one medium at the shop I bought from.

You will battle to find a bike with better finishing kit at that price point. Only let down is the rear shock. It works beautifully, but I don't think it will last well, definitely my first "upgrade"

Hi all,

Our MTBs were stolen two weeks ago and we are looking to replace and upgrade a bit.

We need some advice on trail bikes as this isn't something we often buy and the mtb models seem to change quite a bit each year. We also would prefer new bikes rather than second hand (based on previous experience with second hand bikes).

We mostly ride the trails in the Grabouw/Elgin area about 3 times a week. We don't do races and want bikes that we can have fun on the trails with, won't kill us on the hills and provide some confidence on more technical decent. 

We don't want to spend much more than R35 00 000 per bike (preferably around R25 000 - R30 000) complete, i.e. tubeless conversions and clipless etc.  

For my wife we are currently looking at a Scott Contessa spark 710 (2017), it's a carbon 27.5 which she feels will give a bit more confidence on the bendy single track sections (she had a 29er Merida). The older model also suits our budget.

I'm looking at getting a Specialized Stump Jumper Alloy ST (2020) or Giant Stance 2 (2020). My previous ride was a FS Merida XT 96. 

Scott Spark 960 (2020)

Trek Fuel ex 5 (2020)

And then more toward wish list than shortlist are the Norco Fluid FS1, Giant Trance 2, GT Sensor elite or Carbon Stump jumper... but on these the price is getting a bit on the steep side for us. 

you want to spend R30k per bike??

you jump on here and get a lot of bang4buck. don't delay

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/shop/sale/c/sale?q=%3Aprice-desc%3Aarchived%3Afalse%3Aclearance%3Atrue%3Agroup%3ABikes%3Agroup%3AFramesets%3Aexperience%3ATrail

I recently got the stumpy, same one you looking at. It's an amazing bike. It can handle XC/marathon duty as well at a push, but it's a beast on the trails. Wants to be ridden hard and fast.... But I'm not sure you going to find stock.... I was told the large i bought last week was the last one in the country. There is still one medium at the shop I bought from.

You will battle to find a bike with better finishing kit at that price point. Only let down is the rear shock. It works beautifully, but I don't think it will last well, definitely my first "upgrade"

I got the Camber back in '17 when they were still available. The camber is the Stumpy without all the glory, but mine handles XC type of environment as well as gnarly trails (think Jonkers Red Phoenix, Contermans Revised DH etc) with equal aplomb. Mine is 120mm up front and back and the rear Fox is still holding up pretty well. I am very pleased with my bike even after all this time.

Most of the bikes you have listed aren't Trial specific bikes, look at proper Trial bikes, look at the Scott Genius or something with more than 120mm travel, if you are just looking for a nice Dual suspension bike, the Merida is good value for money and you will find them on special at the moment, check out Bike-addict's website for more options.

Huh? 120-140mm travel is exactly where a trail Bike should. And all those options mentioned are perfecty suited for the Elgin trails. They are not technical enough to warrant more than that.

Hi all,

Scott Spark 960 (2020)

Trek Fuel ex 5 (2020)

The ConTessa for Wifey sounds spot on.

If I were you I'd save up or make a plan to get the Trance2. Maybe see if yiu can find an older model somewhere with a lekker price?

But the Stumpy ST will probably be as good. With the Trek Fuel EX in third place.

I won't recommend the Giant Stance. At all.

recently got myself the Stumpy ST Carbon. Absolutely love it. Handles the rough stuff easily and climbs like a mountain goat

Tried to get a Stumpy on the sale in L and the warehouse is empty from the clearance. 

Our local Spez dealer gave us some insights in how many bike they've sold in the past three months and it's crazy. 

The ST is a lekker bike. As you said, a very capable platform.

But on the contrary I reckon the XFusion is fine (very underrated actually) but the RS Recon and the brakes will be the first upgrades I'll budget for if you push a bike hard.

I just got a 2020 Norco Fluid FS1, give Ian at Mellow Velo a call, he gave me, what I think was a super sweet deal on mine, just give him a call, you may be surprised....

I have to agree with this. The standard brakes on this is terrible. I have a XL Stumpy, and I love my bike, but I have since upgraded the brakes, fork and just recently the shock. Had some issues with the shock leaking, but this is apparently a known issue of the XFusion and Stumpy frame. RBC sorted it out for free under warranty. All said and done, if you ask me to buy a bike again...I would probably go for the ST again :)

The ST is a lekker bike. As you said, a very capable platform.
But on the contrary I reckon the XFusion is fine (very underrated actually) but the RS Recon and the brakes will be the first upgrades I'll budget for if you push a bike hard.

I have to agree with this. The standard brakes on this is terrible. I have a XL Stumpy, and I love my bike, but I have since upgraded the brakes, fork and just recently the shock. Had some issues with the shock leaking, but this is apparently a known issue of the XFusion and Stumpy frame. RBC sorted it out for free under warranty. All said and done, if you ask me to buy a bike again...I would probably go for the ST again :)

what brakes did the bike have that were terrible? I have the Sram Guide R on mine

There were some really good deals on the Spaz's. Not sure if they're still on.

Specials are still on? But there are virtually no bikes left in stock country wide. Specialized seriously cornered the market during lockdown and sold everything they have

Specials are still on? But there are virtually no bikes left in stock country wide. Specialized seriously cornered the market during lockdown and sold everything they have

I paid 40k for mine during lockdown. Apparently the same bike (new model obviously) is going to go for around 75k when they bring them in to SA