Trail bike for my wife and I

DJP

I paid 40k for mine during lockdown. Apparently the same bike (new model obviously) is going to go for around 75k when they bring them in to SA

Yep, paid 30k for mine, new one will be between 45k and 50k.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tekro Gemini Comp

Yeah, they not too great. Might be a better upgrade than the xfusion rear shock.

The previous post about the Fork, mine came with the "new" rockshox 35, which I really don't think is bad. It's a little outdated but it's stuff, and comes with decent trickle down technology. It's got a debonair airspring and the motion control damper is still plenty good. The chassis is the same as the revelation and Pike.... So it's plenty good.

yeah, I had the Tektro's on mine. It was the first batch of the new frame, bought in August 2018

I remember your 'which brakes should I upgrade to' discussion!!!!

Thanks to all for your comments, it really is appreciated and has helped a lot.

Unfortunately, most of the Specialized MTB in the trail range (in our budget) have sold out and most of the clearance bikes left are odd sizes. Good for them though, at least they kept their sales up during lockdown. 

We will be hitting the bike shops on the weekend to see what deals we can get as the websites don't seem up to date. 

Edited by DJP

Thanks to all for your comments, it really is appreciated and has helped a lot.

Unfortunately, most of the Specialized MTB in the trail range (in our budget) have sold out and most of the clearance bikes left are odd sizes. Good for them though, at least they kept their sales up during lockdown. 

We will be hitting the bike shops on the weekend to see what deals we can get as the websites don't seem up to date. 

Consider calling Julien Louw at Giant Durbanville - 076 941 2331

They do have a nice selection of bikes in-store, BUT, he also has access to the Distributors warehouse (obviously).  Point being, when I was in the market in February he could get what I wanted the next day, at a VERY good price.

Who knows, maybe they have something your or the missis in a 2019 model for a bargain ....

Julien, Coleen and Raymond will certainly take GOOD care of you.

Have a look at the GT sensor, very well priced. I saw a the carbon one advertised at just under R40k about a month before lockdown.

Why is it when someone is looking for a "trail bike" everyone always want them to go bigger. Unless you want to smash full DH trails there's nothing in western cape you need more than 120mm travel for.

Yes more travel is sometimes better/more forgiving down but you still need to consider getting to the top and especially if you want your other half to enjoy the ride.

That carbon Spark would be near impossible to beat at that price it's a fun bike down and climbs really good as well to make the whole experience more enjoyable.

But hey what do I know about dualies I ride everything on a XC HT????

Can’t wait to hit the trails and have all these specialized bikes all over the place.

Why is it when someone is looking for a "trail bike" everyone always want them to go bigger. Unless you want to smash full DH trails there's nothing in western cape you need more than 120mm travel for.

Yes more travel is sometimes better/more forgiving down but you still need to consider getting to the top and especially if you want your other half to enjoy the ride.

That carbon Spark would be near impossible to beat at that price it's a fun bike down and climbs really good as well to make the whole experience more enjoyable.

But hey what do I know about dualies I ride everything on a XC HT

Very true. In my opinion the Trail catagory still sits in the 120mm range, and having gone from a 90mm to a 110mm to a 130 to a 150mm bike the last 3 years, Id say the options listed by @DJP are spot on. 

I am not a specialized fan but wow some of those deals were mad. The Stumpy fatty full carbon with a Pike in Mens and Woman for R30 000 was a givaway. Its probably slightly overkill(guessing not knowing more about DJP's riding)  but I'd get that and just swap to a regular 29er wheelset, It will still be lighter than most.

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/stumpjumper-fsr-expert-carbon-6fattie/p/118362?color=209257-118362

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/rhyme-fsr-expert-carbon-6fattie/p/107259?color=195929-107259

If thats not available the Merida 120 gets great reviews but at 40K youre still geting ali frame but decent spec.

Plenty of guys stock Scott and I agree the Scott sparks will be great for you. Try get hold of an older year model so you get a proper frame and suspension. Fox 34's or similar with the dropper posts and 120mm travel. That alone will blow your mind If you're not use to it. Try Jonty Neetling at the hanger, King Cycles in Worcester or Bike Addict for scott. 

I just got a 2020 Norco Fluid FS1, give Ian at Mellow Velo a call, he gave me, what I think was a super sweet deal on mine, just give him a call, you may be surprised....

Pretty WOW deal..

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/mountain/trail/fluid-fs-aluminum/fluid-fs-1/

Especially If you dont want the same bike as every second other dude. Norco has been winning rewards with their geo, and this bike should be just as capable, It has a proper build spec, although the DH tyres and Flow wheels may be a bit overkill. you can sell those or maybe ask the dealer to swap them, Unless you want to go 2.6 DHF hard on your 120mm. 

Pretty WOW deal..

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/mountain/trail/fluid-fs-aluminum/fluid-fs-1/

Especially If you dont want the same bike as every second other dude. Norco has been winning rewards with their geo, and this bike should be just as capable, It has a proper build spec, although the DH tyres and Flow wheels may be a bit overkill. you can sell those or maybe ask the dealer to swap them, Unless you want to go 2.6 DHF hard on your 120mm.

Got mine for quite a bit less than that, for the price,there is no beating this bikes value, and it is awesome to ride

Edit- the 2.6 tyres maybe overkill, and mine came with WTB STP i29 wheels, not the Stan Flows, but the tyres are actually pretty sweet, from my old bike that I was running an Ikon/Ardent race combo, this bike still rolls faster, climbs faster and just all round feels better, even with these tyres, when I need new tyres I will get something smaller and lighter, maybe, but for now, these are working really well for me...

Edited by Chadvdw67

I just got a 2020 Norco Fluid FS1, give Ian at Mellow Velo a call, he gave me, what I think was a super sweet deal on mine, just give him a call, you may be surprised....

Thanks, gave him a call, made my decision a lot harder. 

Thanks, gave him a call, made my decision a lot harder. 

If the Fluid 1 is in your price range your choice should be very easy ;) There are lots of good trail bikes in your price range - none that I can think of that I would take over this Norco. Value is great, and Norco know what they are doing in terms of geometry.