New Wahoo KICKR, metal shavings and power surges?

Geared

Hi all,

I purchased a new wahoo kickr4 and bike (Merida road bike) week and a half back, after setting it all up last week, and throwing my back out in the process, I only managed to swing a leg over yesterday. 

After some technical issues linking it all up, and software (thank you shaper for the advice) I decided keep it simple and learn the system. 

did an update to 3.70 last Sunday.

so hooked it all up, and decided to do the zwift FTP lite as a starter. 

I did a spin down the week before (short one) but didn't do one again for the FTP test. didn't think it was needed as I read every two weeks or so, I did the warm for 20min and then tried to do the FTP, I kept getting wild power spikes, one second its 200w, next 50w, next 438w ...I just could not get any stable wattage even with some gear changes , so 10 min in I called it quits. I am unsure if I should off rather done another proper spin-down here, but after the shavings I wasn't going to risk riding until I had found out the cause. 

Only to notice metal shavings under the cassette, I didn't want to risk any damage, so didn't proceed further. 

I am praying this is simply new gear being ridden in, and not a damaged unit, or a incorrect set up my side. 

I did do an update again, late yesterday to 3.71 but have not climbed on again, till I get feedback from dealer on the shavings. 

I have attached pics, if any of you have experienced this, before I make things worse, or lug this monster back to the dealer. 

post-152654-0-77613800-1592815588_thumb.jpg

post-152654-0-71110800-1592815622_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geared

You should be using the through axle to mount the bike to the Kickr and not the skewer.

I thought I followed the instructions correctly, but I clearly missed something, can see where it has stripped off the paint inner frame of the bike, sigh, not cool on a brand new bike, but stupidity comes at a price :(  

Are you using bluetooth or ANT+ to connect to the device? I get similar power spikes over bluetooth on my TacX but over ANT+ its stable.

all bluetooth atm , I have not sourced an ant dongle yet, currently using iPad and or Apple TV, but looking at my mess up above, I suspect it will go better with a correct set up and spin down, otherwise will switch to ant + when possible. 

I have never had an issue with bluetooth connection - I use an apple tv connect to a Cycleops Hammer and I'm all good to go. To be fair, I haven't tried using ANT+, but have never needed to.

I thought I followed the instructions correctly, but I clearly missed something, can see where it has stripped off the paint inner frame of the bike, sigh, not cool on a brand new bike, but stupidity comes at a price :(

all bluetooth atm , I have not sourced an ant dongle yet, currently using iPad and or Apple TV, but looking at my mess up above, I suspect it will go better with a correct set up and spin down, otherwise will switch to ant + when possible. 

No issues with mine via bluetooth to Apple products. 

I'm paired with a Macbook and my iPhone so the iPad and Apple TV shouldn't cause the power spikes. 

Redo the pairing and do a spin down again. Test again. 

Double check that you are using the correct adapters of the frame. Paint damage and possibly the metal shavings could be from that. 

Using the correct mounts will sort out the metal shavings.

Your AppleTV only have two additional bluetooth connections.

It's got 3 in total but one dedicated to the remote.

Your Kickr4 will do Power, Speed and Cadence all over one connection. The second you can keep for HR. I see you have the cadence sensor on your crank, no need to use it as it will take up an additional BT connection.

I have found that I get sporadic readings when I have another device close by trying to connect to the AppleTV, for instance a BT speaker that was paired with the AppleTV previously.

Glad you got set up and trying, hopefully the issue will be resolved with some tinkering.

I have always had problems with BLE, now don't even try it, always use ANT+.  More channels and less interference.

I have always had problems with BLE, now don't even try it, always use ANT+.  More channels and less interference.

I had endless issues with BT and my Zwift setup. HR monitor found but I'm dead. No HR monitor. etc etc etc. Until one day a Windows update killed BT completely on 2 laptops.

Got an ANT+ dongle and the problem instantly went away.

@the OP. Is that a brand new bike? have you lubed the chain? Might be as simple as that?

Edited by Duane_Bosch

still battling away here, it seems the Mireda reacto is 142 and not the standard 135 axle, probably why it ground away at the frame a bit and what caused the dust shavings. 

I only have the skewer and the bits of the adapter kit, but no thruaxle is in the box or kit, is one supposed to have been supplied ? my bikes one screws straight into the frame, and the end piece supplied won't allow me to use my stock one. 

Checked now, the chain is lubed some. 

edit : lol seems reading the manual properly helps, I can use my stock thruaxle supplied with bike, I just couldn't figure out the end bolt cap, still trying to. 

Edited by Geared

still battling away here, it seems the Mireda reacto is 142 and not the standard 135 axle, probably why it ground away at the frame a bit and what caused the dust shavings. 

I only have the skewer and the bits of the adapter kit, but no thruaxle is in the box or kit, is one supposed to have been supplied ? my bikes one screws straight into the frame, and the end piece supplied won't allow me to use my stock one. 

Checked now, the chain is lubed some. 

edit : lol seems reading the manual properly helps, I can use my stock thruaxle supplied with bike, I just couldn't figure out the end bolt cap, still trying to. 

I stand to be corrected but if it's got a thru axle, you don't need any end cap - the thru axle should screw into the other end of the frame.

Edit: here's a pic of mine

post-83519-0-87218500-1592837452_thumb.jpg

Edited by Muttley

I stand to be corrected but if it's got a thru axle, you don't need any end cap - the thru axle should screw into the other end of the frame.

Edit: here's a pic of mine

attachicon.gif1.JPG

Quite correct, I was following the standard set up, and not the correct one for 142,not reading the manual all the way seems to have been at fault lol  

Bike back on and feels much more stable, now to try the rest

You should be using the through axle to mount the bike to the Kickr and not the skewer.

Thank you was exactly this and what muttley kindly showed. 

Did not see that in my haste last week