My first MTB

PaulSmith

Hi all

Got roped into the Juma by a mate last year - had a ball

Been using my brother-in-laws loan "Raleigh - HT" ever since

My upcoming 40th gift has become a budget for a new bike - R 16K max
I have been looking at Cyclelab, primarily as I can use a 20% discount due to my Multiply status - value for money...?

Please guide me where you can

I am looking at something with longevity, but not wanting upgrade drive trains off the bat, so the Scott Scale 965 SLX (https://www.cyclelab.com/product/scott-scale-965-slx-rs30-silver) has caught my eye (I have been trolling Forums like these to try and get the best ideas)

1.74m tall (Medium Frame), 72kg so happy to stick with a HT

Could you propose anything else that would be of value? Would look at "upgrades" later such as Dropper Posts etc.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there Keeper

Welcome to the crazy world of hubland - you're in for a treat. 

It's not a bad bike, I'm not a fan of the MT201 brakeset but everything else looks quite nice and good value for money. 

I can go into more detail and tear the bike down but analysis paralysis is real and the more opinions you're going to get the harder it's going to become. Just keep in mind that you'll have to budget for kit at some point in time as well (if you don't already have everything)  :thumbup:

Hi all

Got roped into the Juma by a mate last year - had a ball

Been using my brother-in-laws loan "Raleigh - HT" ever since

My upcoming 40th gift has become a budget for a new bike - R 16K max
I have been looking at Cyclelab, primarily as I can use a 20% discount due to my Multiply status - value for money...?

Please guide me where you can

I am looking at something with longevity, but not wanting upgrade drive trains off the bat, so the Scott Scale 965 SLX (https://www.cyclelab.com/product/scott-scale-965-slx-rs30-silver) has caught my eye (I have been trolling Forums like these to try and get the best ideas)

1.74m tall (Medium Frame), 72kg so happy to stick with a HT

Could you propose anything else that would be of value? Would look at "upgrades" later such as Dropper Posts etc.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there Keeper

Welcome to the crazy world of hubland - you're in for a treat. 

It's not a bad bike, I'm not a fan of the MT201 brakeset but everything else looks quite nice and good value for money. 

I can go into more detail and tear the bike down but analysis paralysis is real and the more opinions you're going to get the harder it's going to become. Just keep in mind that you'll have to budget for kit at some point in time as well (if you don't already have everything)  :thumbup:

Indeed, not to forget also a Tubeless conversion (not too expensive if you can do it yourself or have a buddy that can help) and a proper set-up.  These two things will go long way in reducing frustration and injuries...

Good luck and happy hunting, its always a fun thing to try and find a suitable bike :)

Titan Drone, Merida Big 9, Scott Scale....

So many good bikes to choose from. Just make sure to get the correct sized bike and not just the one in stock or you'll end up paying big school fees later. Tubeless conversion and a couple of spares (C02 bombs, multi tool, tyre levers) and you'll be set

Welcome

Any hard tail in that price bracket will do fine.

A proper bike set up / fit is the most important "upgrade". Ask Cyclelab to include it in your purchase

Things to consider:

the frame, wheels and fork are most NB as it is unlikely that you will upgrade these parts.

Make sure you are getting an air fork not a coil/spring fork as the adjustments to the feel of fork play a massive role to the overall feel of the bike. Make sure the bike shop sets up the pressure and rebound before you leave. Make note of what it is set too as well for future repairs / services. 

As a first time rider try find something that is more progressive and forgiving. 67 degrees or higher.

The groupset, brakes, tires are all "consumables" for lack of a better work and you can upgrade these as your skills and riding progresses.

Tires must be tubeless before you leave the shop. This is a no brainer on a HT. 

Also check the warranty on the bike as well. Might get a "good" deal on a titan but the warranty from Trek / Scott is better and the brand is stronger for resale. 

Thanks for the positive feedback guys...here's looking forward to meeting you all on the Trails!

That's a great first bike, more so if you can get 20% of that price. Welcome, nice one.