Review: 2021 Specialized S-Works Epic Evo

Bike Hub Features

The pre release small batch sold discounted at 50k a pop, so I'm guessing it will retail between 60 and 70k so pretty similar.

I mean, realistically importing a top end NS Snabb from CRC will cost the same so....

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/ns-bikes-define-155-fox-dpx2-frame-2019-2019/rp-prod178709

Thanks, that is reason I am asking. 60k on a frame is little nuts to me, but it does not seem to be that outlandish compared to other options. One can spend 83k on a gravel frame if you wish:

https://privateer.co.za/product/open-u-p-p-e-r-frameset/

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When looking a brand like calculus bikes, then you can get a locally made custom ti duallie frame for around the 35/40K mark last time I checked.

Locally designed, manufactured in Vietnam (because they have a titanium industry whereas SA doesn't)

Locally designed, manufactured in Vietnam (because they have a titanium industry whereas SA doesn't)

So they jump on a plane from Hermanus each time to weld up the frames in Vietnam? 

So they jump on a plane from Hermanus each time to weld up the frames in Vietnam? 

Very weak attempt at baiting, try harder.

I asked them where their frames are welded together and they very proudly said Vietnam.

Vietnam has a huge titanium piping industry for the oil and gas sector in South East Asia. Very high quality fabrication. China, Russia and the good old USA are other titanium fabrication power houses

Very weak attempt at baiting, try harder.

I asked them where their frames are welded together and they very proudly said Vietnam.

Vietnam has a huge titanium piping industry for the oil and gas sector in South East Asia. Very high quality fabrication. China, Russia and the good old USA are other titanium fabrication power houses

If you think that was baiting then you clearly don’t know what the word means. 

Edited by Patchelicious

So a quick experiment using the S-Works frame and looking at building the bike locally without discount from the LBS for parts, and based on what I could find "off the shelf" RE on line pricing.

Wow, going through the BOM, I can't believe that a Reverb AXS is R15k and it doesn't even drop by itself.

Those Roval wheels are also crazy expensive at R44k, but then again they are super light.

Honestly, R80k for the cheapest bike in the range. And here I almost started to think Spaz was maybe not so elitist anymore.

It's good looking, but I really can't see you justifying that kind of money on a bike. Unless you are like Richey Rich - rich.

Pinkbike compares the EVO and SE, introductory with full review to follow.

First initial impression`s from my side the EVO takes it!

Ps. The wild frame EVO option with those blue Piccolo brakes from Wayne would look awesome.

But then compared a few stats with the Mobu...interesting.

'Thanks ... I thought they were slapping together some Ti frames locally.

Personally this does not bother me as you can still get your custom geo Ti frame at a decent price.....and single pivots are hot :)

Wow, going through the BOM, I can't believe that a Reverb AXS is R15k and it doesn't even drop by itself.

Those Roval wheels are also crazy expensive at R44k, but then again they are super light.

One thing I must give Spaz credit for.

Their new (2019 onwards) warranty is awesome. All roval wheels are covered by a lifetime warranty, the frames too. If you sell the frame the second owner takes over warranty for (I think) two or three years from date of purchase by the origional owner.

'Thanks ... I thought they were slapping together some Ti frames locally.

Personally this does not bother me as you can still get your custom geo Ti frame at a decent price.....and single pivots are hot :)

All the fabrication is done abroad. Calculus does the full design. They work with you to determine what level of deflection you want based on the ride feel and what you want the bike to deliver.

They send of the design to their fabricator in Vietnam where the tubes are shaped, cut, welded.

8-12 weeks later you get a frame in a box

I'm still planning a custom Pinion gearboxed hardtail with Calculus when the funds are available. I really like the work they do and they don't get enough exposure locally

All the fabrication is done abroad. Calculus does the full design. They work with you to determine what level of deflection you want based on the ride feel and what you want the bike to deliver.

They send of the design to their fabricator in Vietnam where the tubes are shaped, cut, welded.

I'm still planning a custom Pinion gearboxed hardtail with Calculus when the funds are available. I really like the work they do and they don't get enough exposure locally

I agree that they really should be far bigger in SA!

Interaction I have had with them was always open and awesome.....

IF you get that bike, I expect a FULL documentation thread please, with lots of pics and detailed information.

Would you go with a chain or carbon gates drive on the build?

Funny you mentioned that...

Watched an interesting video the other day:

Yea the Rohloff is more efficient but the pinion is better suited to MTB based on it gearing profile and the weight centred in the frame.

Hairy, belt drive of course!