Review: 2021 Specialized S-Works Epic

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always the price.... hahahaha 

Cannondales topper is over 200k, so Spez have done well to beat that AND deliver such a package.

The wheelset is wide and weighs under 1300g.... I've ogled them in person.... yoh!

These bikes are next level rad, light and functional.

If I was a rich man, fidle diddle diddle diddle..............

There are lots of things I would do with 190k, but this bike is a pretty forward thinking piece of kit. Lets appreciat that before we start banging on about the price.

I think we should accept that top of the range bikes will all be around the 200k mark this year and move on to discuss the merits of the bikes as opposed to throwing big nays first.

Dunno, I want to get back to bikes and tech geek bike radness. Too much negativity on the site already to bemoan something as silly as costing.....

For those who carry on about price, I think they should break the bike down into components, and measure the cost of the frame as the difference between the bike bought direct from the dealer, and sum of the components.

Bike manufacturers take a lot of slack with regard to prices, but the component manufacturers play their part to. Whats the price of the SID fork, a full AXS group set (and wireless dropper), add in a power meter?

People very often upgrade their bikes slowly, so they dont feel/see the full impact of these upgrades. Here, the top of the range bike probably has everything you could want/need on a bike, so no further outlays.

Always the price.... hahahaha

Cannondales topper is over 200k, so Spez have done well to beat that AND deliver such a package.

The wheelset is wide and weighs under 1300g.... I've ogled them in person.... yoh!

These bikes are next level rad, light and functional.

If I was a rich man, fidle diddle diddle diddle..............

There are lots of things I would do with 190k, but this bike is a pretty forward thinking piece of kit. Lets appreciat that before we start banging on about the price.

I think we should accept that top of the range bikes will all be around the 200k mark this year and move on to discuss the merits of the bikes as opposed to throwing big nays first.

Dunno, I want to get back to bikes and tech geek bike radness. Too much negativity on the site already to bemoan something as silly as costing.....

I'm not moaning about Spez pricing specifically compared to other brands - more the prices of high end bikes in general. There really is no way those prices can be justified.

None the less, doesn't take away from how awesome it looks.

But anyway, wasn't looking to debate pricing. Just an observation.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I'm not moaning about Spez pricing specifically compared to other brands - more the prices of high end bikes in general. There really is no way those prices can be justified.

None the less, doesn't take away from how awesome it looks.

But anyway, wasn't looking to debate pricing. Just an observation.

My comment wasn't aimed at you or anyone.

I agree, 200k is crazy money. But some people can afford or afford to finance that and then they are getting a seriously rad bike.

The fact that the review bikes are XL and don't look corky is testament to the R and D as well as attention to detail. It's proportional, not a noodle and looks rad.

Most XL bikes look like a kid drew them.

It’s in the 2021 bmw brochure

I'll my short bats in Black Sapphire (WTF is black sapphire, sapphires are blue...)

Irons in Sunset Orange

And Drivers in Arctic Race blue

Nice bike, Nice paint options. It feels like a bit of a forgotten art with all the attention going to Geo, Kinematics, tech etc. Nice one Spez. I'd love one of those Magic mushroom inspired paint-jobs. via Pinkbike

Funny I didn't see one in Jonkershoek this passed weekend ;)

Speaking of Stellies though, I know the big "S" is based in Stellies, so It makes sense to have this shoot/launch there. I rode Armageddon which is more on the xc side of things, right? Well I rode it (on my Enduro bike) with my brother inlaw on his RM Element, and I suddenly became aware how rough and technical even that trail was. Hard to Imagine anyone still wanting 100mm bikes. But then again, 90% of the country rides dirtroads I guess.. If you live and ride in these areas however, and taking into account how efficient bikes are these days,  a 120mm Epic would be my choice. 

p5pb18919661.jpg