Review: 2021 Specialized S-Works Epic

Bike Hub Features

BOS, I agree, which is why the Evo is no longer an Epic with a 120mm fork. It's a completely revised frame and bike combo.

I think the Epic is still an out and out race bike, so one wouldn't buy it to ride 'for fun' but with goals, races and definitive results being the key.

For all else there is the Evo.

(On a side note I'm sure Nick rode these at Jonkers a number of times during the week... He does live there and it is his job... hahahaha)

I don't think this bike will be the calling card for aspiring MTB noobs or a 1 bike quiver. It is, for me, a 100% performance based bike.

The New Evo would be my choice if I was rich enough. I was lucky enough to have seen/ogled/inspected both and sjoe... They are nice. But ja, I agree.

If you're not an out and out racer, the Epic is NOT the bike for you. The evo suspension is set up with the yoke stepped up on the swing arm, coupled with the lack of brain, will give you tons of grip and a bit more of a joosh.

The Epic linkage is still direct to the stays so is more direct and definitely less plush.

Everything points to a bit distinction between the two which shows Spaz have acknowledged what you're saying and are creating bikes accordingly, albeit well specced Ferrari versions!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who carry on about price, I think they should break the bike down into components, and measure the cost of the frame as the difference between the bike bought direct from the dealer, and sum of the components.

Bike manufacturers take a lot of slack with regard to prices, but the component manufacturers play their part to. Whats the price of the SID fork, a full AXS group set (and wireless dropper), add in a power meter?

People very often upgrade their bikes slowly, so they dont feel/see the full impact of these upgrades. Here, the top of the range bike probably has everything you could want/need on a bike, so no further outlays.

I can buy a brand new KTM 350F, chuck on some CC forks and a Traxx rear shock and still have money for engine upgrades for that price.

Break it down and the stock KTM suspension is better than anything on that S-Works or most downhill bikes for that matter.

A Motorbike comes with a high performance lightweight motor containing 100's of high precision machined parts so the engineering time there alone is worth more. 

I can buy a brand new KTM 350F, chuck on some CC forks and a Traxx rear shock and still have money for engine upgrades for that price.

Break it down and the stock KTM suspension is better than anything on that S-Works or most downhill bikes for that matter.

A Motorbike comes with a high performance lightweight motor containing 100's of high precision machined parts so the engineering time there alone is worth more. 

I can also buy a new city car.

I don't think it's relevant though. Much like footballers getting paid 250 000 euro a week, the economy in cycling has created it's own value.

Comparing that to other industries is like saying one could hire 250 nurses a month for what Ronaldo earns in a week. 

It's true, but unfortunately it is also just a stat that doesn't relate.

I wouldn't choose the moto over the pedal bike though if I had the money to buy one. 

Funny I didn't see one in Jonkershoek this passed weekend ;)

Speaking of Stellies though, I know the big "S" is based in Stellies, so It makes sense to have this shoot/launch there. I rode Armageddon which is more on the xc side of things, right? Well I rode it (on my Enduro bike) with my brother inlaw on his RM Element, and I suddenly became aware how rough and technical even that trail was. Hard to Imagine anyone still wanting 100mm bikes. But then again, 90% of the country rides dirtroads I guess.. If you live and ride in these areas however, and taking into account how efficient bikes are these days,  a 120mm Epic would be my choice. 

We're all different. I love riding short travel bikes on all levels of trail. It makes every trail on your ride fun no matter the grade. Our trails aren't overly technical or steep and I find riding a big travel bike limits my enjoyment on easier trails. I also like the pedalling as I tend to link a number of trail networks into a single ride all while leaving from home. That said, I'm definitely more in the Epic Evo camp than the race-focussed Epic but give it a dropper post and the bike still rips.

I don't think it's relevant though. Much like footballers getting paid 250 000 euro a week, the economy in cycling has created it's own value.

Comparing that to other industries is like saying one could hire 250 nurses a month for what Ronaldo earns in a week. 

I wouldn't choose the moto over the pedal bike though if I had the money to buy one. 

I'd get the moto and the spec two notches down  win win

The R200K bike is for CEO's, golfers and sponsored riders

We're all different. I love riding short travel bikes on all levels of trail. It makes every trail on your ride fun no matter the grade. Our trails aren't overly technical or steep and I find riding a big travel bike limits my enjoyment on easier trails. I also like the pedalling as I tend to link a number of trail networks into a single ride all while leaving from home. That said, I'm definitely more in the Epic Evo camp than the race-focussed Epic but give it a dropper post and the bike still rips.

Does this bike come with a 170 crank? Ride it anywhere meaningful and surely you're going to be whacking things?

Would the world not be in a better place with 250 more nurses and 1 less footballer?

My comparison is more a direct you are paying for a 2 wheeled racing machine and you get a lot better value for money and overall capability in riding for one than another...

Does this bike come with a 170 crank? Ride it anywhere meaningful and surely you're going to be whacking things?

I didn't check to be honest. Spec sheet says 170/175, so I'm guessing that it might be size specific?

Pedal strikes was not something I noticed while riding.

To everyone moaning about the price. Your anger/irritation should be directed at the government and not at Specialized. They have single handedly resulted in the exorbitant pricing. In $ terms the price increase is not unreasonable. 

As for the comparison to motorbikes and cars it comes down to volumes. Way more cars and motorbikes are sold than SWorks Epics. 

To everyone moaning about the price. Your anger/irritation should be directed at the government and not at Specialized. They have single handedly resulted in the exorbitant pricing. In $ terms the price increase is not unreasonable. 

As for the comparison to motorbikes and cars it comes down to volumes. Way more cars and motorbikes are sold than SWorks Epics. 

Have you seen the comments on bike pricing on the the international bike forums?? None of it positive or considering pricing to be reasonable

Edited by DieselnDust

Have you seen the comments on bike pricing on the the international bike forums?? None of it positive or considering pricing to be unreasonable

Range topping models and products are expensive. Not sure why so many think that it should be affordable to the masses. Ok, maybe I do know why but I certainly don't want to open that can of worms here. 

Fact is that the ZAR is more of a factor in the pricing, for SA at least, than the increase in USD. Compliments of the Absolutely No Consequence crew. 

Hey, of course man, Im not bashing anyone, I was just saying. Probably stating the obvious. Trails are obviously not this bikes main focus, and I agree with you, but a capable rider can do amazing things with these things. I use to be an advocate for this, even doing the Plumber, drop included with my full height saddle although pretty darn scary!

I think I'm just getting old :) 

These comparisons always come up with bicycles and motorbikes.

It would be interesting to know where the most money and time is spent on R&D between the two industries.

I would think the cost of competitive gain in the cycling industry is way more than the motorcycle industry because the margins of gain are so much smaller, a few hundred grams on a bicycle makes a bigger difference than on a motorbike for example.

Edited by Markellis

even doing the Plumber, drop included with my full height saddle

That's crazy talk! I'm a terrible high poster.

Most bikes come with 175mm cranks. It's only recently that bikes have started being specced with 170mm - and mostly on trail and enduro bikes. This is a great move from Spez. I like shorter cranks - but that may be because I have stumpy legs. Very few bikes come with 165mm cranks - mostly DH bikes actually.