Review: 2021 Specialized S-Works Epic

Bike Hub Features

It would be interesting to hear how many S-Works Epic's Spez South Africa sells in a year... For us middle Class folk, who can only ogle and puzzle at that price point, I think the number would be quite surprising...  

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to hear how many S-Works Epic's Spez South Africa sells in a year... For us middle Class folk, who can only ogle and puzzle at that price point, I think the number would be quite surprising...  

+ how many of those end up in the bottom half of the race results.

Nice bike, Nice paint options. It feels like a bit of a forgotten art with all the attention going to Geo, Kinematics, tech etc. Nice one Spez. I'd love one of those Magic mushroom inspired paint-jobs. via Pinkbike

Funny I didn't see one in Jonkershoek this passed weekend ;)

Speaking of Stellies though, I know the big "S" is based in Stellies, so It makes sense to have this shoot/launch there. I rode Armageddon which is more on the xc side of things, right? Well I rode it (on my Enduro bike) with my brother inlaw on his RM Element, and I suddenly became aware how rough and technical even that trail was. Hard to Imagine anyone still wanting 100mm bikes. But then again, 90% of the country rides dirtroads I guess.. If you live and ride in these areas however, and taking into account how efficient bikes are these days,  a 120mm Epic would be my choice. 

p5pb18919661.jpg

I totally agree with you I think more than 90% of Epic owners will use it as a glorified gravel bike. Sort of sad to think about really.

That being said, I the the big S really nailed the geometry on this bike, definitely the most progressive mainstream XC bike around!

+ how many of those end up in the bottom half of the race results.

Why is that important? 

If you have the cash and want the bike, go for it. Where you place in the results is irrelevant. 

Why is that important?

If you have the cash and want the bike, go for it. Where you place in the results is irrelevant.

100% Agree

If you drive a M3 it doesn’t mean you a full time racer so why can’t people ride nice bikes if that’s their passion.

100% Agree

If you drive a M3 it doesn’t mean you a full time racer so why can’t people ride nice bikes if that’s their passion.

Silly comparison really since many who drive an M3 can't and end up killing people, especially when they switch the TC off.

most Spec riders don't kill other riders or pedestrians. They just look silly coming last in the race with a group of guys on 1million ZAR +worth of bikes

100% Agree

Sorry that I hit a nerve?

I do agree abt people and passion and money.

I would love to have a Patek or Audemars or Lange&Sohne watch, although they tells the same time as my Tissot.

I am seriously envious of my neighbour when he takes the yellow 488 for a spin.

Perhaps it's about balance.

It looks seriously odd, if a non so serious MAMIL rocks up in the washing bay with his R200k bike, just before the sun sets.  

Sorry that I hit a nerve?

I do agree abt people and passion and money.

I would love to have a Patek or Audemars or Lange&Sohne watch, although they tells the same time as my Tissot.

I am seriously envious of my neighbour when he takes the yellow 488 for a spin.

Perhaps it's about balance.

It looks seriously odd, if a non so serious MAMIL rocks up in the washing bay with his R200k bike, just before the sun sets.  

Some people just have to have what is perceive "the best". They would feel less important if they rode equipment that reflects their ability. Ego is a powerful incentive for bike manufacturers to mark up high end bikes 50%.

Also Specialized has a big team they have to support. That marketing budget has to be recovered from the suckers who feel that if they just had an extra 4 hrs a day to train that they can also beat Christoph and CoolHarvey.

Hahaha I see what saying

I can’t afford to ride a 200K bike but would love to have a yellow S-works in the lounge, I love bikes and don’t care what people think.

And no I don’t have an ego issue either :)

It's the same argument as having a 500k car when surely a 100k car is good enough to drive around town?

Anyway, the bike industry is it's own economy. Trying to make sense of pricing is, like I said, trying to understand the football economy or why Hollywood actors get paid millions to read lines.

We demand entertainment, there is a market, that market economy inflates its value etc.... The cycle is endless if the demand exists.

Anyway, I don't have 200k to spend on a bike. I just wanted to discuss how awesome the bike is.

Apparently we can't do that. Oh well.

It's the same argument as having a 500k car when surely a 100k car is good enough to drive around town?

Anyway, the bike industry is it's own economy. Trying to make sense of pricing is, like I said, trying to understand the football economy or why Hollywood actors get paid millions to read lines.

We demand entertainment, there is a market, that market economy inflates its value etc.... The cycle is endless if the demand exists.

Anyway, I don't have 200k to spend on a bike. I just wanted to discuss how awesome the bike is.

Apparently we can't do that. Oh well.

I wish they will also have such rad paint jobs on cheapies.  Why are the bikes that we can afford always the ugly duckling?

I wish they will also have such rad paint jobs on cheapies.  Why are the bikes that we can afford always the ugly duckling?

They have to create the illusion that you're not worth the million bucks for the zooty paint jobs. Keeping you aspirational keeps their prices higher. Imagine they marketed the SLX bike as a race winner!!

The outcry

although looking at the prices my stomach churns but I tell you they will sell them all.

Chatting to the wahoo guys today,they brought in 50 kikr bikes and sold all of them in a few days so there are people out there with cash

although looking at the prices my stomach churns but I tell you they will sell them all.

Chatting to the wahoo guys today,they brought in 50 kikr bikes and sold all of them in a few days so there are people out there with cash

Exactly my point Stringbean - South African's have an obsession with having the top of the pops stuff... Only difference is my 'top of the pops' is indulging in an XX1 Chain on my GX Groupset... Althought depending on who you ask I could be saving myself some money on chain wear & tear  :P