Review: 2021 Specialized S-Works Epic

Bike Hub Features

Some people just have to have what is perceive "the best". They would feel less important if they rode equipment that reflects their ability. Ego is a powerful incentive for bike manufacturers to mark up high end bikes 50%.

Also Specialized has a big team they have to support. That marketing budget has to be recovered from the suckers who feel that if they just had an extra 4 hrs a day to train that they can also beat Christoph and CoolHarvey.

And others are just jealous. 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see mention of this yet, but dayum that red paint job is a thing of beauty. To be frank, waaaaay too nice a paint job for a mountain bike (same argument I've always had with R25k optional pearlescent paintjobs on Range Rovers, that also have incredible off road capability). Or maybe everyone else babies their bikes a lot more than I do?

Kickass looking XC race bike though, looks raring to go even just standing there.

Can I buy one? No.

Would I buy one if I had the cash? Still no.

The Spez Epic is the X5/Prado of the mtb world. Its new and fancy for a few months then you're just another upper middle management dude that bought an upper middle management car. Sure, it makes sense to buy, and many people buy them because they're sensible to buy and are great at what they're designed for, they're just a bit me-too. 

For reference, I'm an Alfa and Landy loving guy, so give me something horribly expensive and not as good at its job any day of the week if its out-of-the-ordinary and puts a smile on someone's face that plays an instrument or has a wacky haircut.

I can't see mention of this yet, but dayum that red paint job is a thing of beauty. To be frank, waaaaay too nice a paint job for a mountain bike (same argument I've always had with R25k optional pearlescent paintjobs on Range Rovers, that also have incredible off road capability). Or maybe everyone else babies their bikes a lot more than I do?

Kickass looking XC race bike though, looks raring to go even just standing there.

Can I buy one? No.

Would I buy one if I had the cash? Still no.

The Spez Epic is the X5/Prado of the mtb world. Its new and fancy for a few months then you're just another upper middle management dude that bought an upper middle management car. Sure, it makes sense to buy, and many people buy them because they're sensible to buy and are great at what they're designed for, they're just a bit me-too. 

For reference, I'm an Alfa and Landy loving guy, so give me something horribly expensive and not as good at its job any day of the week if its out-of-the-ordinary and puts a smile on someone's face that plays an instrument or has a wacky haircut.

My sentiments exactly. I'm the only guy that's buy the bright purple and orange Pyga that someone else painted - it's cool... and no one else has one or can get one :) and I've had two Landy's as well.

And others are just jealous. 

actually not zealousy at all.

At a recent stage race my team mate had some misfortune that put us from the front 10% of the field to the back. Right at the back. He had to bail from the stage and I chased through the field to at least register a finish. I rode past a lot of people. Many of those were struggling with expensive XC bikes that they clearly were not comfortable with but there they were, top of the line S-Works, Scalpels, YETI SB100's and struggling, especially through the "Land Rover technical terrain". 

I asked one bloke if he was enjoying the S-works (lovely purply blue with the bright salmon pink decals). I reckon his BMI was 30. Suspension was kicking him hard (the suspension isn't designed to cope with a BMI of 30 so it was high pressure shock and rebound was not coping).

His answer , he got the best bike possible to give him the best possible advantage. Lighter bike, Race winners ride S-Works.

I reckon he would have been way more comfortable and hence probably faster on the Epic Evo of Stumpy ST. Doesn't matter if it was the top of the line Evo, it was cheaper  than the XCO bike so that was seen as not projecting the right "winners focus" so demanded of corporate culture. There are plenty of much more expensive short travel trail bikes that would be better suited but its the brand association and buying "performance" at any cost that some of us struggle to reconcile.

Of course when you pass these guys and make them look as pedestrian as they are  it can't be without some snide comments relating to drug use or other.

Jealousy? No. Just lack of alignment with their values that's all

Edited by DieselnDust

But getting back to the bike itself. I'm actually quite underwhelmed by this iteration of the Epic. The dedicated  Epic Evo is a nice shift and I guess necessary to try and shift the CEO market.

But comparing its numbers to other bikes like the Intense Sniper Trail, Yeti SB100, 2021 Scalpel SE its actually pretty average. Only the Headtube and seat tube angles is giving some okes an orgasm. 

it pretty  middle of the road everywhere and its just a simple single pivot with small bearings in the seattube.

leveraging all of SRAMS finest is a continuation of the last model and the SID Ultimate (35mm) on the Evo model is a step forward.

Great that EVO is brainless but then why not fit a 3 position rear shock and fork? If its a marathon light trail bike I'd still want it to pedal as efficiently as possible.

It's a bit like Specialized has run out of ideas for the formula and are relying on the brand halo to keep customers happy. At the Price point there are so may really good options: 

Pivot Mach 4SL

Yeti SB100

2021 Scalpel / SE

Intense Sniper XC /Trail

Santa Cruz Blur

the Epic has stiff competition already and Giant haven't launched their new 2021 Anthem yet....

actually not zealousy at all.

At a recent stage race my team mate had some misfortune that put us from the front 10% of the field to the back. Right at the back. He had to bail from the stage and I chased through the field to at least register a finish. I rode past a lot of people. Many of those were struggling with expensive XC bikes that they clearly were comportable with but there they were, top of the line S-Works, Scalpels, YETI SB100's and struggling, especially through the "Land Rover technical terrain". 

I asked one bloke if he was enjoying the S-works (lovely purply blue with the bright salmon pink decals). I reckon his BMI was 30. Suspension was kicking him hard (the suspension isn't designed to cope with a BMI of 30 so it was high pressure shock and rebound was not coping).

His answer , he got the bets bike possible to give him the best possible advantage. Lighter bike, Race winners ride S-Works.

I reckon he would have been way more comfortable and hence probably faster on the Epic Evo of Stumpy ST. Doesnt matter if it was the top of the line Evo, it was cheaper  than the XCO bike so that was seen as not projecting the right "winners focus" so demanded of corporate culture. There are plenty of uch more expensive short travel trail bikes that would be better suited but its the brand association and buying "performance" at any cost that some of us struggle to reconcile.

Of course when you pass these guys and make them look as pedestrian as they are  it can't be without some snide comments relating to drug use or other.

Jealousy? No. Just lack of alignment with their values that's all

Ok I get that and agree with you on that point. Its more a case of said rider being misinformed or uneducated as to the options available and what would suit his/her needs better. But yes there are people who want the best at all costs and when you see the Sworks Epic being such a prolific winner you naturally assume thats the best bike. Same goes for the Pinarello Dogma. I wouldn't buy either of those given the chance. Way better and cooler bikes out there IMHO. That said, most are just jealous that they cant afford top end machinery and thats what drives their opinions. It certainly doesn't stop at bicycles and transcends all facets of our lives. Cars, houses, clothes, watches, holidays, restaurants, the list goes on. Many have a hard time genuinely being happy for others. Anyways back to bikes. 

The world has moved on, mostly, from the out and out 90mm/100mm XC racing bikes and the new class of 120mm bikes, with their hint of trail and modern geo, is definitely the way to go for most. I recently made this move and my enjoyment factor whilst riding has gone off the charts. Across the board its a better experience. An all round improvement. Maybe a bit heavier that a Sworks Epic which makes no difference in my world. Pro's outweigh the cons ten fold and I recommend the same style of bike to all my mates who are in the market. Its the future of MTB. 

I think this iteration of the Epic Evo will outsell the Epic. Even in SA. Its a better all round machine and the fact that servicing isn't such a nightmare will lure far more people. 

The Evo clearly makes more sense for your typical big boned SA marathoner. In fact for many something heavier and stronger makes even more sense but you have to start somewhere. 

To me this iteration of the Epic is a rather simple and beautiful design. Looks like a lightweight #enduro shred machine. Now I wonder if 66.5 is as slack as the Evo will go? To me that is the sweet spot HTA for a bike like this, but looking at the latest 63 degree enduro bikes, perhaps the Evo could even go to 65.5. 

I agree, this design is really good. There is definitely a touch of Enduro in there as well. I think the next Stumpjumper would be a sweet bike if it follows this same pattern.

It might be around sooner rather than later as they are also currently on sale.

The Evo clearly makes more sense for your typical big boned SA marathoner. In fact for many something heavier and stronger makes even more sense but you have to start somewhere.

To me this iteration of the Epic is a rather simple and beautiful design. Looks like a lightweight #enduro shred machine. Now I wonder if 66.5 is as slack as the Evo will go? To me that is the sweet spot HTA for a bike like this, but looking at the latest 63 degree enduro bikes, perhaps the Evo could even go to 65.5.

Edited by hansolo

Ok I get that and agree with you on that point. Its more a case of said rider being misinformed or uneducated as to the options available and what would suit his/her needs better. But yes there are people who want the best at all costs and when you see the Sworks Epic being such a prolific winner you naturally assume thats the best bike. Same goes for the Pinarello Dogma. I wouldn't buy either of those given the chance. Way better and cooler bikes out there IMHO. That said, most are just jealous that they cant afford top end machinery and thats what drives their opinions. It certainly doesn't stop at bicycles and transcends all facets of our lives. Cars, houses, clothes, watches, holidays, restaurants, the list goes on. Many have a hard time genuinely being happy for others. Anyways back to bikes. 

The world has moved on, mostly, from the out and out 90mm/100mm XC racing bikes and the new class of 120mm bikes, with their hint of trail and modern geo, is definitely the way to go for most. I recently made this move and my enjoyment factor whilst riding has gone off the charts. Across the board its a better experience. An all round improvement. Maybe a bit heavier that a Sworks Epic which makes no difference in my world. Pro's outweigh the cons ten fold and I recommend the same style of bike to all my mates who are in the market. Its the future of MTB. 

I think this iteration of the Epic Evo will outsell the Epic. Even in SA. Its a better all round machine and the fact that servicing isn't such a nightmare will lure far more people. 

Possibly. I live in hope. Pals of mine who ride S-works also like the concept store experience and won't consider anything else because of it. The culture of "its someone else's problem" when its in for a service makes the concept store an easy sell.

The XCO bike and the EVO speak to different demographics. You'll more pure mountain bikers opting into the EVO category

its nice, just pity about the brain shock

Why?

The new brain is amazing and on a race bike it makes sense.

The Brain has come on leaps and bounds since everyone poo-poo'd it (justifiably) back in the day.

Have you ridden a 2020 or 2021 brain?

Possibly. I live in hope. Pals of mine who ride S-works also like the concept store experience and won't consider anything else because of it. The culture of "its someone else's problem" when its in for a service makes the concept store an easy sell.

The XCO bike and the EVO speak to different demographics. You'll more pure mountain bikers opting into the EVO category

I must say that the service I have had from said concept stores is utterly revolting. Except for Tygervalley actually, the rest were all useless in every respect to be honest. In fact once I bought my bike I took it to my LBS to take it apart and put it back together. We even joked that I should just have collected the box and have my LBS assemble it because the Concept Store did it so poorly!

Personally concept store experience wouldn't even feature on my list of why to buy a Specialized. Their service, technical experience and attitudes have always been wanting. At least thats been my experience. 

I must say that the service I have had from said concept stores is utterly revolting. Except for Tygervalley actually, the rest were all useless in every respect to be honest. In fact once I bought my bike I took it to my LBS to take it apart and put it back together. We even joked that I should just have collected the box and have my LBS assemble it because the Concept Store did it so poorly!

Personally concept store experience wouldn't even feature on my list of why to buy a Specialized. Their service, technical experience and attitudes have always been wanting. At least thats been my experience. 

I'm with you on that one. Key reason I'm not a fan of the brand.

It's not Envy, Envy goes better with Santa Cruz or Yeti - and that's even more expensive :ph34r:

Oi leave us out of this and go wash your mouth out with soap for even mentioning us on a Spaz thread... Friday.