Cape Epic Bike Advice

jJeffrey

Hi al 

I am doing my first Cape Epic in 2021 I would like some advice from the experts that have done a few Epic s ,do I upgrade to a new bike or do i upgrade my drive train , shocks or whatever on my S8 Adrenaline 
please advice

Some points:

A special mtb is not required. A mate rode the Epic on a old bike with V-brakes.

Recommendations:

Reliable components - SLX or NX at least

Climbing gears - a gear that you can push on day 1 can be too heavy on on day 5.

If your FTP is less than 4W/kg don't buy a XC Race bike. Buy a XC/Trail fun bike with 120mm travel. You will thank me later :).

Good components but: Reliability over weight.

Strong tires.

Strong rims or foam protector in the rims

Learn to repair your bike in the field. Not just plugging and bombing but other repairs too.

Learn to downhill like a champ. Learn to love technical stuff. Not because there is a lot of this during Epic. But this is when you want to relax, recover and even have fun after the long climbs. There is nothing worse than bombing down a loose jeep track with 50km/h with riders in your front and back, and shitting your pants. You want to be confident and chilled in these situations so you can recover for the next climb.

Enjoy!

Hi al 

I am doing my first Cape Epic in 2021 I would like some advice from the experts that have done a few Epic s ,do I upgrade to a new bike or do i upgrade my drive train , shocks or whatever on my S8 Adrenaline 

please advice

You need to give more info than that.

What wheels 

What Gearing do you have

What Fork are you running

I know the S8 can do the Epic, have seen it.

The one I saw was running a 30T front oval, and 11-46T 11 speed rear. 

100mm Fork, and Dt Swiss Hubs.

XT cranks and pedals

It is not just the frame that will get you through the Epic BUT the componets.

Here are some stuff I have seen. And none are related to the frame.

1. Saddle rail broke, dude rode on for as long as possible.....Saddle sore developed and he could not sit for 3 days never mind riding a bike

2. Freehub broke a pawl and destroyed the inside so he only had a free wheeling rear wheel. He walked but did not make cutoff.

3. Crank arm broke off

4. Rim broke in half, not sure if he fell

5.Handlebar broke at stem 

6. Pedal axel broke off

seems my post got deleted ..

I wouldn't buy a new bike. Its going to get trashed. Upgrade parts on your current bike to parts that will add comfort and reliability. If your suspension is in good working order then just give it a major service a month before the event. Stanchions get scored. Replace those parts. Pivot bearings and shafts. I've seen post Epic services run up bills as high as R25K! Do you want to spend a lot of money on a new bike just to face a massive repair bill?

Once the event is over, you'll either be in a space hungry for more or want to sell your bike and never see one again (this will pass).

Spend more time and resources getting yourself and your partner ready. The engine in this case is far more important. 

But if your heart is really set on a new bike, consider one of the 120mm travel light trail/XCM bikes that are being marketed currently. Theyre not necessary. I've completed a few and not one on a 29er.