Is 27.5 a "niche" in South Africa?

DR ◣◢

I'm preparing a trail bike build and since I i'm still on 26" I started looking around to see what my options are in the 27.5" market. 

I have a frame in mind but finding a Lyrik for example in 27.5" seems to be impossible. Also the choices for wheels (If you are buying complete) and tyres are fairly limited. 

Did this platform not take off that well? 

I have nothing against the 29" platform and it is actually my first choice. I'm definitely more likely to go there if parts availability on 27.5" is a problem.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm preparing a trail bike build and since I i'm still on 26" I started looking around to see what my options are in the 27.5" market. 

I have a frame in mind but finding a Lyrik for example in 27.5" seems to be impossible. Also the choices for wheels (If you are buying complete) and tyres are fairly limited. 

I have nothing against the 29" platform and it is actually my first choice. I'm definitely more likely to go there if parts availability on 27.5" is a problem.

I think 650b has been shelved.

The trend is 29er everything. The purists will all say 'no you're wrong', but pretty much all bike companies have been releasing trail bikes with wagon wheels for the last 2 ranges and moving away from 650b models.

It means you can pick up bargains, but there does seem to be less and less available as it's not the current market trend.

If you have wide 32 hole 'decent' 26er rims give me a shout! I'm looking.... Those are more rare than an honest politician

I think 650b has been shelved.

The trend is 29er everything. The purists will all say 'no you're wrong', but pretty much all bike companies have been releasing trail bikes with wagon wheels for the last 2 ranges and moving away from 650b models.

It means you can pick up bargains, but there does seem to be less and less available as it's not the current market trend.

If you have wide 32 hole 'decent' 26er rims give me a shout! I'm looking.... Those are more rare than an honest politician

Looks like it. 29er it is then. Was the first choice anyways. 

I'm building a new bike because I can't find 26" parts anymore haha. Don't want to put myself in the same place again. 

I will be parting out my Morewood. The wheels are green Loaded AMX rims on Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs.

Wouldn't say it didn't takeoff well, looking at whats available in the hub there is fair selection of items. I think its more of just knowing where to go looking. Been riding 650b for the past 4 years and only moved to a 29er because I got a really cool frame.

Looking at your fork options, yes they seem limited. might be a stock thing at the moment?

I'm building a new bike because I can't find 26" parts anymore haha. Don't want to put myself in the same place again. 

I will be parting out my Morewood. The wheels are green Loaded AMX rims on Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs.

Hit me up when you split. I'm assuming the 29mm ID rims.

I am looking for just rims as I have a set of pro4 hubs but I can always sell them. 

Good luck parting out the new bike. It's always exciting and distracting!

Hit me up when you split. I'm assuming the 29mm ID rims.

I am looking for just rims as I have a set of pro4 hubs but I can always sell them. 

Good luck parting out the new bike. It's always exciting and distracting!

Thanks man. 

Will let you know what the ID etc is. I'm only selling frame, fork, and wheels. Luckily all my parts can go across. 

... might be a stock thing at the moment?

Looks like it. The problem is most sites I tried will show "out of stock" though if they don't have stock. Seems like people don't stock a lot to begin with. 

For example I exclusively ride Hans Dampf tyres. in 29 you can get a massive range of compounds and casings. For 650b I can only find one option. 

Same with Onza tyres. Limited offering on 650b

Unfortunately 27.5/650B is pretty much dead in SA. I've still got one and keeping it for my wife or daughter because I reckon it has a place that SA distributors refuse to promote. That is where our world in SA is. Pointless farting against thunder

What morewood is it?

I think it's becoming a niche across the globe. It was an 'easy win' for marketing and bike manufacturers when it came out as no one had actually given good thought to how to make 29'r geo work across a lot of different kind of bikes and rider sizes.  

There seems to have been alot of 27.5 bikes about in SA and still a lot of the wheels and forks that I want in the classifieds end up being 27.5 and not 29r. 

I'm looking for a new all mountain hard tails and have seen a few that are 27.5 and I've just written them off. That is because I like 29'rs but also because I think 29rs are now so dailed for everything from XC to Enduro that I can't find a benefit to getting a 27.5. 

/snip

Sad that it was so short lived to be honest. Seems like the UK is still big on them but then again the availability of parts in first world countries makes it viable. 

29ers have come a very long way since I last rode one in 2013/14. 

Looks like it. The problem is most sites I tried will show "out of stock" though if they don't have stock. Seems like people don't stock a lot to begin with. 

For example I exclusively ride Hans Dampf tyres. in 29 you can get a massive range of compounds and casings. For 650b I can only find one option. 

Same with Onza tyres. Limited offering on 650b

you seriously have to change your user name to something like Mr Dampf!

The frame was built for me in 2012. It's a large Mbuzi in grey with white and green decals.

1.5" straight steerer tube with Hope tapered headset installed. 

Nice. Will keep an eye out when you list

Pieter1 had a 275 Lyrik for sale not long ago, may be worth a PM.

Forks are the main issue, the rest of what you need should be easy enough to get hold of. There are still a few decent uses for 275 bikes, so they'll be around for a bit - just not in the same numbers as 29.