Is 27.5 a "niche" in South Africa?

DR ◣◢

Pieter1 had a 275 Lyrik for sale not long ago, may be worth a PM.

Forks are the main issue, the rest of what you need should be easy enough to get hold of. There are still a few decent uses for 275 bikes, so they'll be around for a bit - just not in the same numbers as 29.

I need to PM you about something.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty new frames can take both 650b (up to +) as well as 29". So no point in them trying to make 650b thoroughbreds anymore imo. Why invest money in both when you can just make one that does both?

Also....mullets are a thing again lol

Man, I have been on 275 for the last 5 years coming from 29 and I haven't really struggled with finding parts as much. Even though you won't find it as easily as 29 but it is there none the less. 

Sometimes the limited options on tyres is a bummer but I have found that most shops don't really have a wide selection of more 'burly' or AM tyres but then again the same goes for 29 in this specific category but Rekon and Crossmarks are all over the place.

I will be riding my sweet 275 Cotic Rocket for a few more years.

And it does seem like a niche indeed with all the big wheels around but I just prefer it, I feel more at home on my little 275 wheels.

Man, I have been on 275 for the last 5 years coming from 29 and I haven't really struggled with finding parts as much. Even though you won't find it as easily as 29 but it is there none the less. 

Sometimes the limited options on tyres is a bummer but I have found that most shops don't really have a wide selection of more 'burly' or AM tyres but then again the same goes for 29 in this specific category but Rekon and Crossmarks are all over the place.

And it does seem like a niche indeed with all the big wheels around but I just prefer it, I feel more at home on my little 275 wheels.

Its a cotic rocket.... say no more.

Just posting this because it provides useful background:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/650b.html

The size as a concept was around long before the MTB world briefly adopted it as the perfect "in between" size. That spike in populatiry is definitely ending though, especially in XC mad RSA. But I think they will not disappear from the global market any time soon. A lot of touring bikes are built with 26inch and 650b wheels in mind. And 650b seems to be having a second renaissance in the gravel bike industry. 

An niche within a niche. That one is a keeper in any wheel size. 

the thing is ... if you are looking for proper trail and AM tyres (650b or 29'er) you need to first look for a proper LBS ....my best local options are Stoke and Black Sheep Bikes. They stock all you need.

Hmm I had moved from 29er HT to a FS 27.5 (is 650b the right term..?)

With me being not so tall, I just feel more comfy on a 27.5......

I started off in MTB  in 2013 with a 26er, and for me a 29er just feels "big".

Never had an issue with parts and nearly everything on my 27.5 is upgraded,

But when online shopping locally for new 27.5 tyres for example, there is definitely a limited range compared to 29.

I have thought of selling my bike, but I enjoy it so why not just keep it!

But if I sell- do I have to buy a new 29er? Is 27.5 really dead re new bikes?

(I'm on a Trance 27.5 and don't know if Giant even make new bikes in 27.5 anymore)

Wife is on 27.5. Hardtail and dual sus.

But she's real short, only frames we could find that is small enough.

But when online shopping locally for new 27.5 tyres for example, there is definitely a limited range compared to 29.

(I'm on a Trance 27.5 and don't know if Giant even make new bikes in 27.5 anymore)

In a similar space two years ahead. I went 29 reluctantly and still prefer 27.5 but no new bikes are coming out.in 29

What is a little better is that size small bikes are now available in 29 which goes someway toward mitigating the buslike feel of a 29er. Fro now its a matter of living with it till I can get another new MTB

Don't worry .... the wheel turns, at one point Giant were saying they would never make 29'ers, but would focus solely on 650B!

That vision was about as visionary as Cannondale making motorbikes!

Don't worry .... the wheel turns, at one point Giant were saying they would never make 29'ers, but would focus solely on 650B!

That vision was about as visionary as Cannondale making motorbikes!

Burn of the day. Giant have flipped on that one. First 29 Trance then press releases behind 27.5 as the true home of Trance and then, look, 29 it the true home of everything. 

I started off in MTB in 2013 with a 26er, and for me a 29er just feels "big".

As far as I know, Giant still makes the 650b Trance, but Giant sa does not bring them in...

I think some manufacturers make their small frames 650b specific - I know Cannondale does that. The big wheels impede on frame design.

Specialized also had a womens specific Camber at a stage that was 650b. Not sure what happened with this thought process once the Camber got canned.

Dead - no. Less popular/mainstream than a 29er - yes.