Is 27.5 a "niche" in South Africa?

DR ◣◢

I think some manufacturers make their small frames 650b specific - I know Cannondale does that. The big wheels impede on frame design.

Specialized also had a womens specific Camber at a stage that was 650b. Not sure what happened with this thought process once the Camber got canned.

Dead - no. Less popular/mainstream than a 29er - yes.

Cannondale did the Mens Small Scalpel and Ladies S and Medium Scalpel in 650b.

The distributor didn't promote them.

South Africans, thanks to our gutter education bought into the dodgy science of big wheels roll faster further what ever *** the salespeople vomited. Omnico literally killed the GT brand in SA due to it being the other brand that committed to 650B.

its a real shame because now I see so many women struggling on big wheel bikes because they were sold bikes that are just too unwieldy. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a look now on Giant SA website- or is this just marketing not reality?

Can see the Reign 2 for 45k in 27.5   -   and the Stance 2 for 25k in 27.5

I'd probably want a new bike inbetween these two.

As far as I know, Giant still makes the 650b Trance, but Giant sa does not bring them in...

Hmm I had moved from 29er HT to a FS 27.5 (is 650b the right term..?)

With me being not so tall, I just feel more comfy on a 27.5......

I started off in MTB in 2013 with a 26er, and for me a 29er just feels "big".

Never had an issue with parts and nearly everything on my 27.5 is upgraded,

But when online shopping locally for new 27.5 tyres for example, there is definitely a limited range compared to 29.

I have thought of selling my bike, but I enjoy it so why not just keep it!

But if I sell- do I have to buy a new 29er? Is 27.5 really dead re new bikes?

(I'm on a Trance 27.5 and don't know if Giant even make new bikes in 27.5 anymore)

Jip, Giant have ebikes in 27.5.

So the wheels and shocks are still available.

Not sure of the Trance ...

I have a 2018 Giant Trance 27,5 and very happy with it. If I’m not mistaken Scott also pushed hard on 27,5 for a year or 2? Don’t think it will ever be gone completely. Quite a few e-bikes are also 27,5 and having played with the gravel bike idea i think 27,5 x 1,9/2,1 is the way to go.

I've just bought a Trance frame and struggling to find non boost thru axle wheels and a fork at sensible prices. I think I may just stick a 29er fork in it, not going to affect much.

Apparently 27.5 2.8 is pretty much the same rolling diameter as 29 2.1...

Came from a 27.5 plus bike to now a 29er plus bike (I went even further from the mainstream haha). While there are definitely some more limitations in terms of availability of parts, they do exist if you're willing to temper your expectations and specificity.

Ride what you like and what feels right to you. Time spent riding far outweighs time spent upgrading (in my case anyway).

Absolutely loving my Scott Genius 27.5 FS! Much more manoeuvrable (in my own way), and the plus tyres does wonders for confidence.

BUT saying that, I specifically bought the Genius so that I could change to 29 wheels, should I wish to do so in future (and if I can find a decent but affordable set of wheels meeting all the specs!)

(I'm on a Trance 27.5 and don't know if Giant even make new bikes in 27.5 anymore)

I am a Trance fan (a 5 year old 27.5) and keep an eye on the local releases each year. The last two years their focus has definitely been on 29", if the trend continues the 27.5 might hang around a little while longer as their budget entry but that's about it.

Went from 26 Trance to a 29’r and after a while got a Commencal Meta 4.2 as a more enduro ride. I’m not a tall guy but made sure the 29r had a low stand over and never had any issues. The 29 was a 130 / 120mm trail bike and the 27.5 was 160 up front and about 150 rear. Despite the Meta having

more travel and more aggressive geo it got hung up more and was less capable in jonkers and the fun stuff around my way in Stellies than the short travel 29.

I've just bought a Trance frame and struggling to find non boost thru axle wheels and a fork at sensible prices. I think I may just stick a 29er fork in it, not going to affect much.

Apparently 27.5 2.8 is pretty much the same rolling diameter as 29 2.1...

do it

post-64325-0-65605300-1593059004_thumb.gif

Edited by morneS555

Cannondale did the Mens Small Scalpel and Ladies S and Medium Scalpel in 650b.

The distributor didn't promote them.

South Africans, thanks to our gutter education bought into the dodgy science of big wheels roll faster further what ever *** the salespeople vomited. Omnico literally killed the GT brand in SA due to it being the other brand that committed to 650B.

its a real shame because now I see so many women struggling on big wheel bikes because they were sold bikes that are just too unwieldy.

Silverback made 29" front and 27.5 rear wheel bike of which I sold a few to shorter lady riders that seems to work well.

It's not just SA. 27.5 is dying a slow death internationally as well.

It will be the same in the gravel scene as well. Tyre manufacturers predicted that it would become the default size but it's going the other way. While 650b is fun 700c just rolls faster off-road over corrugated and rough roads.