Vye Cycling

Chris_

How does everyone still feel about their bibs? 

I'm looking at the Mirage to replace the dismal failure that is Fox. 

Size chart suggests XL for my 1.79m/105kg frame with 108cm around the wide part of the buttocks and 65cm thigh.

Send your measurements to sales@vyecyclekit.co.za, they responded quickly and were spot on with their recommendation. 

For the price, I have no complaints about the quality and comfort. 

I have the Mirage and have done multiple rides over 3 hours with no discomfort, except my lack of fitness and ability.

Edited by Robert Crumb

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read your feedback. Thanks. 

We normally sit for 2 to 3 hours though. Is the Velo maybe a better choice? Worried about the part where they say "The Velo bib is best suited for those who run an aggressive setup on the bike, with a specific pad placement that will help you hunt your goals and not have to worry about your backside."

have not tried the Velo so cant comment. For longer rides I prefer my Ciovita Corsa. But I'm also starting to think that maybe my saddle is not the best fit for me.

I read your feedback. Thanks. 

We normally sit for 2 to 3 hours though. Is the Velo maybe a better choice? Worried about the part where they say "The Velo bib is best suited for those who run an aggressive setup on the bike, with a specific pad placement that will help you hunt your goals and not have to worry about your backside."

The velo bib is cut for a more aggressive position on the bike. The pad is moved slightly more forward to provide support for the supertuck and for those whose flexibility allows them to exploit a more aero position on the bike.

The mirage is a more generic fit suitable for more upright riders and MTB. I've used the Mirage for stage races without discomfort. As with any garment getting the most out it depends on it fitting correctly.

For the Velo, some may want to size up one size from the Mirage. The Vye sizing chart is for the Mirage Bibs and granite tops. The Velo range sizes are for a more racey fit.

hope that helps

Edited by DieselnDust

have not tried the Velo so cant comment. For longer rides I prefer my Ciovita Corsa. But I'm also starting to think that maybe my saddle is not the best fit for me.

There is also a saddle to bib short pad interface to be considered.

I usually use a SMP saddle. I had a Antares recovered and have been trying it  out. Its comfy with my Vye, Pave and Assos bibs. Rubbish with my Cuore, castelli and Ciovita bibs.

On the SMP, only the Cuore's deliver problems, except when I wear the size SMALL Cuore. The pad is smaller. 

So the anecdotal evidence is steering me in the direction of considering the chamois that works best with my saddle. 

The velo bid is cut for a more aggressive position on the bike. The pad is moved slightly more forward to provide support for the supertuck and for those whose flexibility allows them to exploit a more aero position on the bike.

The mirage is a more generic fit suitable for more upright riders and MTB. I've used the Mirage for stage races without discomfort. As with any garment getting the most out it depends on it fitting correctly.

For the Velo, some may want to size up one size from the Mirage. The Vye sizing chart is for the Mirage Bibs and granite tops. The Velo range sizes are for a more racey fit.

hope that helps

More than helps! Thanks so much. Ordered the Mirage in the size recommended from Max. 

Hoping for speedy shipping. Can't train at the moment and i'm getting grumpy :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of rides in and....

The size Large fits snug but not tight. I’m happy that i bought the correct size.

However, does anyone feel that the chamois on the Mirage is too far back and that the old “member” seems to crawl forward a bit too far?

I’m not in an “aggressive” position at all but maybe the Velo will be a better fit?

• 2 years later...

I know this is a couple of years down the line, but wanted to give some feedback on Vye shirts (cycling jerseys) since I would have found it very beneficial before buying. 

Im in JHB so couldnt try the jerseys on before buying. As a benchmark, I usually wear a L in Ciovita Sport Fit and prefer XL in Ciovita Race Fit. I was advised by Vye to rather size up if uncertain, so I went with an XL - I can hardly breathe in the jersey, and it seems to be made for shorter riders as it doesnt cover my stomach when I have bibs on 🤨 

The jersey looks great and the material feels good, so I am not bashing Vye at all but it is honestly not very usable. I am also hesitant to size up further since the "crop top" look may not be fixed by going XXL. It is disappointing because I would definitely buy more of the jerseys if the sizing was more accommodating. 

For reference, I am 187cm and 89kg. Weight is evenly distributed and more "athletic" - around 8% body fat. It seems Vye cater for the more "typical" rider (shorter with very little upper body).  

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their jerseys??

21 minutes ago, Mattman said:

I know this is a couple of years down the line, but wanted to give some feedback on Vye shirts (cycling jerseys) since I would have found it very beneficial before buying. 

Im in JHB so couldnt try the jerseys on before buying. As a benchmark, I usually wear a L in Ciovita Sport Fit and prefer XL in Ciovita Race Fit. I was advised by Vye to rather size up if uncertain, so I went with an XL - I can hardly breathe in the jersey, and it seems to be made for shorter riders as it doesnt cover my stomach when I have bibs on 🤨 

The jersey looks great and the material feels good, so I am not bashing Vye at all but it is honestly not very usable. I am also hesitant to size up further since the "crop top" look may not be fixed by going XXL. It is disappointing because I would definitely buy more of the jerseys if the sizing was more accommodating. 

For reference, I am 187cm and 89kg. Weight is evenly distributed and more "athletic" - around 8% body fat. It seems Vye cater for the more "typical" rider (shorter with very little upper body).  

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their jerseys??

When I bought my Mirage bibs from them a few years back they were very accommodating with regards to exchanging the size I bought for a bigger size.

Did you contact them when you discovered the jersey was to short ?

> 187cm and 89kg... around 8% body fat.

You are carrying a huge amount of muscle. Body builders or rugby players or anyone doing another sport that leads to a non-cyclist or non-normie build should only buy what they can try on IMO.

> the "crop top" look

If your jersey looks good and fits comfortably while standing, it has too much material in the front. In a riding position the distance from neck to waist is very short.

CapoVelo.com - NoPinz Pro 1 Jersey and Bibshort Reviewed

Your build suggests you are underweight…

anyway , generally I wear small in ciovita race fit and small in Vye granite (sport fit garment)

I find Vye to be slightly more snug in the same size and intended use I.e. race fit to face fit

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Your build suggests you are underweight…

His BMI is nearly 26 which is technically overweight.
His body fat percentage is low, so has to be muscular. He is in range for a body builder in a cut phase that is approaching a competition.

out of curiosity I went on my scale to check, it tells me at 69.9kg for 178 I'm at 21.5% body fat 🤣 I feel if I loose anymore I'll litteraly look like a slum dog (my wife says I already do).

EDIT : I checked the report body20 did when I went for rehab after injuring a knee, back then I wasn't seriously into cycling, and the report gave 12.5% fat at 75.2kg, so my scale is drunk.

Regarding the topic, I just go my fist Vye items, jacket and jersey in M feel the right size, maybe just a little bit loser than I would've liked, but it probably comes down more to the fit I picked than actual sizing

Edited by Jbr

6 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

His BMI is nearly 26 which is technically overweight.
His body fat percentage is low, so has to be muscular. He is in range for a body builder in a cut phase that is approaching a competition.

Argh sorry this damn predictive text suggests words used more commonly. Yes bmi indicated slightly overweight 

I did think the body fat is extremely low! Good insight on the body builder comparison thanks 

23 minutes ago, Jbr said:

out of curiosity I went on my scale to check, it tells me at 69.9kg for 178 I'm at 21.5% body fat 🤣 I feel if I loose anymore I'll litteraly look like a slum dog (my wife says I already do).

EDIT : I checked the report body20 did when I went for rehab after injuring a knee, back then I wasn't seriously into cycling, and the report gave 12.5% fat at 75.2kg, so my scale is drunk.

Regarding the topic, I just go my fist Vye items, jacket and jersey in M feel the right size, maybe just a little bit loser than I would've liked, but it probably comes down more to the fit I picked than actual sizing

probably definitely...

and congrats.

7 minutes ago, Jbr said:

R2000 for a jersey, jacket and gilet... couldn't really skip on that 🥰

Their speed suits are really nice too and we’ll priced