Rocker Plates

I thought i'd start a Rocker Plate topic

I follow the Rocker Plate page on BookFace - Lots of guys making their own and some good designs.

I think its a cool DIY project to build my own. taking one of the members design i need to locally source the following parts - all available on Amazon but want to source locally.

Anyone in the engineering retail trade know where i can get them locally ?

post-2304-0-73949500-1593179867_thumb.jpg

post-2304-0-24249600-1593179902_thumb.jpg

post-2304-0-81570600-1593179951_thumb.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'm also in the process of designing a Rocker Plate, with integrated (but removeable) Computer/Tablet stand. A friend is helping me, he's busy with the technical drawings as we speak.

Trying to keep it uncomplicated. Got a few good ideas going.

'm also in the process of designing a Rocker Plate, with integrated (but removeable) Computer/Tablet stand. A friend is helping me, he's busy with the technical drawings as we speak.

Trying to keep it uncomplicated. Got a few good ideas going.

Lots of info on here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/415329188897706/?tn-str=*F&fref=gs&dti=415329188897706&hc_location=group_dialog

There is a post by Joe Ackerman - has a simple design and very functional

I saw some advertised in the classifieds the other day?

The Sway Cycling one?

I got myself the half one. I did think to make my own, but... it would have been yet another unfinished project.

The Sway Cycling one?

I got myself the half one. I did think to make my own, but... it would have been yet another unfinished project.

Yes, think that was it.  What's it like, build quality and does it work?

I've seen a design that is basically a super sized skateboard. You mount the trucks to a piece of plywood  (Think giant skateboard) and you run the trucks inside a set of simple wooden rails with stoppers.

This gives the side to side motion and the back and forth motion.

I saw some advertised in the classifieds the other day?

Their product looks well made and a reasonable price - But i want fore/aft movement as well.

Yes, think that was it.  What's it like, build quality and does it work?

It's decent.

The build quality seems very good, and I like the clever way the half version could be extended by just bolting on the rest should you later decide you'd prefer a full length one.

As for the movement, without my trainer mat I find it pretty easy to get it to move reasonably naturally while seated.

Standing is ok too, once you figure it out. Have not tried sprinting yet.

One thing though, depending on your trainer it can be tricky to get the position right. On my H2, the bike position is quite off-center, so to get the bike in the center means the left leg is near the edge. This isn't the fault of the platform of course, just something to keep in mind.

The Saris MP1 is awesome, but sadly way WAY out of my price range.

Edited by HdB

Your local Bearing Man could be a good place to start. RS Components would also stock most of the items you want but they can be quite expensive.

I follow the Rocker Plate page on BookFace - Lots of guys making their own and some good designs.

I think its a cool DIY project to build my own. taking one of the members design i need to locally source the following parts - all available on Amazon but want to source locally.

attachicon.gifrocker rod.JPG

attachicon.gifrocker rod clamp.JPG

attachicon.gifrocker linear bearings.JPG

Your local Bearing Man could be a good place to start. RS Components would also stock most of the items you want but they can be quite expensive.

RS are very expensive pricey -  i been looking at DIY Electronics which have the same bearings but not in 20mm biggest they have on their website are 12mm - Ill give them a call on Monday

Edited by madmarc

It's decent.

The build quality seems very good, and I like the clever way the half version could be extended by just bolting on the rest should you later decide you'd prefer a full length one.

As for the movement, without my trainer mat I find it pretty easy to get it to move reasonably naturally while seated.

Standing is ok too, once you figure it out. Have not tried sprinting yet.

One thing though, depending on your trainer it can be tricky to get the position right. On my H2, the bike position is quite off-center, so to get the bike in the center means the left leg is near the edge. This isn't the fault of the platform of course, just something to keep in mind.

The Saris MP1 is awesome, but sadly way WAY out of my price range.

I think have seen many place diving weights on the opposite leg to balance out the weight of the flywheei, so that it can be centred.

Thanks for the feedback

I think have seen many place diving weights on the opposite leg to balance out the weight of the flywheei, so that it can be centred.

Thanks for the feedback

It actually has place under the platform to fasten some weights. I still need to experiment with how much weight I need to balance it out - it seems fine when riding easy, but leans left slightly on harder efforts

rocker rod.JPG

rocker rod clamp.JPG

rocker linear bearings.JPG

For Silver Steel you could try Broadway Heat Treatment in Benoni, I am sure if you asked nicely they would cut pieces to the correct length you want, and they can harden it as well..

Lots of info on here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/415329188897706/?tn-str=*F&fref=gs&dti=415329188897706&hc_location=group_dialog

There is a post by Joe Ackerman - has a simple design and very functional

BTW - for those looking for drawings - If you got to the above FB page and navigate to the files section there are a few proper design drawings and parts lists for various designs that members have shared

BTW - for those looking for drawings - If you got to the above FB page and navigate to the files section there are a few proper design drawings and parts lists for various designs that members have shared

Hey madmarc have you tried getting in touch with any CNC workshops local to you? They are usually more than happy to help you source materials locally at a decent price as well as offer expert advice on construction.

There's a great little family-run CNC steel business in Maitland who are helping me with my ROCKIT Rocker Plates.  

Good luck with the DIY project.

Ross

#rockitrideit

Edited by ROCKITRIDEIT