Rocker Plates

Been following this and decided to get something built. Read up quite on a bit on the FB page, and see a few people had issues with the balls popping so I went the easier "rocker" way.

Used ply wood for a full length rocker with 5 rockers, seems stable enough. I spent 3 hours on it so far and seated riding is quite nice but standing and sprinting will take some time to get use to.

Will post pics once i'm done with the paint job.

Look forward to seeing the finished piece!

Edited by ACE Cycles

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been following this and decided to get something built. Read up quite on a bit on the FB page, and see a few people had issues with the balls popping so I went the easier "rocker" way.

Used ply wood for a full length rocker with 5 rockers, seems stable enough. I spent 3 hours on it so far and seated riding is quite nice but standing and sprinting will take some time to get use to.

Will post pics once i'm done with the paint job.

Sounds awesome Veebee. Agreed it does take some getting used to wrt timing and pedal / riding action, but once you get the hang of it it’s a game changer.

Perhaps consider a wooden floor sealer type finish rather than paint?

Look forward to seeing pics of your rocker.

Thanks Ross, its refreshing to see that you can appreciate the use of inflatables in our design, especially considering your strong views against inflatables both here and on your social media platforms.

Absolutely, the more rocker plates that are out there the better. At least I’m consistent in my beliefs, probably why I’m not a politician.

Absolutely, the more rocker plates that are out there the better. At least I’m consistent in my beliefs, probably why I’m not a politician.

That's a pity, I bet you'd make a great politician, especially when publicly bashing competitive products on what you believe to be design flaws. Unlike the political climate in SA we would prefer our product to do the talking.

ROQA ON

That's a pity, I bet you'd make a great politician, especially when publicly bashing competitive products on what you believe to be design flaws. Unlike the political climate in SA we would prefer our product to do the talking.

ROQA ON

Sjoe, how to respond?

Good luck with the sales ACE, as I said before the more rocker plates out there the better.

Hi All, Great to see this thread. Good luck with the builds - keen to see the results and what was learnt along the way. 

Despite being a board manufacturer (ROQAboards) I encourage the DIY aspect of these boards. There is definitely a place for it - Especially at a time like this. Use your heads and your hands - it will be good for you. 

For those who don't have the time, desire on inclination - we've got your back! Quality materials, precise design and CNC cutting results is an extremely high quality board that performs exceptionally well.

What I don't encourage is copy and paste logic as if it is the only logic when in reality it is just narrative that suits a particular design/belief.

The main myth is that inflatables provide a bounce back that takes away from the performance and experience and, therefore, renders them inferior to any rib design AND that there is a high probability of the inflatables bursting. Please tell this to the best selling board manufacturers across the US and UK (SBR, Bespoke, OMNI etc).

In reality the facts are that quality inflatables fitted correctly (with the correct chamfer on the board to match the profile of the ball) and the inflatable being kept within the correct pressures negates these theories.

In my opinion a full length rocker is a more complete solution and having level, stable steps built into the board for mounting and dismounting your bike is a worthy upgrade.  Furthermore ROQA's are incredibly stable and well balanced. The unit itself wont move a millimetre from the original position on the floor no matter how many watts are being put down. The top plate can be set as firm or as soft as you want it. The softer the better in my experience. Bounce back is not a thought that will enter into your mind regardless of the type of session you are doing. You will suffer less body fatigue, experience more comfort and put the worries of your expensive bike frame on an static indoor trainer to bed. 

Get your Roq on!

Edited by ROQAboards

my thoughts exactly, everyone punting their best rockers...

In anycase, I wont ever spend R5k or R8k, or the stupid R20k on some rocker plate.

...its friday,

wonder if you can make rocker plates for bed bases

45cm gym balls should work ? they are afterall "antiburst"

Was only a matter of time before the rocker boards challenged the sway boards.

Who's are best ? None I tell you. Because everyone trying to emulate indoor what happens on the road. Before you can do this you need to be moving forward and the pivot point needs to be at the same height - You cannot achieve this on any design rocker.

On the road, the angle between the bike and the road is constantly changing - on a rocker/sway board it remains at 90 deg.

The jury is still out on where the pivot point is out on the road - is it at the BB height or where the tires touch the road ?? irrespective, on a rocker/sway board its below the road.

An energized rocker will always force the bike back vertical - which is the complete opposite to being on the road where the rider pulls the bike back to the vertical.

The sway board design probably emulates this better. But its natural position will always be to the vertical as well, but the rider will have to do more work to keep upright.

At the end of the day if you using a rocker to get that outside ride feel - you wasting your money, it won't happen.

If you looking for some side to side movement or for and aft movement, then ye a rocker is the way to go.

Was only a matter of time before the rocker boards challenged the sway boards.

Who's are best ? None I tell you. Because everyone trying to emulate indoor what happens on the road. Before you can do this you need to be moving forward and the pivot point needs to be at the same height - You cannot achieve this on any design rocker.

On the road, the angle between the bike and the road is constantly changing - on a rocker/sway board it remains at 90 deg.

The jury is still out on where the pivot point is out on the road - is it at the BB height or where the tires touch the road ?? irrespective, on a rocker/sway board its below the road.

An energized rocker will always force the bike back vertical - which is the complete opposite to being on the road where the rider pulls the bike back to the vertical.

The sway board design probably emulates this better. But its natural position will always be to the vertical as well, but the rider will have to do more work to keep upright.

At the end of the day if you using a rocker to get that outside ride feel - you wasting your money, it won't happen.

If you looking for some side to side movement or for and aft movement, then ye a rocker is the way to go.

That's the thing... There is no direct replacement for outdoor forward momentum riding. It is not achievable on any rocker regardless of where you deem the pivot point to be. The idea is to get closer to a more natural movement, improve comfort, protect your bike and ease the pressure on your body.

Is it a mistake to think any of these products are a direct replacement for riding outdoors - yes

Do people still train indoors on smart or non-smart static trainers - yes. 

Should people improve the experience and introduce a more natural movement to riding indoors - yes