2012 Santacruz tallboy build

WillemT

So the next project has started, and this time it's bike related for the first time in MANY years.

Making plans to get back on the bike after too many years off it... But this build is actually for my wife and not for me.

Currently she has a very dated scott scale 40, while dated still a nice bike.

With a bit of luck and a family member upgrading to a newer frame I got hold of a 2012 carbon tallboy frame with the rear shock included. Cost me some money but totally still worth it.

Frame will need a paint job as it has a lot of chips in the paint... 

The plan for the build is to do it on a budget for now and then upgrade over time. So I'll be grabbing some drivetrain parts off of the scott to use for now.

Part I have already:

- Tall boy frame

- rear shock

- rear wheel, another set picked up from a fellow bikehub member arriving next week

- Rockshox reba front shock, quite a bit of stanchion wear but it works fine for now, would like to fit a black lefty in time...

- complete headset

- complete BB

- front derailer

- setback seatpost

- stem

- slx brakes

- easton bar hopefully ariving next week from a fellow bikehubber...

- cable set

Parts to be taken from the scott:

- Crank

- rear derailleur

- cassette

- chain

- saddle 

Part still needed:

- slx or xt 3x9 shifters (not sure if I'm going to find a set of these)

- 180mm rotors

- grips

- tyres

The thinking about the 9 speed drivetrain, I know it's already outdated, is simply to limit the initial cost of the build by taking it off the scott and since I have a few new 9 speed chains and cassettes, I could just as well use them first.

First up will need to be the frame. So will start taking the frame apart at some stage and prep it to get painted. My neighbor loves spraypainting so that part is covered. 

From thos who have done this before, what type of paint works well for the bike frames, just normal 2k?

And then decals or stickers, I would like to keep the bike's original look but don't know where to get stickers or stencils made or whatever to get the name back on in the original size and font... Any ideas?

Will post a few pics for those interested during the process... Due date for this to be completed is 22 Aug, as I want to hand it over on the 23rd as a birthday present...
More than enough time to look for those 9 speed shifters... and get the frame done...

CBR in Durbanville will be able to help with any decals for frame and fork. And might be worth it having them give you a quote to redo the frame. I wanted to spray a old Santa Cruz but the price they gave me was totally worth it and it came out better than I could imagine.

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

O and on the 3x slx shifter I have one you can have.

Thanks I'll give CBR a shout. Checked out their webpage and their work looks great, just scared of the price tag... maybe it won't be that bad. 

I'll definitely take the slx shifter off your hands, will be happy to buy it from you aswell...

If I can't find the 9 speed matching one then I'll just take the slx one off my bike and use that. I have a new 9 speed xtr shifter lying around, so can use that on my bike then... 

Will check out the suggested tyres. I found the crossmarks to have a nice low rolling resistance and good millage when doing some tar inbetween...

Got the wheels today. Looks like decent wheels, will do for now. Might leave the other one I have on the rear. But I kind off like a matched wheelset.

post-3237-0-57895200-1593446284_thumb.jpeg

post-3237-0-63556700-1593446334_thumb.jpeg

Will check out the suggested tyres. I found the crossmarks to have a nice low rolling resistance and good millage when doing some tar inbetween...

Crossmarks are the Gatorskins of the MTB world.

Crossmarks are the Gatorskins of the MTB world.

I have no issue using a mtb Gatorskin.... used to pump my gator skins at least 10bar that I had on my road wheels...

Will look at the alternatives as well....

So I checked out CBR last week...

Wanted to get vinyls cut to use as stencils for the frame respray... So basically they're not willing to help out with that as they say that's what they sell... well then so much for that...

A respray with them will cost R4600... so not gonna happen for this build... The name on the frame has actually got very little to no paint damage, just one spot, so I might just mask that off and respray the rest and cover the whole frame with a matt clear coat... will see.

got some more parts over the weekend...

Stylo crank from BIL, xt shifters and derailleur from an old varsity friend and the tyres from cwc.
Got the bar off the classifieds, was actually hoping the carbon bar would work but missed the diameters, so for now it will be the straight alu bar...

Basically about there with parts... Didn't want to break up the other bike for one or two parts only, so looking at some brakes now...
There was a formula sx set in the classifieds, which I'm not sure if it's available anymore, and a magura MT2 set which I'm actually after, just waiting on confirmation whether the deal is going ahead on the maguras... My magura julie brakes that I'm running on the cannondale has been the best brakes by far that I've had, that's why I still run them, so looking forward to try out the MT2's on the santa...

To save the other bike I'll just throw a new chain and cassette on that I still have in my spares box.

Edited by WillemT