South Africa’s First Subscription Box for Cycling Gear

News bot

Subscription box services are a growing trend for people to get niceties delivered to their front doors. But while this sounds like fun, you’re a cyclist. You want to get out on the trail or road and grind out miles for fun times and faster times. And you know that having the right gear is what gets you there.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I pay close to R1500 and don't exactly know what I'm getting?

Is there some form of questionnaire that you at least know what items the person already has or needs? One only needs so many pumps, multi tools, water bottle cages or pairs of socks, unless its really something special. 

Absolutely love the idea....but, I agree with some of the sentiments here. What happens if you get a pink bottle holder? Perhaps a very nice, premium bottle holder but if it clashes with your colour scheme or you already have 2 on your frame, its rendered useless. And the price is a bit steep with that degree of uncertainty.

Perhaps an option would be to have a 'cheaper' option, that doesn't include the big ticket items but does all the smaller things, bike wash, chain lube, ride consumables etc. That I would look into a lot more.

Not for me. 

I don't like surprises. I also buy just what I need at any given time. No point in having another "box of hate" in the house. 

These work well with beer boxes, baking boxes, gin boxes, food boxes because within reason everything in the box can be used/appreciated.

I think cycling is too nuanced. Firstly its expensive, so you just don't need some things in triplicate. But mostly we like certain brands, certain colours, and I mean what would I do with the mtb stuff when I only have a road bike? 

These work well with beer boxes, baking boxes, gin boxes, food boxes because within reason everything in the box can be used/appreciated.

I think cycling is too nuanced. Firstly its expensive, so you just don't need some things in triplicate. But mostly we like certain brands, certain colours, and I mean what would I do with the mtb stuff when I only have a road bike?

Spot on mate...times are tough and we cant afford to spend on unneccessary stuff...only whats needed when its needed.

Spot on with your sentiments. Just a note, I looked at the sign up process, and it looks like you have to choose whether you are MTB or a roadie, so it seems as it would be specific to one discipline or another.

Wife and daughter did a subscription fashion box. Stopped it soon after because:

• Novelty wears off quickly
  • Don't like everything they send - personal taste
  • Expensive for what you get
  • You don't need new stuff every month

Same applies to this bike box.

As said above I'm struggling to find any value in this. 

This looks 100% like a lockdown startup, so kudos to whoever is behind it for taking the initiative..

I wish them good luck, but i don't see how the "wine of the month club" system translates to cycling. I personally don't see much point in a subscription that I need to pay 3 months before I get a mystery something (for "free" nogal). I think either they've underestimated how people shop online for cycling kit, or have negotiated insane deals that make it a bargain bang for buck deal. I'm prepared to wait and see on the latter being the case.

This looks 100% like a lockdown startup, so kudos to whoever is behind it for taking the initiative..

I wish them good luck, but i don't see how the "wine of the month club" system translates to cycling. I personally don't see much point in a subscription that I need to pay 3 months before I get a mystery something (for "free" nogal). I think either they've underestimated how people shop online for cycling kit, or have negotiated insane deals that make it a bargain bang for buck deal. I'm prepared to wait and see on the latter being the case.

lets face it, this is South Africa where the wealth disparity is massive. There are plenty of housewives and Financial services people with more disposable income than they know what to do with wh would love to get a mystery prize every three months for a "Measly" R500/month. However I reckon even they will get gatvol of this after a while. My wife subscribes to some nutrition mystery box marketing *** so she gets this box in the mail every quarter. Our cupboard is filled with bottles of vitamins that I often flush down the toilet when she's not looking. Its one of those things where you can never get the debit order to stop because they continuously shipping to you. Nein danke