Review: Trek Supercaliber 9.8

Bike Hub Features

The Trek Supercaliber was shrouded in secrecy during the 2019 XCO season. Now, the tape (literally) has been cut and the out-and-out race bike is clear for all to see. Is it a bike for hardtail die-hards or does it have dual purpose use? We aimed it at the Western Cape’s trails to find out.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that after so many years manufacturers have to say 'fast or slow on the rebound dial "

We mountainbikers really have all the gear and zero knowledge

I love that after so many years manufacturers have to say 'fast or slow on the rebound dial "

too true. We won't even go into re valving the suspension to suit the conditions and rider preferences

+'s

• Trek has designed a dedicated race bike and a dedicated Marathon/light trail/downcountry bike in the Super calibre and TopFuel
  • A truly unique design
  • carbon wheels and finishing kit

-'s

• Heavy for such short travel and focus. It really needs to sub 10Kg across the reange before sealant, cages and pedals to be a serious race bike
  • GX on a R100K bike...... really??!!, No thanks
  • Fox 32 Performance at this price? 

If this bike with this spec was priced in the R70k-R80K range I would consider it. But its price puts  it out there  way above more capable and potentially lighter bikes. No way I'm paying R100k for 11.5kg! I picked up david George's Supercalibre and even with the top sec I was pretty underwhelmed by the weight. Its just not light enough for the concept to make sense.

+'s

• Trek has designed a dedicated race bike and a dedicated Marathon/light trail/downcountry bike in the Super calibre and TopFuel
  • A truly unique design
  • carbon wheels and finishing kit

-'s

• Heavy for such short travel and focus. It really needs to sub 10Kg across the reange before sealant, cages and pedals to be a serious race bike
  • GX on a R100K bike...... really??!!, No thanks
  • Fox 32 Performance at this price? 

If this bike with this spec was priced in the R70k-R80K range I would consider it. But its price puts  it out there  way above more capable and potentially lighter bikes. No way I'm paying R100k for 11.5kg! I picked up david George's Supercalibre and even with the top sec I was pretty underwhelmed by the weight. Its just not light enough for the concept to make sense.

Fair overview

those negatives are spot on and puts a massive X on it for me as i would want to upgrade fork and drivetrain the minute i get it and thats about 30-40k for something a bit lighter.

Cool bike tho...

I was wondering if dirt or mud will have an effect on the "sliding mechanism"?  

no more so than your forks or a conventional rear shock. The only alternative is an elastomer sprung titanium Softail

11.5kg!

Interesting. The specification weight is 10.46 kg for the 9.8. Which is almost 600 g exactly lighter than my Top fuel 9.8 SL 2018.

Leaving aside pricing considerations (major), I think that this bike is a little too niche for me. I'll stick with what I have – it's a good marathon bike that can do a fair bit of trail as well, et cetera. Fairly firm ride with the Reaktiv shock but I really like it – it works well and it climbs well. Still a good race bike while being a better all-rounder as well. Anyway, horses for courses, et cetera.

I recall Fox Front shox having not only "slow" , "fast" in writing but these were also complimented with a tortoise and hare  graphic. I guess we did evolve, only slightly so. 

Edited by vanniri

Interesting. The specification weight is 10.46 kg for the 9.8. Which is almost 600 g exactly lighter than my Top fuel 9.8 SL 2018.

Leaving aside pricing considerations (major), I think that this bike is a little too niche for me. I'll stick with what I have – it's a good marathon bike that can do a fair bit of trail as well, et cetera. Fairly firm ride with the Reaktiv shock but I really like it – it works well and it climbs well. Still a good race bike while being a better all-rounder as well. Anyway, horses for courses, et cetera.

Ya this weight thing is always a bitter pill. Manufacturers claim weights that never seem to be achievable with the spec you buy the bike with.

change the tyres and bang on goes 500 gr! Add sealant and pedals and we're a kilo heavier. It's like those tyres your bike comes fitted with are helium infused and only available as OEM supply.

Mind you - would love to ride Sani2C with this.  Might be an upgrade from my current 10.6kg 26er HT.

Edited by Underachiever

Ya this weight thing is always a bitter pill. Manufacturers claim weights that never seem to be achievable with the spec you buy the bike with.

change the tyres and bang on goes 500 gr! Add sealant and pedals and we're a kilo heavier. It's like those tyres your bike comes fitted with are helium infused and only available as OEM supply.

True. And then in the case of this particular manufacturer, the weight is usually based on the medium size frame.