Review: Trek Supercaliber 9.8

Bike Hub Features

I have a medium Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 2018 model.  And on the scale with XT trail pedals and full sealant incl bottle cage.  Hell just my tires are probably 500grams more than this bike and it in Came in at 13.1kg

this bike should be no more than 10.5kg with the above included.  Me thinks your scale is out of whack

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of these photos were taken on Contermanskloof farm NOT Hoogekraal. 

Correct. Although it's quite likely the bike was also ridden at Hoogekraal during the test period, considering how close the trails are. Just because you don't see it in the pictures doesn't mean it didn't happen?

I have a XL TREK Top Fuel 9.9 - GX Eagle - Old Bondrager wheels with a dropper post = 12.6kg

The price can be compared to the Epic

R80k for the GX one. This looks 20k more expensive, and comes without Brains (rider has to do all the thinking ????????)

Edited by Christie

• 3 years later...
Did not want to *** a new thread, so decided to just ask my question on this one. I know the Supercaliber can take 2 x Water bottles. Can it take 2 x 750ml bottles ? Been to 2 different Trek dealers and they are not sure. Also not to keen to fit a cage and test. From what I can see, the M will only take a 600ml at the back. Would the M/L or L take a 750ml ? Anyone actually tried it ?

1 hour ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

Did not want to *** a new thread, so decided to just ask my question on this one. I know the Supercaliber can take 2 x Water bottles. Can it take 2 x 750ml bottles ? Been to 2 different Trek dealers and they are not sure. Also not to keen to fit a cage and test. From what I can see, the M will only take a 600ml at the back. Would the M/L or L take a 750ml ? Anyone actually tried it ?

I have a large Supercaliber. Can confirm 2 x 750ml water bottles do fit. 

Thanks. I am between M/L and L, leaning towards M/L.

Seeing the photo of the L, it looks like a 750ml bottle fits quite easily.

Wondering if the M/L will not take bigger than 550ml, even with side entry cage ?

4 minutes ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

Thanks. I am between M/L and L, leaning towards M/L.

Seeing the photo of the L, it looks like a 750ml bottle fits quite easily.

Wondering if the M/L will not take bigger than 550ml, even with side entry cage ?

I reckon it should but I'm sure a shop can confirm for you. There is quite a lot of clearance which cannot be seen in the 1st pic. Close-up pic for reference. 

SuperC Cages.jpg