Trail recommendations for hilton/howick/PMB

HaydenWilson

Howzit All.

I recently moved to Hilton from Jhb and I am surrounded by new trails to ride! Its a brilliant problem to have.....

I have ridden in mountain homes, grace college trails, cascades and a little bit of the howick mtb trails from 11 karkloof.

The problem I have is that there is just so much trail around, but a lot of it is not in great nick and I don't know what links together in a logical way.

So I am looking for recommendations! I like riding fast flowy single track with medium sized jumps. I have found such at Cascades but would love to expand my area a bit. I would love to know which sections are to be recommended?

Also, does anyone know of any group rides with a similar focus to mine that I could tag along with?

If you're staying in Hilton swing past absolute motion and chat to Johan, we've been doing mostly gravel rides lately but they do a lot of mtb rides and they'd be happy for you to join group rides.

Otherwise just go to cascades, take your climbing legs and just explore and ride all the trails [emoji1787] just be careful if yoi find yourself on the new downhill track, you've been warned[emoji1787][emoji1787]

All the stuff in Hilton is pretty unmaintained or managed so it’s hit and miss on what is clear at any given moment.

Cascades is cool but I’m sure as you’ve realized is either up or down and very little in between.

I would suggest you check out Trailforks for Howick/Karkloof and then you can ride some stuff and get a feel for how it fits together. There’s a Karkloof whatsapp group that updates on trail clearing so if you can get on that it’s a useful way to stay updated.

Thanks for the input all!

Do you know how to get onto the watsapp group?

I checked out trailforks and it seems that everything at Karkloof is currently closed?

Thanks for the input all!

Do you know how to get onto the watsapp group?

I checked out trailforks and it seems that everything at Karkloof is currently closed?

Nope, karkloof is open...

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2020 at 7:37 PM, HaydenWilson said:

Howzit All.

I recently moved to Hilton from Jhb and I am surrounded by new trails to ride! Its a brilliant problem to have.....

I have ridden in mountain homes, grace college trails, cascades and a little bit of the howick mtb trails from 11 karkloof.

The problem I have is that there is just so much trail around, but a lot of it is not in great nick and I don't know what links together in a logical way.

So I am looking for recommendations! I like riding fast flowy single track with medium sized jumps. I have found such at Cascades but would love to expand my area a bit. I would love to know which sections are to be recommended?

Also, does anyone know of any group rides with a similar focus to mine that I could tag along with?

I know this is an old post, have you found a trail or club? You tried the karkloof club?

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2021 at 10:23 PM, arandre said:

I know this is an old post, have you found a trail or club? You tried the karkloof club?

I have not ridden with the club there per se, spent loads of time riding the trails out there tho. Ome really nice stuff on the 23km route!

I have also found some gems at cascades which has been really cool to ride.