Local Merino Clothing?

Dirt Tracker

Just been checking the latest Pink Bike Summer Gear guide and there are some pretty sweet jerseys in there. Two I spotted where Merino and that got me thinking, what local options are there? There is a massive Marino industry here but I see very little use in local mtb kit. I actually had to purchase some Swedish merino hoodies and kit from the UK recently in anticipation of winter and it’s awesome.

So back to the original thought, anyone making 3/4 jerseys or tees like Mons Royals here in SA?

Edited by Dirt Tracker

If there is, it would be interesting to see the price point.

I live in Mons Royale land, and don't get me wrong, they make some awesome gear and merino is a great fabric... but even here in New Zealand brands like Mons Royale and Ice Breaker are considered very expensive, and I don't buy it unless it goes on sale.

If there is, it would be interesting to see the price point.

I live in Mons Royale land, and don't get me wrong, they make some awesome gear and merino is a great fabric... but even here in New Zealand brands like Mons Royale and Ice Breaker are considered very expensive, and I don't buy it unless it goes on sale.

Look, it costs and actually NZ is the most I’ve ever paid for anything wooly (keep minds out of the gutter!). When it comes to wool there are guys punting 15% or less actual merino content for a hell of a price so for what you get and longevity of Mons it’s actually pretty decent.

I have a Mons Tee from 4 years back that is like new after serious wear and no stink!

Edited by Dirt Tracker

I have a Core base layer that I use on cold winter mornings. Only complaint would be that it is not very tight fitting, however it works well if not better than other cycling base layers 

Edited by warick_wrx

I have been trying to buy a top or two from core merino since the autumn, and while I haven’t checked in a week or two, they have been out of stock in most sizes for that entire time.

I bought from their factory shop. They are located in Port Elizabeth prices were decent at the time

Core merino seem reasonably priced and I do have a base layer from them and it is quite reasonable in performance.

I've bought lots from CoreMerino. excellent service and the garments are well made, comfortable and warm.

Only complaint is the fit isn't snug enough and I'm hesitant to try a bit of shrinkage on the garments.

Icebreaker is sold locally, The distributor is Adventure Inc (Ibis distributor).

Garments are cycling specific. 

for cycling specific:

Vintagevelos.com

pedaled.com

Quite like the merino stuff from PedalED, a Japanese brand.

https://pedaled.com/eu_en/#gref

They have some solid reviews and the clothing looks impressive as well. if only our Rand was stronger and we can get them locally....

Might be worth considering a group order to spread the import duty across many garments.

Might pick up some core kit if they have some sizes. Also looking at some of the Mons Royale kit in the UK as there are a fair few sales on and you'll get a nice jersey at an okay price. Just case of getting it here. 

I've got a few Icebreaker garments I bought in the Netherlands in 2001. still going strong. If you take care of it it will outlast you.

cool in summer warm in winter.

Just get the appropriate weight. 200gr/m2 is about right for SA conditions

Might pick up some core kit if they have some sizes. Also looking at some of the Mons Royale kit in the UK as there are a fair few sales on and you'll get a nice jersey at an okay price. Just case of getting it here. 

Maybe we could arrange an exchange  :ph34r: Where in Aus are you based?

If you see any Mons Royale stuff for sale in NZ, it should be easier and cheaper to ship from NZ to Aus than it would be from the UK to Aus.

Torpedo7 sometimes has their Mons Royale range on sale

https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/brand/mons_royale?formAction=search&searchString=BrandId:CU&sortOrder=Discount%3Adesc&savePrefs=false&pageSize=20

Edited by patches