Mozambique

I am looking to cycle from Maputo to Windhoek via Swazi/SA/Bots next year. Primarily I am looking for any info regarding the Maputo to Swazi stretch. Thanks

PM Lexx. He lives and works at the border between Moz and SA and knows the ins and outs of the area like his (literally) own backyard. Enjoy your incredible adventure and make a point of posting here on the BikeHub, with pictures and stories of your experience. Here's the link for Lexx.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/user/32956-lexx/

Edit: Sorry, seems 1st link didn't work

Edited by DJR

Just a suggestion, but I would say that if time and legs allow, to keep going through Windhoek to finish at Swakop. Coast to coast just has a ring to it, but yah, it won't be my bum on the saddle, so it's easy to say add a couple more kilometres. :)

Road of MTB (I assume a mutlisurface bike being the better tool for the job)

Are you currently in Maputo? 

Do you want to cut as straight as possible through the countries? Camping? BnB's?

While I was doing some work in Moz last yeas, I saw a dude with a loaded bike heading north. Looked like loads of fun. Maybe one day when I'm grown up and sans responsibility.

Road of MTB (I assume a mutlisurface bike being the better tool for the job)

Are you currently in Maputo?

Do you want to cut as straight as possible through the countries? Camping? BnB's?

While I was doing some work in Moz last yeas, I saw a dude with a loaded bike heading north. Looked like loads of fun. Maybe one day when I'm grown up and sans responsibility.

You could actually quite easily do that route on pretty good tar all the way, but a full on road race bike might not be the most comfortable stead.

Are you planning to camp at all? Will you be carrying gear to be able to camp, or is this going to be lodge/hotels etc all the way?

Just a suggestion, but I would say that if time and legs allow, to keep going through Windhoek to finish at Swakop. Coast to coast just has a ring to it, but yah, it won't be my bum on the saddle, so it's easy to say add a couple more kilometres. :)

After a ride like that, the extra 300odd km won't matter much, it's crossing over the spitzkoppe that kills you, even on the desert dash it's a killer on fresh legs

There was a post here a few months ago of a guy who was on more or less the same route who's bicycle and all his gear was taken from him if I remember correctly in Mphumalanga .

I am looking to cycle from Maputo to Windhoek via Swazi/SA/Bots next year. Primarily I am looking for any info regarding the Maputo to Swazi stretch. Thanks

From Maputo, head to Goba Fronteira (that will be along the EN2 towards Komatipoort, then take the EN3 left to Goba Fronteira). It's a stiff climb out off the plains onto the Lebombo's.

You'll cross into Eswatini via the Mhlumeni Border Post.

Once in Eswatini you'll head south down the MR7 to Siteki and then later link up with the MR16 to Big Bend where you'll pick up the MR8 to Lavumisa Border Post (RSA side is called Golela)

That'll be your route through Eswatini.

You'll then connect from Golela to the N2 where you'll turn left and head south

Anything else, let me know

Roads:

Mozambique - above route, not too bad, some trucks

Eswatini - also not too bad, people of Eswatini are chill so roads a re way safer than elswhere.

N2 - broad emergency lane mostly, however, it's heavily used as a second lane all the way to Durban

Second edit: I notice you say Bots

Then same route to Mhlumeni Border Post

Then MR7 to Siteki, MR16 to link with MR3 

MR3 to Manzini

MR3 Manzini to Mbabane

MR3 Mbabane to Oshoek Border Post

You better pack you're climbing legs for this route, some monster climbs from Manzini all the way to Oshoek!

Edited by Ed-Zulu

From Maputo, head to Goba Fronteira (that will be along the EN2 towards Komatipoort, then take the EN3 left to Goba Fronteira). It's a stiff climb out off the plains onto the Lebombo's.

You'll cross into Eswatini via the Mhlumeni Border Post.

Once in Eswatini you'll head south down the MR7 to Siteki and then later link up with the MR16 to Big Bend where you'll pick up the MR8 to Lavumisa Border Post (RSA side is called Golela)

That'll be your route through Eswatini.

You'll then connect from Golela to the N2 where you'll turn left and head south

Anything else, let me know

Up to Mhlumeni I agree with you, but why go to golela from there? To then ride up the N2?

Thats why it will be good to know what kind of bike the OP will be riding? There are many options through Swaziland, but a lot of them will be gravel (amazing, beautiful roads). Regardless of tar or gravel, I would not head to golela. You should target to exit swazi at either oshoek or down at bulembo (this would be my choice) and then continue through Barbeton, then up over the escarpment again in lydenberg/origstad area and then make your way through limpopo to the bots border. If You on a gravel or MTB, you could also choose to go from Machadodorp, all the way to loskop dam, via Dullstroom and tonteldoos almost entirely on quiet dirt roads.

Up to Mhlumeni I agree with you, but why go to golela from there? To then ride up the N2?

Thats why it will be good to know what kind of bike the OP will be riding? There are many options through Swaziland, but a lot of them will be gravel (amazing, beautiful roads). Regardless of tar or gravel, I would not head to golela. You should target to exit swazi at either oshoek or down at bulembo (this would be my choice) and then continue through Barbeton, then up over the escarpment again in lydenberg/origstad area and then make your way through limpopo to the bots border. If You on a gravel or MTB, you could also choose to go from Machadodorp, all the way to loskop dam, via Dullstroom and tonteldoos almost entirely on quiet dirt roads.

I rectified the route accordingly

Or you could head north, cross into southern Zim, Bulawayo, Vic Falls and down the Caprivi.

A lot more interesting than the N2 and that Kalahari Highway.

Right now I would agree except from Vic Falls head for Kasane Nata Gweta Maun.The Boteti is in Flood.From there Ghanzi Nam and then head south.Miss all that horrible stuff in South Africa except for the West Coast which is great

Right now I would agree except from Vic Falls head for Kasane Nata Gweta Maun.The Boteti is in Flood.From there Ghanzi Nam and then head south.Miss all that horrible stuff in South Africa except for the West Coast which is great

You could keep down the tar down the Caprivi, but I agree that trip through Maun and across northern Bots would be amazing.

Although, seriously, when I was last up there, we were driving back to Maun from the north, about 20km out of town, when a local guy on a bike stopped on the side of the road waved us down. There seem to be a bunch of animals lying in the road about 100m further up the road, couldn't quite figure out what they were at first, but we stopped for the guy and as we stopped, one of the animals stood up and we realised it was a pride of 14 lions. We popped his bike on top of roof and he jumped in, but quite what you do if you bump into 14 lions on a bike by yourself, I am not sure.

Edited by Baracuda