Cannondale Scalpel Sizing

Slowbee

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I am the odd one out then looking at all this.........

1.83 sitting on a medium Scalpel.  100mm stem, offset seatpost of around 15mm is think.

Works perfect.

Slowbee.........not sure where in the world you are these days but welcome to take the 'Dale out for a spin if you are in or near Pretoria.

Currently on a 2017 Spez camber medium. If just feels slightly too small. There is something about the reach that feels to upright.

So, I get hunting and apparently Spez make and evo which also has 120 mm of travel suited to marathon, with a bit of trail. But the price, no not so nice.

In come a scalpel, nice price, but it is a large.

The reach on a large is 442  (scalpel), but 427 on a camber.

So first off, comparing scalpel to camber, is that like granny smiths and golden delicious?

And is comparing medium and large ... like melons and lemons?

Just as an off chance, does anyone have a large camber that I could test for about 15 minutes ?

What about a scalepl for an afternoon round the block ride ?

Oh yes, before you ask, height is 1.73, and most folk say stick to a medium. Or maybe I am hoping for to much.

Hi Slowbee 

I had the exact same situation..M Camber and I'm 1.78 the camber always felt small. 

On a L Scalpel now and couldn't be happier. 

I would try and test ride one to be sure, geometries and bike fit are super personal these days. 

I don't think one can any longer say 'A Medium! or A Large!' as they are definitely no longer universal guides.

Now that we have access to all the numbers one can do easy comparisons to gauge whether a bike will 'fit better'.

When a shorty is buying a 'Large' bike, just make sure the seat tube/dropper and stand over is going to work. The rest is all just feel and preference.

I would say check seat tube length, stack and stand over, check if you and your kit is compatible and make a decision from there.

I say this because all the 'I'm 1.76 and..... unfortunately don't translate. I'm 1.75 but I have the inseam of a 6 year old child, so the stand over of a large gets up in my junk and is super uncomfortable.

I learned to ride with froome elbows to get me lower on the bike when I need it. As an indicator, road bike is a small 50cm, XCO bike is a small, hardcore hardtail is a medium and my gravel bike was a small (now a 1 size fits all).

I like smaller bikes and hate feeling slung out. 

Edited by Jewbacca

i'm 1.7m and ride a 2014 scalpel with a lefty that has been increased to 120mm to get around that version of the bike being twitchy.

Currently on a 2017 Spez camber medium. If just feels slightly too small. There is something about the reach that feels to upright.

So, I get hunting and apparently Spez make and evo which also has 120 mm of travel suited to marathon, with a bit of trail. But the price, no not so nice.

So first off, comparing scalpel to camber, is that like granny smiths and golden delicious?

Just as an off chance, does anyone have a large camber that I could test for about 15 minutes ?

Oh yes, before you ask, height is 1.73, and most folk say stick to a medium. Or maybe I am hoping for to much.

I very comfortably ride a Medium 2017 Scalpel. Love the fit, its perfect for me.

Had  Medium VIpa before this which was my fit but felt slightly smaller in handling and not as comfy.

I'm 175cm and a 72cm BB to top of saddle.

Scalpel Si sizing is on the smaller side when compared to a lot of LLS competitors.

My medium has a reach of 426mm

most smalls are now 415mm 

Most mediums are now 435mm to 450mm. The 2021 Scalpel is longer but still on the shorter end of the LLS scale due to the nature of east Coast trails that they design their bikes to perform best on.

so it's not so much a matter of throwing out the sizing categories you also need to look at the type of terrain a bike is optimised for.

I'm 1.8m - all my mtb's are Large while my road bikes are between 53cm (Pinarello) and 56cm sizes. I find the longer mtb gives stability when bombing down singletrack while the shorter road bikes are stiffer. personal likes I suppose.

So went down to rockhopper and had a brief ride around on a medium.

The first thing I noticed was I kept on wanting to move back on the seat. It is like I wanted the extra reach. Maybe a setback seat post might solve this issue.

I sat on the large and the reach just felt "lekka".

Ultimately, the best way to solve this is a two prong approach. First will be to contact the seller and ask who he uses to fit his bikes. Ask if we can go and see if we can get the large scalpel size to work for me.

The other (and more cost effective approach), is to take my camber to be fitted with a set back Thompson seatpost I have from my titus. This might just give me the reach I want.

Guess I am the odd one out then looking at all this.........

1.83 sitting on a medium Scalpel.  100mm stem, offset seatpost of around 15mm is think.

Works perfect.

Slowbee.........not sure where in the world you are these days but welcome to take the 'Dale out for a spin if you are in or near Pretoria.

Thanks Spidey. With me being in Somerset West it make a trip to PTA a bit far.

The first thing I noticed was I kept on wanting to move back on the seat. It is like I wanted the extra reach. Maybe a setback seat post might solve this issue.

Ultimately, the best way to solve this is a two prong approach. First will be to contact the seller and ask who he uses to fit his bikes. Ask if we can go and see if we can get the large scalpel size to work for me.

The other (and more cost effective approach), is to take my camber to be fitted with a set back Thompson seatpost I have from my titus. This might just give me the reach I want.

What length stem was on that large

you obviously had the same feeling as me when I sat on my large from rockhopper..

bought both my and wife's Scalpels from Corne 

If the bike you are looking at has a Lefty 2.0 I have a 70mm and a 50mm stem available, my wife is on the 50mm stem with the Large frame. 

Medium, no doubt about it

i'm 176 on a M scalpel 90mm stem and 20mm setback post.  that said, L scalpel with 90mm stem and straight post gives me the same riding fit and feel as my M.   go ride the bike and get a feel for it - you'll know immediately if the fit is off or right.   very well known mate of mine once said you can make a overside bike smaller not the other way around with too much success