Which Forwarding Service - Germany to SA

EddieV

I would like to order a few items from Starbike in Germany which isn't available in SA.

Starbike don't offer a courier service. DHL(Germany) is just the local postal service there, it enters normal international post once it leaves Germany. I’ve previously just endured the pain of micro-managing the process of moving the parcels through customs and SAPO with emails and calls.

I want to avoid SAPO/Capemail/EMS completely.

I’d like to test a forwarding service. Parcel delivery to your door.

I know I forgo my vat/tax discount when I use a Forwarding Service.

Which forwarding services have you used from Germany to SA? Was it easy enough? Was the courier cost worthwhile/feasible?

Edited by EddieV

I have used Amarex Global Shopper from Germany. But dont expect to be in a hurry. Apparently their JHB Branch was shut down last week due to covid case.

I have used Amarex Global Shopper from Germany. But dont expect to be in a hurry. Apparently their JHB Branch was shut down last week due to covid case.

Also, their service has been so appalling over the past few months, I would stay clear of them until they get their act together.

I would like to order a few items from Starbike in Germany which isn't available in SA.

Starbike don't offer a courier service. DHL(Germany) is just the local postal service there, it enters normal international post once it leaves Germany. I’ve previously just endured the pain of micro-managing the process of moving the parcels through customs and SAPO with emails and calls.

I want to avoid SAPO/Capemail/EMS completely.

I’d like to test a forwarding service. Parcel delivery to your door.

I know I forgo my vat/tax discount when I use a Forwarding Service.

Which forwarding services have you used from Germany to SA? Was it easy enough? Was the courier cost worthwhile/feasible?

I have bought a few things from Starbike over the years - I used DHL express so it's not with the post - Starbike were able to do this for me at an additional cost - otherwise you can arrange it from this end and organise with Starbike to have ready

It's a mission of sorts but worthwhile and you don't pay vat on the german side - you also don't have to wait a year to maybe get your parts

As an aside, half the time I don't end up paying anything on this end either but don't count on that part

Also, their service has been so appalling over the past few months, I would stay clear of them until they get their act together.

Agreed. Have only used them a few times, very hit and miss when it comes to their service. More miss though

• 1 month later...

I ended up using Aramex Global Shopper, all-in-all a good experience. Ordered on the 30th of July from Bike24, was delivered to AGS Germany on the 3rd of Aug, and delivered to my door on the 13th of Aug.

Had a bit of a panic as a previous purchase from the US was split into several packages, and thus exceeded my annual 3 shipments (now enforced by Customs). I had applied for an import permit earlier, but with the Covid-19 backlog nothing is moving on the permit application side either.

Anyway, got lucky, parcel went through although I exceeded allowed private (3) shipments/imports for the year.  ;)