Help a new cyclist out please

Hi all,

I need a little bit of help here.

I am new to cycling and have gone out for a total of 2 rides since I got my bike last week.

Now on these rides (both about 20km) I can't pedal consistently for more than a few minutes before I need to free wheel to 'catch my breath'. The pain in my quads burns like ****  which forces me to stop pedaling. From a cardio perspective, I am unfit, however when I look at my HR data from Garmin my AVG is about 100bpm, so clearly I could continue, but its just that burn that stops me.

I have been for a bike fit so I am confident that it is all setup fine.

Is it just a case of me needing to ride more and more to 'get through it' and it will become less, or is there potentially a problem here? It's just the HR data throwing me off, which is why I thought to get a few opinions here.

TIA

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I can suggest is to try pedal at a higher cadence. And even though you had a bike fit, your saddle might be too low. Get a second opinion if you can. 

If that doesn't help, you'll need to get fitter!

Enjoy.

Sounds a bit weird that your legs give in before your heart registers a spike. Might have to check whether the HR readings are correct by borrowing someone else's HR strap and seeing whether the readings correlate to your device.

Then in terms of approaching the rides. Maybe consider going a gear or two "lighter" when doing hills, rather spin those legs instead of grinding those pedals, this could provide some relief.

Welcome to the pain cave.

I reckon you need to get some more miles in those legs to start stressing about "doing it right". Your legs are not used to the stress of riding and your main muscle group is paying the taxes of riding. It does get better.

As for your HR, I am not sure if you are using a wrist based monitor or chest strap, but I find the latter to be more accurate. But then, if since riding is new, I'd focus more on just riding and not so much on HR zones. The rest will follow sooner than you think.

Happy miles. Many smiles.

On that 20km how long do you take to warm up your legs? I would do the first 5km at a very relaxed pace with a light gear to loosen up the legs a bit. 

From there is should get better. How much climbing are you doing? Are you tracking your rides with something like Endomondo or Strava to get some more stats? 

Actually I've found the most appropriate rule for this situation.

Rule 20 : There are only three remedies for pain.These are:

If your quads start to burn, shift forward to use your hamstrings and calves, or

If your calves or hamstrings start to burn, shift back to use your quads, or

If you feel wimpy and weak, meditate on Rule #5 and train more!

If the device is measuring your HR from your wrist, move the device slightly higher up your arm, above the bump at the end of your wrist, and fasten the strap fairly tightly. Apart from that I agree that you should engage the  easier gears and spin, rather than pedal against a firm resistance.

"Tan lines should be kept razer sharp"

Are you perhaps thinking of "rule 5 : harden the **** up." I felt it was a little harsh for a new rider.

I vaguely remember something about a gazebo or lost car keys. It's been a while. 

I would never "rule 5" a new rider. jeepers haha

Appreciate the feedback all, thanks a lot.

It is a wrist strap HR (Garmin fenix 5x)

I will follow with the sentiments here and gear down to spin a bit more. That and rule number 5 might not be the worst advice haha  :ph34r:

Edit: I suppose for the first few months I shouldn't worry about any stats really? Just go out and ride and take it all in. I mean if I don't necessarily worry about speed/distance for the beginning it should have any detrimental effects would it?

Edited by JuddMan

Echoing what's been said above. Sounds like your saddle may be too low or that you're grinding and not spinning.

Work on perceived effort more than HR too in the beginning.

Especially in the beginning, rather spin slightly faster than you're comfortable with in a too-easy gear than grind in a hard gear. That'll work your lungs more than your legs. To check yourself, count how many pedal revolutions you're doing in 10s. If its less than 13 you're spinning too slowly.

Also, 20km is solid if you're coming off of a nonexistent base. Don't be too hard on yourself, in the beginning your fitness ramps up quickly and you'll soon find yourself feeling much stronger and enjoying it more.

Edited by TyronLab

But on a more serious note. Since you have a proper HR device, focus on more frequent rides of at least an hour at a time and do not exceed zone 2. Do this for six weeks to build a base and you should start getting stronger (and faster) in no time. And before you know it, you'll be riding further in the hour slot.

Try do this at least 3 - 4 times per week. And rest. Rest days are important. You build strength while recovering as well.

Pretty soon you'll be in a spot where riding becomes a joy, not just a sore leg.