Thinking of buying a bike? Top tips from a pro

News bot

I think this clip sums up the evolution of entry into cycling very well. First timers should do mtbiking first, gain the confidence, move through the levels and then start with road cycling...or stay with mtbiking. Overall good summation.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminded me of the time I took a guy to Wolwespruit, the black diamond section. I said, it can’t be that bad, so we went. 3 seconds later I heard a noise. He went over the bars, into a bush and broke his handlebar in half ???? Felt soooo bad. But had to stop myself from laughing.

Nothing wrong with the flat pedals. That is about the only thing I agree with in that article.

Agree 100% with that, very practical. 

The contrast is that it is suggested you need R2k Oakleys and a R200 water bottle

Agree 100% with that, very practical. 

The contrast is that it is suggested you need R2k Oakleys and a R200 water bottle

I got that.

Unfortunately they used a stock photo of him with no gloves and a bog std bidon.

If i was to splash out anywhere for a beginner, a decent multitool would be my suggestion.

there's also two types of beginners:

the CEO SWorks crowd and those on a budget who can't (yet) see why a pair of socks should cost R135 just because they are for cycling. This article seems to be aimed at the latter, but has suggestions mainly for the former.

I got that.

Unfortunately they used a stock photo of him with no gloves and a bog std bidon.

If i was to splash out anywhere for a beginner, a decent multitool would be my suggestion.

there's also two types of beginners:

the CEO SWorks crowd and those on a budget who can't (yet) see why a pair of socks should cost R135 just because they are for cycling. This article seems to be aimed at the latter, but has suggestions mainly for the former.

After 10 years of cycling I still can't see it. Maybe for 5 or 6 hour rides. I get home from work, change into my cycling kit and leave my work socks on. Absolutely perfect for 2 to 3 hours. And they are PnP clothing socks. Nothing fancy.

After 10 years of cycling I still can't see it. Maybe for 5 or 6 hour rides. I get home from work, change into my cycling kit and leave my work socks on. Absolutely perfect for 2 to 3 hours. And they are PnP clothing socks. Nothing fancy.

No man bud

Daai pote moet honk teen die tyd wanneer jy daai sokkies uittrek

No man bud

Daai pote moet honk teen die tyd wanneer jy daai sokkies uittrek

so, they're just going to get smellier on the bike. When I excercise I sweat buckets.

Advice from a non-pro.

Get a bike (in the right size), get a helmet and ride.

You will figure out your preferences as you go along.

I borrowed a bike from a friend for a couple of rides .... then bought a secondhand bike ..... miles of smiles !!!

The new bike came much later

And the R800 DArcs came many years later ...

Still have not spent more than R100 on a water bottle ...

I have a pair of Spez Merino socks which cost R320. They are *amazing*, but I honestly can't justify owning more than one pair...

Actually, let me quickly tally my usual riding outfit at current retail value for ****s and giggles:

• SWAT mountain liner bib: R1250
  • Atlas Pro shorts: R1700
  • Merino jersey: R900
  • Merino socks: R320
  • 2FO Cliplite shoes: R4000
  • Ambush helmet with ANGI: R3000
  • Grail LF gloves: R690
  • Oakley Sutro glasses: R1700
  • Camelbak Podium Dirt bottle: R200

Yikes...  :eek:

Edited by LazyEnduroRider

I have a pair of Spez Merino socks which cost R320. They are *amazing*, but I honestly can't justify owning more than one pair...

Do you turn them inside out if you have two rides on a weekend?