Thinking of buying a bike? Top tips from a pro

News bot

The managers of the other brands?

Too late for that, Specialized got the market share, now the rest are playing catch up.

Specialized made it easy to go to a single store, buy your bike, helmet, shoes, gloves, socks, water bottles, t-shirt for post rides, a hoodie for the colder days, etc. all within the same brand, so you never felt like you were having an identity crisis when wearing a Cannondale shirt while riding a Specialized bike. Other stores would have carried a variety of brand options, but none could offer such a comprehensive range of cycling goods/products/apparel within the same brand as the concept and elite stores could.

You ride a Specialized don’t you?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too late for that, Specialized got the market share, now the rest are playing catch up.

Specialized made it easy to go to a single store, buy your bike, helmet, shoes, gloves, socks, water bottles, t-shirt for post rides, a hoodie for the colder days, etc. all within the same brand, so you never felt like you were having an identity crisis when wearing a Cannondale shirt while riding a Specialized bike. Other stores would have carried a variety of brand options, but none could offer such a comprehensive range of cycling goods/products/apparel within the same brand as the concept and elite stores could.

Daaaamn. When did you stop drinking the a Coolaid and start swimming in it?

I borrowed a bike from a friend for a couple of rides .... then bought a secondhand bike ..... miles of smiles !!!

The new bike came much later

And the R800 DArcs came many years later ...

Still have not spent more than R100 on a water bottle ...

Never bought a water bottle. I use the freebees that get handed out at the events

Come on Patch please make my day and tell me you've owned a TT/ Z3or4 or Mini.

A wannabee mini ... or the real 1275E 1986 type MINI ?

Now THAT is testimony to "steel is real" ....

No substitute for a real classic ....

Uhm sorry, what were we talking about ?

Never bought a water bottle. I use the freebees that get handed out at the events

Think I have bought 2 water bottels .... to colour code the kit ...

All others were given for free.

People must really have a serious issue with Specialized to drag their socks into this debate. WOW.

People should give credit where it's due - Specialized got a big chink of the market because they got good distribution channels in the country before the cycling explosion. It's not their fault Trek, Giant, Scott, Cannondale etc did not build proper distribution channels. These brands had the bikes, clothing and accessories. Their bikes were easy to get hold of, the rest, not so easy.

Ominco and Dragon sports (Giant) certainly did / have good channels .... it is just that the big S knocked out many a LBS from having their brand and then centralised it to a large extent to improve their foot print, this after many of the shops supported them for a long time and helped build the brand in SA.

Edit: I do not disagree they have good products though.

Edited by Hairy

People must really have a serious issue with Specialized to drag their socks into this debate. WOW.

People should give credit where it's due - Specialized got a big chink of the market because they got good distribution channels in the country before the cycling explosion. It's not their fault Trek, Giant, Scott, Cannondale etc did not build proper distribution channels. These brands had the bikes, clothing and accessories. Their bikes were easy to get hold of, the rest, not so easy.

Ominco and Dragon sports (Giant) certainly did / have good channels .... it is just that the big S knocked out many a LBS from having their brand and then centralised it to a large extent to improve their foot print, this after many of the shops supported them for a long time and helped build the brand in SA.

Edit: I do not disagree they have good products though.

A new move by Spaz

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/specialized-equipment-is-now-available-on-backcountry-and-competitivecyclistcom.html

“Let’s do a Promo Article as part of our marketing strategy”, says one JaSure exec. “Well, there is a bit of a global bike boom due to the Pandemic, so let do a “How to get into Cycling” one”, says another.

”Great Idea, but to get the ultimate traction, let’s do a bad one, that can lead to 50+ comments and days on top of the active comments list”. “And makes sure somewhere we drop something about Specialized in the comments, that will keep things going a bit longer.”

And so we all fall for it. Fun times to be had though. 
:clap: 
PS. Why is cycling gloves in particular so expensive. Pound 4 Pound in my book, the most expensive general bike item

Edited by daniemare

“Let’s do a Promo Article as part of our marketing strategy”, says one JaSure exec. “Well, there is a bit of a global bike boom due to the Pandemic, so let do a “How to get into Cycling” one”, says another.

”Great Idea, but to get the ultimate traction, let’s do a bad one, that can lead to 50+ comments and days on top of the active comments list”. “And makes sure somewhere we drop something about Specialized in the comments, that will keep things going a bit longer.”

And so we all fall for it. Fun times to be had though. 

:clap: 

PS. Why is cycling gloves in particular so expensive. Pound 4 Pound in my book, the most expensive general bike item

mate of mine buys sailing gloves. they're also not cheap, but last forever

Beginner rides are usually short. 

Anything under 40km you don't need gloves, sunglasses or cycling shorts.

A good multi tool, tubeless repair kit definitely.

Bottles and socks? Is it just me who has managed to get through the last decade with free bottles and socks from mtb races with the off pair of socks for a birthday to supplement? 

Beginner rides are usually short. 

Anything under 40km you don't need gloves, sunglasses or cycling shorts.

A good multi tool, tubeless repair kit definitely.

Bottles and socks? Is it just me who has managed to get through the last decade with free bottles and socks from mtb races with the off pair of socks for a birthday to supplement? 

not when you're a beginner, your body is not used to it when you start out.

because cycling

mate of mine buys sailing gloves. they're also not cheap, but last forever

I have found MX gloves to be a really good fit, nice and thin and tough as nails .... oh, they are also generally exceptionally well priced.