Formula Cura 2 vs Hope Tech 3 X2

Mtb2009

Hi guys,

Could you someone please advise their long term review with either the Formula Cura 2 or Hope Tech 3 X2?

Which one would be the best to go for?

Regards,

post-10268-0-05080900-1594191090_thumb.png

post-10268-0-59715800-1594191171_thumb.png

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you looking for in a brake? They're not exactly comparing apples.

Hopes aren't very powerful even in their e4 guise, the x2 will be even less. The curas are crazy strong stoppers, but their levers have a moto feel to it, and if you're used to Guides/Codes, they can feel too big. Not sure about maintenance on them, but it's one of Hope's strong points - something you'll appreciate if you're coming from Shimano brakes.

Lets put it this way .....both are fantastic products.

You can't go wrong with either.

AS for Hope, I have a set of Mono Mini Carbon from 2006/7. They are still working reliably. I replace the brake fluid once a year and seals have been replaced once in the decade and a half of use. I tried a set of Cura on a demo bike for a week and I really liked the lever feel, the lack of brake rub , and the ability to modulate the clamping force that ramps up progressively. I'm keen to own a set. Wouldn't mind the Hope's either.

Hope wins the bling factor

Cura wins the budget factor

Hope for me too. 

Running the Tech 3 V4 for the past 8 years and they've been bulletproof. Best part is the design has not changed in all that time. Uses DOT brake fluid and parts are super easy to find. The importers carry just about everything you need. 

Formula has been around forever and they know their stuff but the mineral oil part completely puts me off. 

I haven't owned Hopes, so can't really compare the two.

I do have a set of Cura 2s. They are quite simply amazing. I am a very heavy guy, and they stop me easily on very steep trails. In comparison to other brakes I have used they offer great stopping power, good modulation, and a nice lever feel.

The gap between the pads is small, so your alignment needs to be spot on otherwise your rotors will rub. In terms of maintenance the Curas are simple, spares are available in SA, and in my experience they don't need bleeding very often. Stick to using Formula metallic pads - they last long. 

If you are looking at Hope brakes they are gonna be expensive, so for that sort of money I'd buy Cura 4s. I can't imagine the Hopes will come close to the Cura 4s in terms of performance.

If you are looking at Hope brakes they are gonna be expensive, so for that sort of money I'd buy Cura 4s. I can't imagine the Hopes will come close to the Cura 4s in terms of performance.

I've not owned Cura's but I have ridden them. I've owned 3 sets of Hope brakes.

My mate has a pair of Cura 2's on his DH bike. I had a run on the bike in France and I was shocked at the stopping power of them. Even on long alpine descents. No fade. Immense power. I've never ridden more powerful brakes. And that includes Shimano Saint, Hope V2 and Hope M4's. Of course at the time I chose to buy TRP Slates which are 100% total crap.

If I was in the market for aftermarket brakes my shopping list would have Cura 2 at the top of the list.

The Cura 4's must be like riding into a wall every time you pull the lever.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I have the Cura 2's and have been using them for about 2 years now. Previously used XTR's. The stopping ability on the Cura's is awesome. I think the modulation on them sits between shimano and sram which for me is spot on. 

However there are two aspects that annoy me. Firstly pad clearance is close to zero and as such can make setting up for a rub free (sounds weird) experience can be tricky. You have to be pretty methodical and precise when tightening the caliper bolts. It is possible and mine run rub free but they are tricky. I also have this annoying squeak when braking lightly on the front brake using the OEM organic pads. Im also running the OEM rotors. I've sanded them down, cleaned the rotor with alcohol and even rotated the rotor but for some reason or other it still comes back. I have a set of Jagwire pads that I will give a go once these ones are done. Hopefully it improves. 

Bang for buck very tough to beat them but they are a bit finicky. 

Edited by Zula

I would suggest you will never test the limits of either.

The beauty of comparing 'top end' products with a proven track record is that we know they both work. The 'which is best' usually comes down to personal preference and bias.

Comparing low end or 'budget' kit usually gets more interesting as some things do work and others simply don't.

IMHO get the Formula brakes.

They are unbelievable. I also have 2 mates who have blown through X2 piston seals more frequently than Vegans tell you they are Vegan.

Slightly off topic, but I am buying a set of Cura 2 brakes and was wondering if it is worth spending more money for the Formula two piece disc (with the spider) or just stick to the cheaper solid one piece? 

Hope for me too. 

Running the Tech 3 V4 for the past 8 years and they've been bulletproof. Best part is the design has not changed in all that time. Uses DOT brake fluid and parts are super easy to find. The importers carry just about everything you need. 

Formula has been around forever and they know their stuff but the mineral oil part completely puts me off. 

Interesting that the mineral oil would put you off. For most people who know the difference, they prefer mineral as it's non corrosive and better for the environment.

If you're wondering whether mineral oil will fade due to lower boiling point - just refer to Duane Bosch's post above. Karl Ebel is both a big and [very] fast DH rider and experienced no fade while riding in the Alps!

Each to their own though! 

Interesting that the mineral oil would put you off. For most people who know the difference, they prefer mineral as it's non corrosive and better for the environment.

If you're wondering whether mineral oil will fade due to lower boiling point - just refer to Duane Bosch's post above. Karl Ebel is both a big and [very] fast DH rider and experienced no fade while riding in the Alps!

Each to their own though! 

Preference has nothing to do with performance of one vs the other. I also know the difference yet I prefer DOT.  Ultimately I base my preference of many years of racing downhill as well as other disciplines, and also being a mechanic on various bikes.

I love the freedom of choice.