Garmin expands solar charging technology to multisport smartwatches

News bot

Garmin today announced the expansion of its solar charging technology to its Instinct, fēnix 6 and 6S and tactix Delta adventure and multisport smartwatches. Building on the success of Garmin’s the first solar charging multisport watch, the fēnix 6X - Pro Solar, these new solar editions allow customers to “Do What They Love Longer” through significantly increased battery life and new purpose-built functionality including surf, mountain biking and climbing activities.

Click here to view the article

LOL. R20k for a Garmin watch.

Suppose the Garmin fanbois are going to go bef0k for these.  And it's winter, you can rock your K-Way puffer with it too.  :clap:  "it's a look. it's a lifestyle."

I know the rand took a dive and that messed up the pricing on everything. But I just cant see how they expect to move these items at this price. 

Its mental to spend that on a digital sports watch, seriously. Pretty soon you will have the option to finanace these devices too......I cant see how else they plan to move them.

Before I spend 20k on a garmin watch, I will rather save another 5 and buy a Tag Carrera, that I will still hand down to my grandchildren one day.....

PS; I love garmin products, and own a few, but wont be upgrading anytime soon

I know the rand took a dive and that messed up the pricing on everything. But I just cant see how they expect to move these items at this price. 

Its mental to spend that on a digital sports watch, seriously. Pretty soon you will have the option to finanace these devices too......I cant see how else they plan to move them.

Before I spend 20k on a garmin watch, I will rather save another 5 and buy a Tag Carrera, that I will still hand down to my grandchildren one day.....

Let me know if you can find a Carrera for R25k... Cheapest 2nd hand in a good condition is probably R45k+

But I agree with your principle!!!

Tell a non cyclist that a top of the range MTB cost R150k and he will also think you joking.

So R20k for the top of the range sports watch is probably OK for some.

Not for me, R20k for any watch is nutters in my world.

The sad part it they will sell at that price

The extra battery life made possible by the solar option is probably not worth the coin however it’s great to see Garmin expanding that tech. It will become cheaper and better.

I’m looking at these upgrades and I’m wondering what would make me consider upgrading my Fenix 3 HR. Mobile payments is already available and could be very handy but I’ll seriously consider upgrading once they include InReach (or possibly cellular capabilities). That would make it really good in case of emergencies.

I bought my Instinct literally a week before these were launched. I was irritated at first, but now that I've seen the pricing, I'm relieved.