Cycling computer or gps watch

mrJohan

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started with a watch ... found it dangerous trying to read data of a watch screen while cycling ....

Computer mounted on the bars are just so much easier, and thus SAFER ...

Only advantage of a watch ... step counter, noting your daily hart rate patterns ...

Have also been pondering this lately.. If I find a nice Edge 130 (or similar) special I'll jump on that. How often do they roll around?

Started off with a watch and then got a 130 (great little device!). The watch and cycling aren't a good combo; although a watch is more versatile - hiking, running, walking, treadmill, stationary bike etc.

I have both, the Edge units are so much more customization, I don't think there is a watch that can pair with any power meters(if you gonna add one later), if you can afford it, get both, watch for running and counting steps and record all nonsense during the day, including sleep at night and the unit for cycling.

I have both. 

Edited by Dexter-morgan

As Dexter. When I semi-stopped cycling and focussed on running, I used fenix for years, even when returning more to cycling. And recently added an Edge back on the bars.

A good couple of years of riding with the fenix did not do harm. But between eyesight and quick glimpse on a piece of singletrack I more often than not of late had no idea what I was supposed to have seen... And it's sort-of tricky to change between screens.

Edit: And before somebody chirps me on the last sentence - my watch is on my right arm, so the buttons are pressed up against my wrist. May be different for others...

Edited by SeaBee

Sunnto pairs with most power meters from what I have heard.

My 2c is get a watch, you can cycle with a watch on your bars but running with an edge is a pain.

I started and still uses my Edge 500, but I also have a Forerunner 45. The FR is my primary recorder because I started to develop problems with the HR strap. There is a large opinion base on the internet about the accuracy of the watch compared to the belt, but as an indicator/recorder my FR 45 is more than enough. Who cares if my HR is 5 beats out in some spots! It shows a trend and if I train frequently, I will quickly distinguish between normal and abnormal HR behavior.

For me, just because I have had one since 2010, I am using  Edge as the speedo. Nice to have only and definitely not critically important. I do not check my watch while out riding! Why would you want to do that. Are you riding or what? I check my data when I am done riding, on the couch, with a recovery drink nearby. There is enough time and plenty of safety to do it like this.

I’d say get both.

Also started out with a Fenix2 for a few years as I used it for running, riding, hiking, paddling.

It’s my everyday watch so got tired of taking it on and off when I wanted to mount it to the bars.

Battery life was also getting wrecked with 4-5 hour rides so was constantly charging it which was a pain.

Now I ride with an 810 and use the Fenix for everything else. So much better.

If can hijack a little from the OP,

I have a Garmin Fenix 5x currently that I use for cycling, but have also been debating with getting and Edge of sorts. Let's say I get an Edge 130, can the 2 devices pair together? where the watch acts as a HR monitor and the Edge for all the other data? And further, will the Edge use the same Garmin connect app (i.e. all data displayed on the same app)?

If can hijack a little from the OP,

I have a Garmin Fenix 5x currently that I use for cycling, but have also been debating with getting and Edge of sorts. Let's say I get an Edge 130, can the 2 devices pair together? where the watch acts as a HR monitor and the Edge for all the other data? And further, will the Edge use the same Garmin connect app (i.e. all data displayed on the same app)?

Yes you can, take a look at the extended display feature https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge130/EN-US/GUID-9EA2F9B3-505B-451B-B032-0C97493C6DBF.html