Starter Bike

F1 Fan

Hi,

So I need to buy a mountain bike for daily rides with my 5 year old son. I currently have a Schwinn, which was bought like 15 years when I was a teenager, and it's still going strong. My wife uses this, and I want to get something for myself. I mainly take him on the road for 2-3kms or to parks. I want something that is reasonably light but don't need anything fancy. I thought of a road bike, but I tend to jump pavements when I'm with him for safety reasons.

What go you suggest? I see there are Giant and Schwinn Mesa bikes for R3000. Which brand model should I aim for?

I'm afraid your budget is about as old fashioned as your 15 year old Schwinn. You'll struggle to get a mountain bike in that price range. I'd look at Titan as a good value for money brand. Here's the cheapest one I could find but be warned they will have cut some corners - https://bike-addict.co.za/collections/titan-29er/products/titan-rogue-alpine-2020 For cruising along with your son I'd say you don't even need a geared bike but a single speed mountain bike is kind of a custom job that you are unlikely to pick up in a store and single speed road bike like a "simple sam" or a "rook" you've already ruled out.

Also be aware all mountain bikes are gateway drugs. You'll never be satisfied with your first one. Prepare to be sucked in. Its not a cheap sport. I told my wife I could be out gambling or buying drugs on street corners. My only vice is mountain biking. We still argue about what the sport costs. She's of the opinion that its a luxury. I keep trying to explain to her that its this or a therapist and the therapist would probably cost a lot more. My current bike's frame (and its a hardtail) cost R6500 on sale on its own (no wheels, no fork, no drivetrain, not even bearings in the headset or bottom bracket). I carry parts over between bikes so I don't have to buy everything at once. If you choose wisely you can carry things forward, still its complicated because of the shifting sands of varying standards so certainly not a beginner pursuit.

Anyway I'm rambling but those are my thoughts. I'm sure others here have more informed opinions but you'll probably find the sensible minds are all sleeping right now. I'll be up for a couple of hours still I'm sure.

Bought my 2 lighties a Surge Slingshot each. Decent bikes for R5k. 24spd with hidraulic brakes.

For 2-3km rides with your kids you will easily pick up something in your price range.

With some luck, you could even pick up a brand new Avalanche. Do some googlimg and you will find something.

If not, there are plenty of used bikes that would work for you.

The Schwinn Mesa and Giant (probably a Boulder) you spoke of would be perfect. Just make sure size is right.

I wouldn't worry about weight. The type of rides you will be doing, weight will have a minimal effect, unless you get more into the sport and start doing longer distances and hills

Edited by Eugene

Thanks all. Highly unlikely that I will take up mountain biking as a sport. If my son gets into riding when he older, I'll switch to a road bike. So don't really want to be spending 5-6k if I don't need to. Also don't want something that needs lots of maintenance. A yearly service would be great. And remember if I'm happy with a 15 year old bike, you get an idea of how low my standards are.

I just had a look at my Schwinn and I actually have a Mesa with SR Suntour CC shocks. Would a current Mesa be comparable with that?

So I have to look out for Titan, Giant, Schwinn and Avalanche (thought they were like a lesser brand). Raleigh out?

Thanks all. Highly unlikely that I will take up mountain biking as a sport. If my son gets into riding when he older, I'll switch to a road bike. So don't really want to be spending 5-6k if I don't need to. Also don't want something that needs lots of maintenance. A yearly service would be great. And remember if I'm happy with a 15 year old bike, you get an idea of how low my standards are.

I just had a look at my Schwinn and I actually have a Mesa with SR Suntour CC shocks. Would a current Mesa be comparable with that?

So I have to look out for Titan, Giant, Schwinn and Avalanche (thought they were like a lesser brand). Raleigh out?

Avalanche is a more entry level brand but will tick the boxes for what you want and will be cheaper. Let's call it the best of the entry brands

Raleigh is not what it used to be and is way below the other brands you mentioned. You can pick them up at Game and Makro, but they won't last long. You'll be spending more on maintenance. Axis is basically the new Raleigh.

Depending which model of Mesa you buy (they have different spec levels), but generally they'll be comparible to yours, just 29in wheels.

Going to measure my bike. I'm short, 168cm, so I'm sure it is a 26er

Wheel size and height have nothing to do with each other. Yours will be 26inch if it's 15 years old. Most modern bikes are 29inch. Even at your height, you will get a frame size to fit with 29inch wheels

I have been riding with my godson since he was 5 years old ... he has just turned 9.

The SPUR MTB series is brilliant for the youngsters.

MANY dads out there riding with their youngsters on very old and very basic bikes. It is about time with the kid, not about the spec level ... well it is for many of the parents.

ENJOY it. All too soon they gain speed ... but by then you know if it is a phase or if they want to ride more ....

They grow out of their bikes very quickly !! Lots of second hand bikes available ????