Marathon bike for stage races - around 40k

Rich20

Hi all. I’m looking for some advice on buying a 29 dual suspension XC/marathon bike. I currently have a Scott scale 960 (2017) and want to upgrade. I plan on doing some stage races like sani2c. Mostly want to compete for the enjoyment and experience but tend to get quite competitive. Looking to spend around 40k and happy to go second hand. Any advice would be helpful and please can you be specific in terms of year and components etc.

thanks so much!

Hi all. I’m looking for some advice on buying a 29 dual suspension XC/marathon bike. I currently have a Scott scale 960 (2017) and want to upgrade. I plan on doing some stage races like sani2c. Mostly want to compete for the enjoyment and experience but tend to get quite competitive. Looking to spend around 40k and happy to go second hand. Any advice would be helpful and please can you be specific in terms of year and components etc.

thanks so much!

A friend has a Santa Cruz Tallboy in M for less available.

Wapp me and I will put you in touch

Arno

Zero833959038

Looking at the classifieds, there a quite a few Scalpel si bikes up for grabs for cheap

The best option maintenance wise is one with a fox manual lockout shock on the rear

Front can be manual or remote but stay away from the ones with the dual lockout for front and rear they throw up problems non stop

Otherwise maybe look at the Merida 120

Scott Spark (120mm version) 2017 model or later. Very capable, very versatile and well supported locally. I'd look at a 940 model or higher up in the range

Edited by the_bob

You might with a bit of luck be able to find a decent Trek 9.8 SL 2018 model for that money or a shade more. It's proper a marathon race bike. Fitted with Conti Race Kings its very fast and it also climbs like a goat with that ReAktiv shock.

Looking at the classifieds, there a quite a few Scalpel si bikes up for grabs for cheap

The best option maintenance wise is one with a fox manual lockout shock on the rear

Front can be manual or remote but stay away from the ones with the dual lockout for front and rear they throw up problems non stop

Otherwise maybe look at the Merida 120

Eeerrmm let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here. The dual poploc is easily replaced with two separate single poploc switches and problem solved.

The RS Monarch is cheaper to maintain.

the Kashima coated fox dps units might be more tolerant of extended hours beyond the 50hr airsleeve service interval but more expensive to replace when the coating starts peeling. The Fox Dps performance is more than adequate and gives up nothing is performance.

my Monarch has a high volume air can that balances the feel of the bike a lot better than the std monarch or the fox

Have you considered getting yourself another frame and transferring the parts from the Scott? Yea, there's some stuff to keep in mind but I think it will work for the most part  

thanks so much!

Used scalpel Si 3 or 2.

Honestly, even though they are great bikes and I have one, knowing what I know now I won't ever buy one again.  Pretty much half of the components that needs servicing or replacement at some point (or even warrant upgrade at some point) is proprietary.  Even though this may not be a mission money-wise necessarily, it is a mission sometimes finding parts from the sole supplier in RSA... the big O.

Never again...

Edited by Myth

Check out the Titan Cypher elite or Silver stratos al1

+1  good value for money bikes

Edited by BuffsVintageBikes

Check out the Titan Cypher elite or Silver stratos al1

Can echoe this, plus you're getting a new bike with a clear serviceable baseline, decently specced and with up to date standards plus warranty. Rides like the clappers.

A friend has a Santa Cruz Tallboy in M for less available.

Wapp me and I will put you in touch

Arno

Zero833959038

Do you have friends with Scalpels ... :ph34r: