Buyer Beware - ASG "Specials" False Stock Levels

PygaSchmyga

ASG Events (separate company) that hosted 9 different events (Tour of Good Hope, Jock, etc) have been completely closed down and all staff retrenched, 

For all their numerous mistakes they were the only guys in SA  that had a go at organising proper road race stage races accessible to non-CEO amateurs - for that part I am sad and thankful for a number of great memories.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn’t say false advertising, you said bad service. Now that is clarified, I agree COVID is not an excuse for blatant false advertising.

The first is a subset of the second. But to me it comes down to intent. ie: Have the stock numbers always (and intentionally) been dodgy in a attempt to lure you in, or are they just the result of battling to keep an accurate representation of inventory due to the current pandemic. 

You didn’t say false advertising, you said bad service. Now that is clarified, I agree COVID is not an excuse for blatant false advertising.

What false advertising? That’s a pretty strong accusation, so if you have specific examples that they intentionally did this, the ASA should be notified.

I think you missed the very first post. If you advertise something as in stock, and it's not, then its false advertising.

I have been burnt several times by ASG and their low/no stock situation.

Either it is a marketing ploy or the super sales that they do tend to be older stock where sizes etc are limited.

I also landed some good deals but got disappointed a few times. Kinda the way life generally is I guess.

hipster salt .... who even buys this ... and I did not know you could grow a beard to qualify as hipster

seriously .... you keep tomatoe sauce long enough that it goes past the sell by date ... eat the bloody stuff already!

Usually I do but there was this one time...

Must admit, through the years i have bought bags, shoes, helmets and never had an issue with ASG not supplying or delivering.  Perhaps I have just been lucky.

Edit: The only issue is the vouchers you often get when doing their races you can only redeem in store rather than online

Edited by shaper

I'm trying to think of a instance where a company responded to a bikehub post and it ended good for them

Can't seem to think of one

When my kickr died three weeks ago, Wahoo responded to my Bikehub post and later sent me a PM where we sorted the matter out and I got mine replaced virtually straight out of the container as they opened it.

Result 10/10

Ps.

At the 2018 Jock  my RD packed up on the ride to the start. I took it to the ASG mechanic, but he could not fix it in the available time. 

Unasked, someone from ASG took the Pinarello Dogma f10 on display, fitted my pedals, and told me they'd sort out my skedonk bike during the course of the ride and I was welcome to ride the Dogma. I found it a lovely bike (albeit slow up the hills) :whistling: 

Result 10/10

Fantastic gesture offering you the F10 for the day.

That said, perhaps they'd prefer to be known for their consistently good service rather than the occasional gesture.?

For those waiting for bibs, and other items, word from ASG is that their shipment is in ZA pending release from customs.

I hope that means i'm getting that bib next week some time. It's only been 2 months.

For those waiting for bibs, and other items, word from ASG is that their shipment is in ZA pending release from customs.

I hope that means i'm getting that bib next week some time. It's only been 2 months.

Don't hold your breathe... most online stores have been saying that for the last 2 months.

In fairness, the holdup at the harbour and customs have become so bad that its impact on the building industry was noted in the newspapers last week.

On some of our projects some imported items are now estimated to take 12+ weeks before arrival, items which previously was readily available ....

Getting items into SA is a problem on its own at the moment.

Getting it through customs is an age old problem, and most likely worse now ....

Couriers from there is currently a hit and miss business ....  Couriers that I have used for the last decade are really struggling to keep up at the moment !!

may take a "while" before availability and delivery gets back to reasonable levels .... 

In fairness, the holdup at the harbour and customs have become so bad that its impact on the building industry was noted in the newspapers last week.

On some of our projects some imported items are now estimated to take 12+ weeks before arrival, items which previously was readily available ....

Getting items into SA is a problem on its own at the moment.

Getting it through customs is an age old problem, and most likely worse now ....

Couriers from there is currently a hit and miss business ....  Couriers that I have used for the last decade are really struggling to keep up at the moment !!

may take a "while" before availability and delivery gets back to reasonable levels .... 

What I couldn't understand is how a friend of mine at work ordered one of those half-bike bicycle trailers for his kid two weeks ago on Chain Reaction Cycles and it was delivered to his door within 6 days?!

I was astounded when he sent me the video of him riding with the thing.

Maybe there are substantial different work-streams for containers that need to clear at the harbour vs a single package(albeit substantial in size) that is handled by a dedicated courier.

Don't hold your breathe... most online stores have been saying that for the last 2 months.

i was shown the tracking details. It's in PTA. Clearance hold was initiated today.

How long it takes from there to my doorstep remains to be seen.

Edited by Capricorn

i was shown the tracking details. It's in PTA. Clearance hold was initiated today.

How long it takes from there to my doorstep remains to be seen.

I had the same issue, was shown tracking details from the courier indicating that my parcel shipped from the UK was in JHB at the depot. Went to collect it myself only to find that the parcel is in actual fact in Kenya. Have no idea what the pilot was doing there. Paperwork for the parcel is in JHB but the parcel is still in Kenya.  :wacko:

Edited by slickjay007

What I couldn't understand is how a friend of mine at work ordered one of those half-bike bicycle trailers for his kid two weeks ago on Chain Reaction Cycles and it was delivered to his door within 6 days?!

I was astounded when he sent me the video of him riding with the thing.

Maybe there are substantial different work-streams for containers that need to clear at the harbour vs a single package(albeit substantial in size) that is handled by a dedicated courier.

Got a replacement road bike frame into SA faster than a LBS could get one in via a distributor....

I think the issue is volume. far quicker to clear a single item than to clear a container or two