Wheels, Workshops and Wood.

patches

So whilst this thread isn't strictly cycling related. It's also not-not cycling related.

I think in general, cycling enthusiasts have a strain of DIY-DNA in them, which triggers the tendency to tinker with things. This Tinkering tendency, if not treated, can develop into an all out side obsession.

This can exhibit itself as amateur artisan-ship.

So here's a thread to post about your workshops, projects, shiny new tools, tips-and tricks, and any anecdotes you may have relating to the matter.

Edited by patches

I'll start.

The "Workshop":

post-10758-0-40620700-1594676160_thumb.jpg

The humble little garage, which I relined with ply, drilled 100's of in to hang stuff from, and then crammed everything I can into it. Sadly at the moment it's looking a lot messier than this due to a current project...

The Project:

I had this grand idea breakdown some walls to reconfigure my TV and laundry rooms. (not too hard in New Zealand as most interior walls are timber frame, lined with "gib" (drywall).

Like pulling a loose thread on a jumper, this "little modification", turned into ripping out about 50sqm of ugly textured ceilings & useless loose fibre insulation. Then installing new insulation, downlights, and ceiling panels. I'm just finishing up the paintwork on one of the ceilings, then will post some before and after pictures.

Shiny New Tools:

There have been a number of planned (and unplanned) tool acquisitions since that workshop photo was taken. 3 of the favourites at the moment (in no particular order)

post-10758-0-13127300-1594678187_thumb.jpg

AEG Dual Bevel Compound Sliding Mitre Saw on mobile stand/cart.

post-10758-0-11890500-1594678276_thumb.jpg

and here we see it tucked away next to the toolboxes.

Next is the tool that scares me the most...

87a07c72e9892f8811472907a78dbf53.jpg

Makita trim router with plunge base.

And the latest addition to the fold:

Makita-SP6000J.jpg

Makita plunge/track to produce more accurate results than my regular circular saw.

So yeah, keen to hear about your setups as well as current, past & future projects!

Edited by patches

Started a show us your 'shop thread in April, looks like no-one was interested.

Here's a cut and paste from that thread. My untidy workshop

There are a number of folks on here that are rather handy with tools. Not all of the hub are tools.
So show us your “shop”.

I’ll start.

My garage although double is very short, so no room for a workbench inside.
About 2 years after moving in I built this 6x3m workshop behind the garage. It shares on wall with the garage and the height was restricted by the height of the eves of the garage.
A lot of the stuff has been donated, the garage door came from my parents house, the shelves, which are begging to be changed, we old cupboards from my dads company.
The workbench was from the house across the road from my parents. They bought the house from the old man that lived there, because he and I used to help each other out with DIY stuff he gave me the bench when he moved out. He was rather handy carpenter and built the bench himself.

514fd42af4b9b9fd6d02f1a27c5ecd3a.jpg

fd5209bcdacdd71efe4e4f307c57b571.jpg
I recently installed the bike stand. I’ve had it for about a year but only now got around to mounting it.
be72f867e21b22b34b8ff1f1d4b24e86.jpg

It’s modest, but it does the job.

Started a show us your 'shop thread in April, looks like no-one was interested.

Here's a cut and paste from that thread. My untidy workshop

There are a number of folks on here that are rather handy with tools. Not all of the hub are tools.

So show us your “shop”.

I’ll start.

My garage although double is very short, so no room for a workbench inside.

About 2 years after moving in I built this 6x3m workshop behind the garage. It shares on wall with the garage and the height was restricted by the height of the eves of the garage.

A lot of the stuff has been donated, the garage door came from my parents house, the shelves, which are begging to be changed, we old cupboards from my dads company.

The workbench was from the house across the road from my parents. They bought the house from the old man that lived there, because he and I used to help each other out with DIY stuff he gave me the bench when he moved out. He was rather handy carpenter and built the bench himself.

514fd42af4b9b9fd6d02f1a27c5ecd3a.jpg

fd5209bcdacdd71efe4e4f307c57b571.jpg

I recently installed the bike stand. I’ve had it for about a year but only now got around to mounting it.

be72f867e21b22b34b8ff1f1d4b24e86.jpg

It’s modest, but it does the job.

Aah yeah, I think I have posted in a "show us your shop" thread before. It's a pity it didn't gain traction. As you say, there are some hubbers out there who are pretty skilled with their hands.

I like the idea of the upside down bike clamp. Gives one plenty of space to move around the bike, and no tripping over tripod legs. How low is it when a bike isn't on? Have you ever hit your head on it by accident?

Aah yeah, I think I have posted in a "show us your shop" thread before. It's a pity it didn't gain traction. As you say, there are some hubbers out there who are pretty skilled with their hands.

I like the idea of the upside down bike clamp. Gives one plenty of space to move around the bike, and no tripping over tripod legs. How low is it when a bike isn't on? Have you ever hit your head on it by accident?

I’m 1.75m and my head just brushes against it.

The plan was/is to give it the ability to hinge up out the way when not in use, but my welding skills and the lockdown level we had at time failed me.

Lockdown makes lots of projects stall. My work space is a mess due to shelf failing in rains last few days. as such rest of projects on hold till its replaced. I will be trying to make space better organised after as garage is shitty as is. I did build a router table that works. Its nothing epic but a good start :)

"Recent" project. I say recent as it started during lock down but only had the final finishing touches put on this weekend.

(Fortunately in NZ one could get building supplies delivered after we downgraded from the highest level of lockdown).

So here's the first part... TV room remodel.

Once upon a time, someone decided it was a good idea to build some custom cabinetry for the TV area, with some shelves and a little "computer nook".

The downside was that anything bigger than a 43" TV on the wall and it starts to look odd.

Here's the before:

post-10758-0-19383200-1595191601_thumb.jpg

(65" TV for scale)

Further to the dated cabinetry was a lovely textured ceiling and an exquisite "chandelier".

post-10758-0-75238100-1595191794_thumb.jpg

So I put my engineering and tradie (NZ and Aus speak for tradesman) skills to the test and this was what followed

First I did a quick 3D model of the concept. What I thought the end result may look like (I needed the missus to buy into the idea of a desk-jocky tearing down walls and attempting to be a builder).

post-10758-0-26863400-1595191946_thumb.png

The concept was approved, so then came the design.

Fortunately in NZ most little piggies have their houses built form sticks, so moving walls is easy.

I modelled up the existing wall internals and marked up all the structure I wanted to remove (in red), after verifying that it was non-load bearing of course  :ph34r:

post-10758-0-77380200-1595192055_thumb.png

I also modelled up the next phase (new wall to replace the red stuff)

post-10758-0-31214100-1595192261_thumb.png

Then the messy, dusty stuff began. The deconstruction.

And finally, some building works.

post-10758-0-48386100-1595192444_thumb.jpg

(New framed wall in foreground. Some of the existing wall in the background. I was waiting until the new wall was up before demolishing all the parts I wanted to remove).

I added the drywall sheets and called it a weekend.

post-10758-0-65764900-1595192859_thumb.jpg

(note the gap in the ceiling just near the new wall. This was a remnant of the removed cabinetry).

Next was those nasty ceilings, so I created a Dexter room and ripped them out.

post-10758-0-76919200-1595193006_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-31367900-1595193167_thumb.jpg

Installed new insulation

post-10758-0-02956400-1595193210_thumb.jpg

And lifted new ceilings into place

post-10758-0-48312700-1595193262_thumb.jpg

(the experienced among you will laugh at my scrappy drywall plastering :lol: Nothing that tons of sanding cant fix :ph34r: )

After cornices, loads more sanding, priming, painting, running AV cables, mounting TV and soundbar etc...

It was time for the finishing touch (only added this past weekend).

It was time to cut a hole into the prized entertainment unit. (The missus was VERY hesitant and reluctant to trust me on this one).

So I measured up, made a ghetto jig for the router and cut a giant hole in the back  :ph34r:

post-10758-0-74358300-1595193691_thumb.jpg

Which with a bit of luck (and measuring 20 times, juuuust to make sure) lined up with the wall sockets

post-10758-0-70251000-1595193770_thumb.jpg

So after all that (and if you are still reading)...

the Before

post-10758-0-19383200-1595191601_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-75238100-1595191794_thumb.jpg

the After

post-10758-0-57896300-1595193954_thumb.jpg

(the "chandelier" got replaced with 2 smart Zigbee downlights controlled by a Philips Hue)

post-10758-0-75637600-1595193978_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-53273000-1595194044_thumb.jpg

Loads of blood, sweat (and a few tears), but it has been an awesome journey and learning experience, and I feel the end was worth it.

• 1 month later...

The cordless revolution has begun!

attachicon.gif20200909_114525.jpg

Lekker. I am waiting to see if I manage to sell my house, and have already drawn up plans for building a part of the new garage into a semi workshop with some rollable cabinets, one of which will include a self-built table-saw using a circular saw that can be removed if needed. I am still undecided if I should go wired or battery powered, and then DeWalt is seemingly giving me these sexy glances..

But now that I see this, mmmmmm.

Lekker. I am waiting to see if I manage to sell my house, and have already drawn up plans for building a part of the new garage into a semi workshop with some rollable cabinets, one of which will include a self-built table-saw using a circular saw that can be removed if needed. I am still undecided if I should go wired or battery powered, and then DeWalt is seemingly giving me these sexy glances..

IMO powered over cordless for a table saw use case. The battery operated ones are great for on the go cutting, but the added benefit of being able to use an inline switch and a dead-switch solution when you've got a powered saw makes it FAR safer to use than a battery powered one in the same role.

IMO powered over cordless for a table saw use case. The battery operated ones are great for on the go cutting, but the added benefit of being able to use an inline switch and a dead-switch solution when you've got a powered saw makes it FAR safer to use than a battery powered one in the same role.

Thanks. I never even considered that option. A dead-switch is a must on a table saw in my humble reckoning, so ja, corded it will be. 

Thanks. I never even considered that option. A dead-switch is a must on a table saw in my humble reckoning, so ja, corded it will be. 

Tablesaw, router table etc etc. If it's not hand-held or hand-actuated, it needs a dead-switch. IMO. I've seen too many instances where just one thing needed to have gone differently for it to be catastrophic. 

Tablesaw, router table etc etc. If it's not hand-held or hand-actuated, it needs a dead-switch. IMO. I've seen too many instances where just one thing needed to have gone differently for it to be catastrophic. 

Adding a huge E-Stop is like R150 bucks odd and some wiring (normal plug with button), If your system doesn't have one add it!

AC/DC is where i got my supplies

post-86802-0-24425800-1599661373_thumb.jpg

https://wood.tools4.co.za/product/combination-saw-gtm-12-professional/

Dis net jammer die goed kos 'n klein fortuin......

Maar ek het 'n baie sagte plek vir die blou goed....