Wheels, Workshops and Wood.

patches

The cordless revolution has begun!

attachicon.gif20200909_114525.jpg

Viva amakoddliss viva!

I'm running cordless on most of my power-tools (most of them AEG) and have yet to have an issue. Only minor one I had was more from user error. Was using the circular saw to cut up some old skirting board. The convenience of the battery was awesome as I could do this right at the skip.

The issue... the saw didn't like that the work piece was flimsy and handheld so the blade kept binding. I should have taken that as a hint, but tried to power through and got some major kickback in the form on un-removed nail into my thumb. Lesson learnt!

What I would recommend for the battery powered circ is a good quality blade with a thin kerf. Diablo blades are my go to and run them on my cordless circular saw and my corded track saw.

Lekker. I am waiting to see if I manage to sell my house, and have already drawn up plans for building a part of the new garage into a semi workshop with some rollable cabinets, one of which will include a self-built table-saw using a circular saw that can be removed if needed. I am still undecided if I should go wired or battery powered, and then DeWalt is seemingly giving me these sexy glances..

But now that I see this, mmmmmm.

IMO powered over cordless for a table saw use case. The battery operated ones are great for on the go cutting, but the added benefit of being able to use an inline switch and a dead-switch solution when you've got a powered saw makes it FAR safer to use than a battery powered one in the same role.

Thanks. I never even considered that option. A dead-switch is a must on a table saw in my humble reckoning, so ja, corded it will be. 

Tablesaw, router table etc etc. If it's not hand-held or hand-actuated, it needs a dead-switch. IMO. I've seen too many instances where just one thing needed to have gone differently for it to be catastrophic. 

These are a little pricey but are pretty awesome if you're wanting high quality, accuracy AND flexibility.

81bQGWaZPsL.jpg

e3bafdc2-b1e0-11e9-80fe-005056b31774_160

Festool CMS system. This one is setup running a TS55 track saw underneath. They also make an insert plate to run a router (turning it into a router table).

They have the killswitch all figured out as Festool has removable power cords on most of their tools so one just unplugs the regular cord on the track saw, installs the saw onto the insert plate, then plugs in the killswitch cord. As for the track saw's regular switch, they just clamp that to permanent "on" with a clip.

Being Festool though, it costs a small fortune, but it is highly flexible, modular, accurate, and portable.

Adding a huge E-Stop is like R150 bucks odd and some wiring (normal plug with button), If your system doesn't have one add it!

AC/DC is where i got my supplies

attachicon.gifgtm_12_professional.jpg

https://wood.tools4.co.za/product/combination-saw-gtm-12-professional/

Dis net jammer die goed kos 'n klein fortuin......

Maar ek het 'n baie sagte plek vir die blou goed....

When I was shopping around for a mitre saw I wanted one of those pretty badly. Unfortunately they are not available/discontinued in New Zealand. Not a bad price though seeing as a regular Bosch 254mm sliding compound mitre saw here will cost about that.

Edited by patches

A new little addition to the garage/workshop.

Fold down workbench and peg board.

post-10758-0-17321600-1599689090_thumb.jpg

post-10758-0-20642700-1599689105_thumb.jpg

The addition of a Google Home hub is pretty handy. I use it to operate my front and back garage doors, garage light, play music, see who's at the front door (with Nest Hello doorbell) or bring up instructions/YouTube vids on things I'm working on.

"Hey google, how do you keep a garage tidy"

Note: this was the last time this bench was uncluttered  :ph34r:

accompanied by a little charging station I slapped together with some 12mm ply I had lying around

post-10758-0-03797200-1599689164_thumb.jpg

The little orange plastic battery holder is an aftermarket thing I got from 48 Tools in Aus. Pretty smart idea. He makes them for a number of battery brands.

Edited by patches

Those things are for on site work, not really a space saving tool for your workshop. It’s better than nothing, but probably not worth it. Had one ages ago, it didn’t do either function well. Sucks as a tablesaw, iffy results as a mitre saw.

A new little addition to the garage/workshop.

Fold down workbench and peg board.

attachicon.gifIMG-20200812-WA0014.jpg

attachicon.gif20200812_195258.jpg

The addition of a Google Home hub is pretty handy. I use it to operate my front and back garage doors, garage light, play music, see who's at the front door (with Nest Hello doorbell) or bring up instructions/YouTube vids on things I'm working on.

"Hey google, how do you keep a garage tidy"

Note: this was the last time this bench was uncluttered  :ph34r:

accompanied by a little charging station I slapped together with some 12mm ply I had lying around

attachicon.gif20200819_121123.jpg

The little orange plastic battery holder is an aftermarket thing I got from 48 Tools in Aus. Pretty smart idea. He makes them for a number of battery brands.

I've heard stories in the states of robbers shouting at Alex's through the window to open the front door!

Kyk, nou loop die kwyl behoorlik uit my bek uit. Die blou goed is baie mooi. Ek het 'n Bosch yskas wat fantasties is. Ek reken ek sal bietjie ondersoek instel. Ek hoef nie geel te gaan met DeWalt nie...

As a first choice I would naturally want Festool any day of the week, but when paying in ronts, they are just not viable as a hobbyist pursuit.

I've heard stories in the states of robbers shouting at Alex's through the window to open the front door!

hahaha I read something similar in the comments section of a Youtube video on how to install a wifi relay on your garage door motors.

I mute the mic on mine 95% of the time, for that reason.

Also the instruction to open them isn't "hey google, open front garage door" It's a little more cryptic than that  :ph34r: :lol:

That said, it is HUGELY convenient. Last year I was in Las Vegas for a conference and I was having one of my Husky enduro bikes shipped up from Christchurch to Auckland. The delivery was scheduled for the week before I left for the US, but it got delayed and they came to drop off the bike while I was 11,000km away. They called to see if I was home. I answered from the Shelby Museum and opened the garage door via my smartphone, almost instantly. They pushed the bike into the garage and I then closed it once it was safely tucked away.

hahaha I read something similar in the comments section of a Youtube video on how to install a wifi relay on your garage door motors.

I mute the mic on mine 95% of the time, for that reason.

Also the instruction to open them isn't "hey google, open front garage door" It's a little more cryptic than that  :ph34r:  :lol:

That said, it is HUGELY convenient. Last year I was in Las Vegas for a conference and I was having one of my Husky enduro bikes shipped up from Christchurch to Auckland. The delivery was scheduled for the week before I left for the US, but it got delayed and they came to drop off the bike while I was 11,000km away. They called to see if I was home. I answered from the Shelby Museum and opened the garage door via my smartphone, almost instantly. They pushed the bike into the garage and I then closed it once it was safely tucked away.

I can only imagine how that will go here in SA.

"Homeowner on another continent? Okay, let's help ourselves fella's."

the other side...

So as per my post on the first page, I built a wall to transform the living room. That wall had another side to it and my DIY efforts lately have been focused on that room. The laundry.

To Saffers and Brits living in regular middle-class having a washing machine in the kitchen is pretty much the norm. For Kiwis it seems bizarre. So they dedicate a small room/closet to "the laundry".

My laundry was just that. A weird closet, off to the side of the kitchen. It was functional enough, but not ideal. And it was pretty unattractive.

post-10758-0-32147000-1600032980_thumb.jpeg

post-10758-0-94364100-1600033046_thumb.jpg

Unfortunatley I don't have a proper "before" picture, this was during demo. But here you can see the laundry cupboard (right) and a little cleaners cupboard (left) at the start of demolition.

post-10758-0-08307700-1600033138_thumb.jpg

So to simplify things I demolished all the non-structural walls and tried to create a clan slate. I lined the new wall with wet-area rated drywall. I also installed new ceilings, insulation and lighting.

The wood piece in the lower centre of the wall is an access hatch so I can add/modify the CAT6 network I have running into the back of the TV cabinet on the other side of wall. Lower right access hatch is for  piping.

post-10758-0-43323600-1600033420_thumb.jpg

I also had to rebuild the little window trim and sill as the previous wall intersected it (and looked pretty crappy)

post-10758-0-61316200-1600033153_thumb.jpg

Then it was plastering and painting to get it ready for the new fit-out.

post-10758-0-91974600-1600033180_thumb.jpg

Then came the fit-out. This was the only part I didn't do myself. I don't tryst myself to fabricate cabinetry yet. So yeah, simple white satin finish cupboards, a caesar stone counter top and a more modern sink to replace the trusty-but-ugly kiwi "super-tub"

post-10758-0-37730700-1600033504_thumb.jpg

then 2 weekends ago it was time to try my hand at tiling. Some simple long subway tiles for a backsplash. The laser level and spacers made it pretty easy.

post-10758-0-79442700-1600033564_thumb.jpg

Add grout, trim and silicone and tadaaah! Done!

...or so I thought. After a lot of deliberation we started second guessing our choice in tiles and the subtlety of the cool-white walls vs the warm-white tiles started to play on our minds.

So this weekend I undertook the heartbreaking task of removing all those tiles off the wall, and reinstating the substrate to receive new, and different tiles. What those are we don't know. But they will be bolder and more of a feature piece than the safe-bet white subways.

10 steps forward. 2 steps back. Watch this space.

Edited by patches

the other side...

So as per my post on the first page, I built a wall to transform the living room. That wall had another side to it and my DIY efforts lately have been focused on that room. The laundry.

To Saffers and Brits living in regular middle-class having a washing machine in the kitchen is pretty much the norm. For Kiwis it seems bizarre. So they dedicate a small room/closet to "the laundry".

My laundry was just that. A weird closet, off to the side of the kitchen. It was functional enough, but not ideal. And it was pretty unattractive.

IMG-20200107-WA0010.jpeg

20200425_124314.jpg

Unfortunatley I don't have a proper "before" picture, this was during demo. But here you can see the laundry cupboard (right) and a little cleaners cupboard (left) at the start of demolition.

20200808_102631.jpg

So to simplify things I demolished all the non-structural walls and tried to create a clan slate. I lined the new wall with wet-area rated drywall. I also installed new ceilings, insulation and lighting.

The wood piece in the lower centre of the wall is an access hatch so I can add/modify the CAT6 network I have running into the back of the TV cabinet on the other side of wall. Lower right access hatch is for piping.

20200813_165655.jpg

I also had to rebuild the little window trim and sill as the previous wall intersected it (and looked pretty crappy)

20200817_221809.jpg

20200823_124827.jpg

Then came the fit-out. This was the only part I didn't do myself. I don't tryst myself to fabricate cabinetry yet. So yeah, simple white satin finish cupboards, a caesar stone counter top and a more modern sink to replace the trusty-but-ugly kiwi "super-tub"

20200905_154809.jpg

then 2 weekends ago it was time to try my hand at tiling. Some simple long subway tiles for a backsplash. The laser level and spacers made it pretty easy.

20200909_214934.jpg

...or so I thought. After a lot of deliberation we started second guessing our choice in tiles and the subtlety of the cool-white walls vs the warm-white tiles started to play on our minds.

So this weekend I undertook the heartbreaking task of removing all those tiles off the wall, and reinstating the substrate to receive new, and different tiles. What those are we don't know. But they will be bolder and more of a feature piece than the safe-bet white subways.

Great job, dude!

the other side...

attachicon.gifIMG-20200107-WA0010.jpeg

attachicon.gif20200425_124314.jpg

attachicon.gif20200808_102631.jpg

The wood piece in the lower centre of the wall is an access hatch so I can add/modify the CAT6 network I have running into the back of the TV cabinet on the other side of wall. Lower right access hatch is for  piping.

attachicon.gif20200813_165655.jpg

attachicon.gif20200817_221809.jpg

attachicon.gif20200823_124827.jpg

attachicon.gif20200905_154809.jpg

attachicon.gif20200909_214934.jpg

this is where i wish SA houses we built with drywall inside. There are a few internal walls I'd like to take down and other I'd like to move, much less of a daunting task when they are not brick and mortar

this is where i wish SA houses we built with drywall inside. There are a few internal walls I'd like to take down and other I'd like to move, much less of a daunting task when they are not brick and mortar

Yeah agreed 110%. We watch a lot of HGTV and in just about every reno, they move walls to suit their needs.

When I bought my house it had a separate kitchen, lounge and dinning room and they were all on the smallish side. I removed 2 walls, one was load bearing so put in a wooden beam and built an island around it. We now have a massive open plan kitchen and dinning area. The room next to it is like an entertainment area that I opened up by removing the sliding doors and that is now our lounge. 

The one wall I smashed it down myself with a sledge hammer. It took the whole day and I was a bit sore the next few days. The 2nd wall I hired a jack hammer and 2 hours later it was done. But both the sledge and jack hammers were good fun.

Yeah agreed 110%. We watch a lot of HGTV and in just about every reno, they move walls to suit their needs.

When I bought my house it had a separate kitchen, lounge and dinning room and they were all on the smallish side. I removed 2 walls, one was load bearing so put in a wooden beam and built an island around it. We now have a massive open plan kitchen and dinning area. The room next to it is like an entertainment area that I opened up by removing the sliding doors and that is now our lounge.

The one wall I smashed it down myself with a sledge hammer. It took the whole day and I was a bit sore the next few days. The 2nd wall I hired a jack hammer and 2 hours later it was done. But both the sledge and jack hammers were good fun.

The sledge becomes type 2 fun after a while, but damn is it satisfying.

I beam. Scaffold jack thing. Just determine if it's load bearing or not.