27.5+ tyre width options

pentzil

Hi hubbers! I’m currently running 27.5 3.0 inch tyres on my Stumpy. Instead of swapping out to 29er wheels I’m looking at slapping some 2.8 Maxxis DHF tyres on it. But my only concern is that the BB height will drop by putting smaller tyres on.

Can someone please advice me on if the smaller tyre size will drop the BB significantly? Would it be possible to put some 2.6 inch tyres on?

Thanks everyone!

I have a Specialized Fuse with 27.5x3.0 tires and also thought of doing this but in the end decided to stick to the 3” tires as the BB is already low and hitting pedals regularly. Slightly better with the 29er wheels on so I can just imagine it will be much worse running 27.5x2.8? Not sure of the BB height of your bike compared to mine however.

Go for it, not gonna make much of a difference. And anything will be a big upgrade over those Spez 3.0" tyres with the control casings.

My only suggestion, buy the Spez Butcher/Butcher or Butcher/Slaughter combo in 2.8 Grid casings. The grid casings give much more stability and allow you to run pressures plus tyres were intended to be run at (Black Diamond casing even better if you can find stock). Spez is also the only brand that makes reasonably priced plus tyres.

Lastly, you are not gonna find 2.8 DHFs in SA. Only Rekon and Ikon plus are imported in SA - and they run small - closer to 2.6 than 2.8.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Go for it, not gonna make much of a difference. And anything will be a big upgrade over those Spez 3.0" tyres with the control casings.

My only suggestion, buy the Spez Butcher/Butcher or Butcher/Slaughter combo in 2.8 Grid casings. The grid casings give much more stability and allow you to run pressures plus tyres were intended to be run at (Black Diamond casing even better if you can find stock). Spez is also the only brand that makes reasonably priced plus tyres.

Lastly, you are not gonna find 2.8 DHFs in SA. Only Rekon and Ikon plus are imported in SA - and they run small - closer to 2.6 than 2.8.

There are a few Elim 275 BD's laying around locally, after severe badgering from myself, Cuan and teh rest. 

There are a few Elim 275 BD's laying around locally, after severe badgering from myself, Cuan and teh rest.

In 2.8 inch variety? I have seen BD Eliminators in 2.6 but that's about it...

OP, if you can find an Eliminator, get it. Brilliant tyre!

In 2.8 inch variety? I have seen BD Eliminators in 2.6 but that's about it...

OP, if you can find an Eliminator, get it. Brilliant tyre!

2.6 27.5 in black diamond. Landed a couple of weeks ago. Limited numbers because spaz SA doesn't believe in BD for 27.5 Elim. It took about a year of bickering before even a special order was considered.

2.6 27.5 in black diamond. Landed a couple of weeks ago. Limited numbers because spaz SA doesn't believe in BD for 27.5 Elim. It took about a year of bickering before even a special order was considered.

CJVan here on the hub went to a Spaz store last week - asked for a Slaughter or Eliminator 2.3 in BD casing (his bike won't fit 2.6). Sales guy told him the BD casing is meant only for ebikes.... really!?

I have a 2.6 Eli in BD on the rear of my bike now. I love it. Only issue is it's actually too wide and clearance is tight. I'd really want a fast rolling tread (Slaughter) in 2.3 for the rear. But alas... in SA decent casings are only imported on tyres you'd put on the front of your bike where you don't need it (I run Grid Eli 2.6 front). Someone please explain that (lack of) logic to me...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

But anyway, 2.6 will be a bit small for the OP.

CJVan here on the hub went to a Spaz store last week - asked for a Slaughter or Eliminator 2.3 in BD casing (his bike won't fit 2.6). Sales guy told him the BD casing is meant only for ebikes.... really!?

I have a 2.6 Eli in BD on the rear of my bike now. I love it. Only issue is it's actually too wide and clearance is tight. I'd really want a fast rolling tread (Slaughter) in 2.3 for the rear. But alas... in SA decent casings are only imported on tyres you'd put on the front of your bike where you don't need it (I run Grid Eli 2.6 front). Someone please explain that (lack of) logic to me...

Dude. There is no logic. Not one Aggressor DD / DH being brought in. Not. One. We had to fight and fight and fight and now when the elim 275 be is finally here, I've got a blown turbo and mounting covid related bills (market is still down, so earnings are down) and I can't buy the feckers. But they're here, finally. I think they brought 6 or 12. ????????‍♂️

If the Ikon came in a DD casing it would be ON MY BIKE.

The 275 x 2.8 DHF and DHRII on my shelf say otherwise...

OP, PM me if you're interested. 

Those ones in the netting bag thing? I was sure I'd remembered you having em, but wasn't sure if you still did. 

Hi hubbers! I’m currently running 27.5 3.0 inch tyres on my Stumpy. Instead of swapping out to 29er wheels I’m looking at slapping some 2.8 Maxxis DHF tyres on it. But my only concern is that the BB height will drop by putting smaller tyres on.

Can someone please advice me on if the smaller tyre size will drop the BB significantly? Would it be possible to put some 2.6 inch tyres on?

Thanks everyone!

If you do try the 2.8’s let us know how it works out and how it compares with the 3.0’s.

Good to know. When I was looking for them a while back I was told by Rush they would not be bringing them in. But that was a while back...

Thanks everyone for the feedback, after speaking to the guys at Specialized as well I’ve decided to go against 2.8” as it will just drop the BB too much.

I’ve decided to try get a set of 29ers instead and probably run 2.4 or 2.5 tyres on it. So if anyone wants a set of 27.5” rims I have some for sale ????

For anyone who’s interested I did speak to a guy who ran 2.8” on a stumpy as well and he said the cornering was way better but the pedal strikes became way too frequent.

Good to know. When I was looking for them a while back I was told by Rush they would not be bringing them in. But that was a while back...

Scott also bring in Maxxis. And some weird ones at that.